Finally getting into the Neo Geo AES world, need help

Gladson

n00b
Hello! I tried to search another thread about this same subject and couldn't find it, sorry if that has been discussed before.

After...decades I'm finally going to fulfill any 90's gamer dream and join the AES club. Since it's a one-time opportunity I wanna do it right so I read a lof of threads regarding board revisions, how serial numbers relate to specific boards, etc. Then, I went to the hunt.

However, I noticed that sometimes the AES box (always talking about the japanese versions) is a bit different. Not talking about the AES that comes with the smaller controller, that's obviously different, but even among the bigger controller version I noticed some variations.

The AES box usually has a small sticker with a serial number that is supposed to match the one under the console. However, I noticed some boxes without such sticker. Not even that, they don't have the SNK logo in some spots the other boxes do and the back is also slightly different.

aes_box.png

Is that an official box? I'm afraid it could be some kind of reproduction. It's weird having a box without a serial number (I don't care about matching numbers but still).

If that is in fact an official variant, does it mean the console has any specific version/revision? Is it "better" or "worse" than the models that come with the other kind of box?

Sorry if any (or all) questions are stupid but I really wanna do it right when I finally get my own AES.

Gladson

n00b
Do you want to play it or look at the cardboard box on your shelf?
Both, I wanna play it but still have an original cardboard box to look at when I'm not playing. If I didn't care about having the original stuff I would just get a raspberry pi and fill it with the Neo Geo romset.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Just look for a complete one on eBay and it'll likely come with the original box.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I've never heard of reproduction boxes, for whatever that's worth. I can check my boxes here in a minute.

Gladson

n00b
I've never heard of reproduction boxes, for whatever that's worth. I can check my boxes here in a minute.
I've looked a lot of ebay, Yahoo listings etc and I could only find two sellers with boxes that seem to be like this second one so I wonder if that's the kind of boxes used for the latest AES revisions or for some specific Asian regions (even though the back seems to show Japanese text)

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It sounds like you're asking if the box ever changed, at all, over the home systems entire (7 year?!) production run.

Of course it did.

Gladson

n00b
Just look for a complete one on eBay and it'll likely come with the original box.
I did but the one best looking one I managed to find had this slightly different box (for an affordable price tag at least) so I was wondering if it's the real deal or not. Since this is going to be my first (and most likely last) AES and I want it to look as good as possible, but original.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
one of them is obviously a later release with a slightly redesigend box, just check what games are displayed on the back
stop being retarded

oh and you picked the worst possible time to get into the home console, lol.

Gladson

n00b
one of them is obviously a later release with a slightly redesigend box, just check what games are displayed on the back
stop being retarded

Sure, who's retarded, someone asking a question or somebody who wastes his time in an internet forum insulting others? How old are you, 12?

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Well it sounds like you’re in it for all the right reasons. Get spending!

Gladson

n00b
It sounds like you're asking if the box ever changed, at all, over the home systems entire (7 year?!) production run.

Of course it did.
Boxes are likely to change but in the long run there are more than one variation or, at least, they change in in the middle of the console lifespan so each variation is "common". I've looked at more than 50 neo geo listings and 48 were exactly like the "first" model and only two were different so if they did change it, they probably did it in the very end so there aren't a lot of those around.

Box reproductions are a plague around here but I don't think it's a thing in Japan so it's likely to be official, I was only hoping I could find more information about the console model that came with that box, if it's a good revision, etc.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
stop being retarded

Indeed it is the absolute worst time to get into it…until next year.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Sure, who's retarded, someone asking a question or somebody who wastes his times in an internet forum offending others? How old are you, 12?
nah i'm pretty sure you're retarded. literally every video game company changed the designs of their boxes over time. you're probably in the wrong hobby if you don't know this.
the left one is probably the older one going by the KEWL early nineties neon triangle. its also slightly larger.
nobody would repro the stupid box if there's more money to be made by faking the games themselves.
THINK MCFLY, THINK

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Both, I wanna play it but still have an original cardboard box to look at when I'm not playing. If I didn't care about having the original stuff I would just get a raspberry pi and fill it with the Neo Geo romset.
i am picturing you at the breakfast table with a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch and the neo geo box placed lovingly (with the serial number side facing you) at the opposite end of the table, enjoying your morning.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
There are technically five different box revisions for the Japanese Neo Geo AES since it was launched in 1990/1.

Not sure about the first box they produced (which was pretty much a plain white box), but usually the boxes have a small sticker on the top of the box with the serial number printed on it. Depending on how the box has been looked after this may either have faded, been deliberately removed or just peeled off due to age.

Unless you're a collector or shelf queen, these issues are superficial.

Unless you've come here to contribute to the community, or talk about the games, you're going to get yourself pilloried making your first posts about collectard shit.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
There are technically five different box revisions for the Japanese Neo Geo AES since it was launched in 1990/1.

Not sure about the first box they produced (which was pretty much a plain white box), but usually the boxes have a small sticker on the top of the box with the serial number printed on it. Depending on how the box has been looked after this may either have faded, been deliberately removed or just peeled off due to age.

Unless you're a collector or shelf queen, these issues are superficial.

Unless you've come here to contribute to the community, or talk about the games, you're going to get yourself pilloried making your first posts about collectard shit.
Pretty much this. The last thing we need is another collectard.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If this dingus is already this worried over the console box I can't even imagine how much trouble he's going to have when he actually starts buying games.

Though I'm sure like most new collectors these days he'll just get half a dozen of the most common games in shit condition and then quickly move on to something else, probably something really awesome like the Jaguar or 3DO.

Living the dream.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
If this dingus is already this worried over the console box I can't even imagine how much trouble he's going to have when he actually starts buying games.

Though I'm sure like most new collectors these days he'll just get half a dozen of the most common games in shit condition and then quickly move on to something else, probably something really awesome like the Jaguar or 3DO.

Living the dream.
Takes a pic of the 4 AES carts he got.. "My humble Neo Geo collection.."

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
SamSho, Fatal Fury, Ghost Pilots, Magician Lord

so humble yes

now tell me how cool my collection is and suck my cock

Last edited:

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
I was only hoping I could find more information about the console model that came with that box, if it's a good revision, etc.

No way you can tie a box to the console revision. You can have expectations - but absolutely no certainty. Same goes for the board revisions / power supply / serial number connexion, don't trust the correspondence charts you may have seen. It's a box full of chocolates, and not necessarily as important as you might imagine.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Takes a pic of the 4 AES carts he got.. "My humble Neo Geo collection.."
You know his dick is already half erect at the thought of all the reactions he's going to get from all his "friends" online.

(Picture of tatty Super Spy, Ghost Pilots, Riding Hero and World Heroes)

"OMG dude, so jealous right now!"
"I'd kill for that!!!"
"My dream console"
"It's so beautiful, I am crying"

It will all be worth it.