Firearm enthusiast thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Bump in case ppl don't know we have this thread.

Well the CA legislature and Gov. Brown (who wasn't too bad on gun stuff) fucked us pretty hard this week.

Probably going to have to register some of my guns as "assault weapons" - I dunno. All kinds of bad shit from making it harder to get ammo to banning 10+ round magazine (ex post facto, bruh)

Not sure what I'll do :(

Man...I've been reading about all of that...such a shitty move. I have to say that I am 1000% not envious of your situation, what a mess.

Haven't been in this thread for a while...

Here's a AR "family" pic I made a few months back:

ar%20tree%202_zps9dyimlis.jpg

Last edited:

xorthen

Banned

Well the CA legislature and Gov. Brown (who wasn't too bad on gun stuff) fucked us pretty hard this week.

Probably going to have to register some of my guns as "assault weapons" - I dunno. All kinds of bad shit from making it harder to get ammo to banning 10+ round magazine (ex post facto, bruh)

Time to start collecting airsoft man.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!

Hope Trump gets the presidency and seats a pro 2A Justice.
That's really the only hope left. If Hillary gets in, she'll seat a liberal progressive to the SC and you can say goodbye to your rights.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Man...I've been reading about all of that...such a shitty move. I have to say that I am 1000% not envious of your situation, what a mess.

Haven't been in this thread for a while...

Here's a AR "family" pic I made a few months back:

ar%20tree%202_zps9dyimlis.jpg

Bought a pair of Ruger 556's a few weeks back. Unsure when I'm gonna build them, they're great out of the box.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Heading to the range have to test a few fresh loads before hunting season.

Edit: Glad to see guns on a video game site is acceptable. And sorry to those stuck in california. Tragic what people will do because they know best for there community. Though most of these congressman do not live in these areas...

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Looks like im getting my first legal gun soon. It was either a glock, ar15, or shotgun...Im going with the Mossberg 590 as my first for home defense.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Looks like im getting my first legal gun soon. It was either a glock, ar15, or shotgun...Im going with the Mossberg 590 as my first for home defense.

That's a solid choice. A good old "meat and potatoes" shotgun is always a smart move. They're not all glamorous like some others, but they sure are practical.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
That's a solid choice. A good old "meat and potatoes" shotgun is always a smart move. They're not all glamorous like some others, but they sure are practical.

Bought a Mossberg 500 just last week. I grew up shooting, but this is the first gun I bought on my own. CA is a big fucking pain in the ass. I had always thought that background checks/waiting periods were only for handguns; so I expected to be able to go get my shotty and be out within the hour.

First, after the salesman shows me the gun he goes and gets some manager who looks like an ex-cop. Asks me to see my safety certification card BS. I told him I'm buying a long gun... he says it doesn't matter, new law in 2015 and I need to have it. Told they could give me the test right there for $25. I asked him if I grew up shooting is it common sense to pass?... said he's seen numerous people fail it. I missed 1 out of 30 and I think the question I missed is technically wrong but whatever... Asshole tells me afterwords my hunting license would have been acceptable

So I fill out the paperwork for the gun; ex-cop disappears with it for 45mins which I expect is him doing a minor check on me or something. Comes back and says I am all set and I pay for my gun.

"Ok, your pickup date is 10 days from now..." What the fuck! Said there is now a waiting period on all guns in CA. This state is run by commies. All in all, took me close to 2 hours to buy the gun and picking it up took another hour for some reason. I suppose it's my own fault for not doing more "recent" research... but this was still a shitty experience.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Bought a Mossberg 500 just last week. I grew up shooting, but this is the first gun I bought on my own. CA is a big fucking pain in the ass. I had always thought that background checks/waiting periods were only for handguns; so I expected to be able to go get my shotty and be out within the hour.

First, after the salesman shows me the gun he goes and gets some manager who looks like an ex-cop. Asks me to see my safety certification card BS. I told him I'm buying a long gun... he says it doesn't matter, new law in 2015 and I need to have it. Told they could give me the test right there for $25. I asked him if I grew up shooting is it common sense to pass?... said he's seen numerous people fail it. I missed 1 out of 30 and I think the question I missed is technically wrong but whatever... Asshole tells me afterwords my hunting license would have been acceptable

So I fill out the paperwork for the gun; ex-cop disappears with it for 45mins which I expect is him doing a minor check on me or something. Comes back and says I am all set and I pay for my gun.

"Ok, your pickup date is 10 days from now..." What the fuck! Said there is now a waiting period on all guns in CA. This state is run by commies. All in all, took me close to 2 hours to buy the gun and picking it up took another hour for some reason. I suppose it's my own fault for not doing more "recent" research... but this was still a shitty experience.

That's definitely worse than in Illinois. We have a bullshit 24 hr "cool down" on long-guns, 72 hrs on handguns. You know...cuz I could be all murderous I guess. What really gets me is that the waiting period is in effect even on trades. If I walk in the door with a firearm, then trade it, the wait still applies. That one still gets me...

We have the lovely FOID system here...there's no on the spot test for that one. If you do not have one of those, it's a looong wait to get one. If you do not have a valid card, you aren't buying a firearm no matter how hard you try.

Last edited:

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner

That shitty neighbor with the tree is getting annoying, eh? haha. kidding.

anyway, nice choice. I'd suggest getting at AR soon, though. You never know what might happen if Hillary wins.

That's definitely worse than in Illinois. We have a bullshit 24 hr "cool down" on long-guns, 72 hrs on handguns. You know...cuz I could be all murderous I guess. What really gets me is that the waiting period is in effect even on trades. If I walk in the door with a firearm, then trade it, the wait still applies. That one still gets me...

We have the lovely FOID system here...there's no on the spot test for that one. If you do not have one of those, it's a looong wait to get one. If you do not have a valid card, you aren't buying a firearm no matter how hard you try.
yeah. the foid system is annoying. i got mine back when the wait wasn't too long. now it is pretty crazy. i had to get new cards and it's already been a month. also, i agree with you on the trade in thing. that doesn't make a lot of sense....but then again, most gun laws do not either.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
That shitty neighbor with the tree is getting annoying, eh? haha. kidding.

anyway, nice choice. I'd suggest getting at AR soon, though. You never know what might happen if Hillary wins.

yeah. the foid system is annoying. i got mine back when the wait wasn't too long. now it is pretty crazy. i had to get new cards and it's already been a month. also, i agree with you on the trade in thing. that doesn't make a lot of sense....but then again, most gun laws do not either.

Yeah i was planning to trim/shoot the branches off 30ft high trees!

Yeah i want to get an AR next. smokehouse, the ones you have are sweet looking. Around how much do one of those cost? Would it be better for me to build one, instead buying one & then doing upgrades?

uiengineer

Yeah i want to get an AR next. smokehouse, the ones you have are sweet looking. Around how much do one of those cost? Would it be better for me to build one, instead buying one & then doing upgrades?
building one would probably cost less. Palmetto State Armory is a nice site to dink around when looking for parts.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

ARs are crazy modular...so you kind of need to know what you want it for, then start from there.

I'm not a big "one size fits all" kind of guy. I have a short range AR, a more standard length 16" rifle, and a more precision based bench rifle.

Currently, you can buy a nice turn-key for not a ton of scratch. The basic Ruger, the S&W M&P...both are well made and fairly affordable.

You can build, but do take in mind that you need some tools to do the job correctly, and those aren't free. Also understand that nothing is for free so it's not like you can build that amazing AR for $500 or even close. While a stripped lower may only set you back $75...that's only one of a TON of pieces you need to build one.

To answer your question...

That AR pistol is probably somewhere around $1000-1250, the 16" rifle is also close to that. The bench rifle is more, I think that build set me back $1700-1800. Also take in mind that I've been amassing those since 2010...so we're talking 6 years of effort.

TonK

Least Valuable Player

The Ruger 556 is an amazing piece for the price. Take a look at the reviews.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
For the Mossberg 590, do you guys thinks it worth the upgrade to 590A1? I think big5 has 590 on sale for $430. My local gunshop has the 590A1 for $575

I also checked out my local gunshop online store & they have the Ruger 556 for $650 for the all black. the dark earth black finish is $695. Does that sound about right?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
For the Mossberg 590, do you guys thinks it worth the upgrade to 590A1? I think big5 has 590 on sale for $430. My local gunshop has the 590A1 for $575

I also checked out my local gunshop online store & they have the Ruger 556 for $650 for the all black. the dark earth black finish is $695. Does that sound about right?

I don't know man...I guess I have a basic view of shotguns. I've had, or shot many different smooth bore pump shotguns. The difference? Meh. Point and shoot. Does the pump action work well? If so, then they're pretty much all the same. I have a "fancy" pump shotgun now (a now hard to find FN TPS) and honestly...it's nothing all that different than the bone stock Rem 870 I had before it. I'd get the cheaper one and save the rest of the scratch for ammo or a different gun.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
You know buying a gun in MT is easy if you have a conceal carry its fill out paperwork walk with gun. That quick. If you dont its a 20 minute wait while the call the feds on a background check.

uiengineer

I don't know man...I guess I have a basic view of shotguns. I've had, or shot many different smooth bore pump shotguns. The difference? Meh. Point and shoot. Does the pump action work well? If so, then they're pretty much all the same. I have a "fancy" pump shotgun now (a now hard to find FN TPS) and honestly...it's nothing all that different than the bone stock Rem 870 I had before it. I'd get the cheaper one and save the rest of the scratch for ammo or a different gun.

I'd agree. Go with the 590 (i.e., cheaper option) at this point. The differences are minimal and likely not noticeable for what you'll be using it for.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I'd agree. Go with the 590 (i.e., cheaper option) at this point. The differences are minimal and likely not noticeable for what you'll be using it for.

Plus shotguns won't go through someone into the house next door.

Pricing on the Ruger is spot on.

Looking at a Benelli M4 :(

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I eyeballed the benelli m4 at one time. Semiauto goodness in a scattergun... Mmmmmm