Finally, the coffin is completely shut on G4TV

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
For me personally, the end was was when they got rid of CinemaTech and Icons. I would tune in for their E3 coverage at the beginning till that Olivia Munn showed up and never tuned in again. Besides nothing but Cops re-runs and Cheaters garbage, it looks like I didn't miss much. A shame though for everyone that will be laid off/lose their jobs. Here is the official news:

http://kotaku.com/5955278/crisis-at-g4-studios-gaming-shows-will-be-cancelled-source-says

G4 Canceling X-Play, Attack of the Show. Gaming Programming Nixed [Update]
Evan Narcisse

G4—the network once known as the go-to destination for video game-friendly programming—is ending its gaming programming. The network is informing its employees in meetings today.

We've heard that G4's major video-game and geek-culture shows, including X-Play and Attack of the Show will be cancelled today by the network. A source close to the situation says that it's not clear if the shows will last through the year or be cancelled immediately. The rumor is that the network will shift to something more like an "Esquire" or "GQ" channel. This aligns with reports that NBC Universal was looking to rebrand the channel as alifestyle network focused on "the modern male."

Tweets from G4 staffers and industry insiders earlier today have hinted that a major shake-up is coming:

Candace Bailey
✔@CandaceBailey5 I'm so fortunate to work with the people I work with everyday. #g4tv #aots
26 Oct 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

Candace Bailey
✔@CandaceBailey5 Today is gonna be an interesting day...

Jeremy's Lair
@JeremysLair To my passionate, hard working and creative friends @g4tv. This is only the beginning of something fresh and new for all of you. Good luck!
26 Oct 12 ReplyRetweetFavoriteLaunched in 2002, G4 started off with a programming slate that consisted almost entirely of game-centric programming. After acquiring TechTV, the network found success with X-Play, a recurring show that featured reviews and comedy based on new game releases. Longtime co-host Adam Sessler left X-Play earlier this year, a move that signaled the end of an era for many. We'll update this story as we learn more.

We're hearing that the network has booked conference rooms for today in order to inform groups of employees of their fate and of the future of the network.

Update:
A TV Guide report confirms that Attack of the Show and X-Play will be ending production at the end of this year. Both shows will be airing new episodes until December, with farewell shows and celebrity guest stars showing up as the programs wind down.

Adam Sessler
✔@AdamSessler My thoughts are with my friends at G4. Best wishes and all the confidence your talents will carry you.

Kevin Pereira
✔@kpereira I'll just get this out of the way: I have no comment, for now. #BestWishes
26 Oct 12 ReplyRetweetFavoriteUpdate 2:
G4 has issued its own statement on today's news.

G4's two longest-running and defining series, Attack of the Show! and X-Play, will be ending their run at the end of 2012. Both shows will include original episodes through the end of the year, and will look back at theirmost memorable moments as we lead up to their final episodes. A rotating lineup of guest co-hosts including John Barrowman, Michael Ian Black, Josh Myers, Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel and Horatio Sanz will join AOTS hosts Candace Bailey and Sara Underwood, and X-Play hosts Morgan Webb and Blair Herter as part of the farewell shows.

With well over a thousand episodes each, Attack of the Show! and X-Play have defined gamer culture for a generation, serving as the launch pad for prominent personalities including Kevin Pereira, Olivia Munn, Chris Hardwick and Adam Sessler. Attack of the Show! debuted March 28, 2005 and from the start was the ultimate guide to everything cool and new in the world of technology, web culture, gaming and pop culture. X-Play made its debut almost two years earlier, on April 28, 2003 (on G4's previous incarnation: TechTV), and immediately became the go-to destination for young men seeking the latest video game news, honest reviews, hands-on demos and exclusive video game trailers and footage. The year-end celebration will take you back through highlights of these landmark shows' history, including its exclusive live-from-the-floor coverage of San Diego Comic-Con and E3.

Both long-running shows helped define, as well as expand, the pop culture and gaming TV experience for a generation. We hope you've had as much fun watching them as we have had making them, and sincerely hope you join us in bidding a fond farewell to Attack of the Show and X-Play's as we look back over the next two months and head towards each series' finale.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I'm not much of a tv person, but the times when I had caught a glimpse of the channel I never actually saw anything about actual video games. It was always some show like the above mentioned cops/cheaters or some sort of "eyes on me" skit by that Olivia lady. I'd always think "isn't this supposed to be about video games?"

Oh well. good riddance.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
The writing has been on the wall for a while now, man. I'm not surprised.

now, the question is, will Sara Jean's underwear.. er.. Underwood still be on the network?

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
A friend of mine got that channel years back. I would watch it late night when over at his place. There was one show that I don't know what it was called I liked to watch. The show pretty much was just showing scenes and game play from different video games. Also I sometimes watched ninja warrior.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I always hated AotS and X-Play. I tried to enjoy them, but never saw the appeal. G4 was a failure in my eyes. An attempt to appeal to the gamer's that lost sight of its mission.

I think the future is a channel with similar less douchy versions of X-Play and AotS along with streams of gaming events. Getting events like EVO, Seasons Beatings, and MLG events on TV would be a big and daring move. Throw in dubbed/subbed Game Center CX episodes, maybe even an American iteration (I love Game Center CX, but not all of it really translates well to an American viewer in terms of relevance).

Hell, team up with Game Trailers, they have a lot of programming as is to work with (Pop-fiction, PAch-Atack, etc) which could provide good programming.

There is endless material for a quality video gaming channel, but no one has done it right, needs a mix of talking old games, current events, tournaments, and some other stuff thrown in.

Someone hand me my check and a studio....

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I never cared.
Even when I had cable.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I was wondering why they even bothered having a booth at the New York Comic Con this year. Sucks to see people out of a job, but since Tech TV merged with G4 it turned into shit really fast. I remember first hearing about G4 and wanting to see it. I finally did see it one night when I was staying at friend's house in Baltimore and asked him, "That's it?" when I saw the one show that just played cut scenes from games and he said, "Yeah, that and reruns of Starcade." The only show they had that was any good was ICONS and they even managed to fuck that one up when they did shows about the Suicide Girls and Mark Echo because he had that shitty PS2 game come out.

Eddie's got the right idea, it's sucks when people have video game show content on sites like YouTube that people do for free and is worth watching. Meanwhile G4 thinks an edgy show like "Underground" would be a hit. An Americanized version of Game Center CX would have been awesome. It'd be funny if they got an American comic around the same age as Arino who hasn't played games in a while to play them again as well as go to trade shows and arcades, but it's just cheaper to run reruns of Cheaters, Cops and Campus PD then make an original show.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
the channel was shit when they stopped showing starcade.

Rot in Hell, G4.

Marek

Banned
Oh well. good riddance.

Yeah.

When "The Screen Savers" was cancelled my appreciation for ZD/Tech/G4 went through the floor and never re-emerged from the basement.

Horrible channel, horrible shows, horrible.

I do have a soft spot for Sessler though. If I saw him whilst changing channels I would always stop and watch.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
I watched it a couple times and just wasn’t very interested.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I'll never forgive them for making Olivia Munn think she's talented

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
i enjoyed some of their stuff, but that was about 8 years ago ...

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Yeah.

When "The Screen Savers" was cancelled my appreciation for ZD/Tech/G4 went through the floor and never re-emerged from the basement.

Horrible channel, horrible shows, horrible.

I do have a soft spot for Sessler though. If I saw him whilst changing channels I would always stop and watch.

I did lose interest too when The Screen Savers show ended. AOTS was supposedly the replacement show, but it wasn't good enough, IMO.

I don't care for Adam Sessler. Never, ever, EVER liked him.

Are they just gonna rely on Ninja Warrior and old Kung-fu flicks? What a waste.

Last edited:

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
I liked G4 several years back. I think the show was called cinematech where they would show cut scenes, endings and in game play from various games going back to the atari 2600. That and aots was mildly entertaining. That show they had on for a little bit code monkeys was also funny...at least the first season was.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ninja Warrior was some of the finest TV I watched in the late 2000s. Cinematech: Nocturnal Emissions was the thing to watch while dozing off after midnight (mind you, this was before youtube got popular).

I enjoyed Extended Play about ten year ago. Never liked X Play.

G4 had a lot of potential, imo, that ultimately went wasted.

Last edited:

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I finally realized how I came to thrive on this stupid shit.

600full-megan-morrone.jpg

The Screen Savers

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Almost 10 year bump, return from the dead with a Neo Geo MVS in the background no less.

Last edited: