Firearm enthusiast thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If you haven't got a Garand from the CMP you need to do it now.

They will run out.

So glad I got mine years ago.

I'd sell every other firearm I own but this.

Ok, the AR would go last but I'd still sell it to keep the Garand if need be.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Cmp is a bitch to order from, does my CCW qualify me or do I really have to get a RO to sign off on a shooting form?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
remy 770 .308 bolt-action.. mag out, one cartidge

cNt9a8Cl.jpg

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You know…I kind of have a mini-bitch to make.

This may just be the area that I live in, but it is literally impossible for most people here to train for any kind of active shooting. I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot on a piece of private property but that will be coming to an end soon. Quite literally, there is not one range where I live that allows for anything even remotely closet to active shooting, or IPSC training. You are not allowed to "draw-fire", you are not allowed to move and fire, no steel targets of any kind are allowed. Some ranges around here even ban what they call "rapid fire" (and no full auto firearms are legal either). You basically go to the firing line, put your gun on a paper target, shoot some rounds, and then step slowly away.

I guess what I'm trying to say is how is anyone supposed to actually train for any real world situation when you can only do one kind of shooting? Even our concealed carry class ($300, BTW) is absurd. Zero real world training is involved and you qualify at 10 freaking yards. I've long told anyone that if you are 30' away from someone, turn and walk/run away.

either way, end rant. I'm just getting nervous because soon I'm going to be put into general population and it will be an end to what I consider to be fun shooting.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Cmp is a bitch to order from, does my CCW qualify me or do I really have to get a RO to sign off on a shooting form?

No, its not a bitch to order from:

Get an FFL03 Collector of Curio and Relics.
Join the Garand Collectors Association.

Those two things satisfy all requirements.

I got a garand and i live in California.

Get a Garand before theyre gone. They will run out and the market price will double overnight.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
You know…I kind of have a mini-bitch to make.

This may just be the area that I live in, but it is literally impossible for most people here to train for any kind of active shooting. I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot on a piece of private property but that will be coming to an end soon. Quite literally, there is not one range where I live that allows for anything even remotely closet to active shooting, or IPSC training. You are not allowed to "draw-fire", you are not allowed to move and fire, no steel targets of any kind are allowed. Some ranges around here even ban what they call "rapid fire" (and no full auto firearms are legal either). You basically go to the firing line, put your gun on a paper target, shoot some rounds, and then step slowly away.

I guess what I'm trying to say is how is anyone supposed to actually train for any real world situation when you can only do one kind of shooting? Even our concealed carry class ($300, BTW) is absurd. Zero real world training is involved and you qualify at 10 freaking yards. I've long told anyone that if you are 30' away from someone, turn and walk/run away.

either way, end rant. I'm just getting nervous because soon I'm going to be put into general population and it will be an end to what I consider to be fun shooting.

You could always start your own private club and train others. Buy a piece of property and start a range.

Expensive but an option.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You could always start your own private club and train others. Buy a piece of property and start a range.

Expensive but an option.

To be flat out honest...I've really thought hard about this option. Get some other motivated people together, buy some land, make a range for this kind of shooting sports.

Something else that is nonexistent where I live is an urban training airsoft center. I have a cousin that lives in Washington state that is hardcore into it. At first I'll admit that I thought it was a joke...the more I see of it, I'm really starting to come around to it.

*EDIT*

Oh...and I'm still REALLY chewing on that CZ Scorpion...big time...

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
To be flat out honest...I've really thought hard about this option. Get some other motivated people together, buy some land, make a range for this kind of shooting sports.

Something else that is nonexistent where I live is an urban training airsoft center. I have a cousin that lives in Washington state that is hardcore into it. At first I'll admit that I thought it was a joke...the more I see of it, I'm really starting to come around to it.

*EDIT*

Oh...and I'm still REALLY chewing on that CZ Scorpion...big time...

Interestingly enough A relative of mine has some nearby land he said he may not mind setting up a small rage on.
My folks are also talking about moving from suburbia out into a more rural area. One of the criteria being that there is enough space to go shooting whenever we want to.
THINGS ARE LOOKING UP!
Far as the Scorpion goes, get one or build a 9MM AR.
If I didn't already have my UZI that would be my train of thought really.
9MM AR for familiarity, just build an upper & use it on just about any lower, lets you shoot at indoor ranges that my not let you shoot a rifle.
CZ Scorpion, well... It's just fuggen awesome.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Has anyone shot any of the Beretta 92 series? I'm looking for a 45 and always wanted a Beretta.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Has anyone shot any of the Beretta 92 series? I'm looking for a 45 and always wanted a Beretta.

Too lazy to google it but did they make a 92 in .45? Also I am particularly fond of the 9mm. Shot alot of 9mm through one.

HellioN

20 Year Member

The 92 series isn't available in .45acp. Only .22, 9mm, & .40.
Otherwise they are great guns. Reliable and accurate.
It wide acceptance by police and militaries has made the aftermarket a wonderful place for them. There is almost nothing you can't get for one.
Magazines are dirt cheap for them.
Most common complaints seem to be the overall size of the gun & the slide mounted safety.
I fall into the second camp but the "problem" is fixed with training or buying a D (double action only) or G (decocker only) model.
It's probably the only gun I regret selling & will probably get another one some day.
Otherwise the 8000 series Cougar (8045) was available in .45ACP and currently the PX4 is as well if you are OK with a polymer frame.
Stoger out of turkey still makes the cougar on original Beretta machinery & can be had in .45ACP.
The 8000 & PX4 series are quality guns as well & the Turkish make Cougar is good too.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Oh shit I don't know why I thought it was chambered in 45, hmm I really don't like polymer guns. I wouldn't mind having a 40. They just look so damn right.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Oh shit I don't know why I thought it was chambered in 45, hmm I really don't like polymer guns. I wouldn't mind having a 40. They just look so damn right.

The 96 is good. Most mags are 11 rounds but mecgar makes a 13 flush fit & 15 extended for a few extra bucks.
I would seriously recommend you consider the 9mm over the .40 s&w the. If for nothing else magazine cost & capacity.
Otherwise 95% of the accessories, including holsters, work.
I strongly recommend trying one out before buying if you haven't shot one before, they really are big.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
The 96 is good. Most mags are 11 rounds but mecgar makes a 13 flush fit & 15 extended for a few extra bucks.
I would seriously recommend you consider the 9mm over the .40 s&w the. If for nothing else magazine cost & capacity.
I strongly recommend trying one out before buying if you haven't shot one before, they really are big.

I own too many 9's as it is, I'm trying to add some variety to the collection. I have always wanted a 92fs though.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

100%

9mm>.40 S&W...I love 9mm more than any other pistol round.

(I will say I have an odd love affair with .357 SIG and 10mm though...)

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
At one point in time I had 5 92 variants and god damn I love them. The cool thing about 96 (.40 S&W) slides is you can drop a 9mm barrel in them and they work just fine. You can't go the other way around though.

HellioN

20 Year Member
I own too many 9's as it is, I'm trying to add some variety to the collection. I have always wanted a 92fs though.

I bet that, it's kinda why I wanted a .40 for a while.
I was initially looking for a range toy. I ended up with a Glock 23 because I couldn't resist the price.
So I bought it and a bunch of mags & 500 rounds.
My ultimate conclusion, .40 as&w is OK. But. It's just OK.
It's the gold standard of mediocrity.
Yes, it's bigger than 9mm.
Yes, it holds more rounds than .45ACP.
It smack in the middle of them, almost literally the middle child of service calibers.
It's OK at everything it does & simultaneity not.
9MM will always beat it on capacity and .45ACP will always beat it on size.
Now I'm not trying to say never get a .40, just be prepared to overspend and be underwhelmed.
It's biggest advantage seems to be availability in a panic. When 9MM & .45ACP can't be found .40 s&w will be there like that sad ex girlfriend who can't quite let go. And in that moment you'll be happy she's there. Only to be forgotten again when the other two come back around.
If you really want a .40 I recommend a used Glock 22 or 23. Then buy a drop in 9MM barrel for it.
That's what I'll end up doing with my G23.
But hey, these are my opinions.
Ultimately, get what makes you happy.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
The 40 is also cheaper and a higher velocity round if those things are important to you. I love my cz 9 and don't think I could love anything more but I like having toys.

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
I actually like .40s&w a lot, don't really get the hate for it. If I'm going to the range .45acp is absolutely my favorite (I own too many 1911s), but I find the balance between weight and stopping power makes .40 S&w a fantastic round for carry pistols. I have a Sig p239 in .40 that I used to conceal carry all the time and I love that thing.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I was initially looking for a range toy. I ended up with a Glock 23 because I couldn't resist the price.
It smack in the middle of them, almost literally the middle child of service calibers.
Now I'm not trying to say never get a .40, just be prepared to overspend and be underwhelmed.
It's biggest advantage seems to be availability in a panic. When 9MM & .45ACP can't be found .40 s&w will be there like that sad ex girlfriend who can't quite let go. And in that moment you'll be happy she's there. Only to be forgotten again when the other two come back around.
If you really want a .40 I recommend a used Glock 22 or 23. Then buy a drop in 9MM barrel for it.

Nailed it. Exactly how I feel about the .40

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

The .40 is thought of by many as the answer to the question that no one asked.

With 9mm offering such a huge range of ammo types, you can literally go from 115-147gr, truncated cone, FMJ, HP, bonded, NATO spec, +P, +P+...you name it, they make it. It can literally be whatever you want. They even make freak, ultra light, ultra high velocity rounds that by what I've seen, can defeat light body armor.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-fragmenting-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr6h44Pu4sM&t=298s

With all of this ammo on the market, and 9mm being not only cheaper range time, and easier to control, I do not personally see a reason to have any other pistol caliber at this point. You also get 16+ rounds in a full size pistol, my XDm holds 19 +1.

Build a 9mm AR, pick up an UZI, Beretta Storm, or CZ Scorpion and you get a great pistol/carbine combo that will all eat the same ammo.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
The .40 is thought of by many as the answer to the question that no one asked.

With 9mm offering such a huge range of ammo types, you can literally go from 115-147gr, truncated cone, FMJ, HP, bonded, NATO spec, +P, +P+...you name it, they make it. It can literally be whatever you want. They even make freak, ultra light, ultra high velocity rounds that by what I've seen, can defeat light body armor.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-fragmenting-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr6h44Pu4sM&t=298s

With all of this ammo on the market, and 9mm being not only cheaper range time, and easier to control, I do not personally see a reason to have any other pistol caliber at this point. You also get 16+ rounds in a full size pistol, my XDm holds 19 +1.

Build a 9mm AR, pick up an UZI, Beretta Storm, or CZ Scorpion and you get a great pistol/carbine combo that will all eat the same ammo.

Consistency with ammo types is always nice as well. One caliber for several firearms is a huge bonus and saves on carrying multiple rounds for multiple guns when the zombie apocalypse happens or communists invade.

And honestly 9mm is just as deadly as .45. At the end of the day lead to air ratio will rule.