Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn beta sign ups, Opening CG

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
You would think after all these years someone would build an expansion pack or maybe in the core game a "retired" player camp. Maybe have you set up shop and have a different skill tree among other things. Just a thought.

This game is frequently updated. The problem is, like any MMO it can't cater to everyone. Mostly ppl that put a lot of time into MMOs hit walls fast with newer MMOs Vs established. This game is a year old this month. It is why many "hardcore" players take breaks and let the content play catch up or in general many take breaks from repetitiveness. It's also why many Devs put in gated, grinds, Random Number Generators, or other barriers like cooldowns into content. Otherwise extremely dedicated players just burn through it inside a week or a few days.

A new Class ans Job will be coming out soon and an expansion to follow as well. Many will come back as there is more to do and fresh content. I just haven't had time to put into the game and that is the main reason I don't log in.

Didn't even realize Taiso was on my server even. Unless he transferred at one point.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Wait, what?

I didn't quit. I'm still alive and kicking on the Excalibur server. In fact, I think I've been posting in the Gaming Update threads weekly that I'm still playing, so um yeah...not sure what's up with that:D

Main name: Taiso Vandeross
Alt name: Kcocshmat Mclargehuge

Oh ok awesome. I was going by your last post in this thread. See you on Excalibur!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
This game is frequently updated. The problem is, like any MMO it can't cater to everyone. Mostly ppl that put a lot of time into MMOs hit walls fast with newer MMOs Vs established. This game is a year old this month. It is why many "hardcore" players take breaks and let the content play catch up or in general many take breaks from repetitiveness. It's also why many Devs put in gated, grinds, Random Number Generators, or other barriers like cooldowns into content. Otherwise extremely dedicated players just burn through it inside a week or a few days.

A new Class ans Job will be coming out soon and an expansion to follow as well. Many will come back as there is more to do and fresh content. I just haven't had time to put into the game and that is the main reason I don't log in.

Didn't even realize Taiso was on my server even. Unless he transferred at one point.

Great post that perfectly sums up the MMO conundrum.

I've been on Excalibur since day one launch of version 1.0, which was horrible. I suffered for three or four months before walking away. Came back to 1.0 when they added the advanced jobs. After they added the advanced jobs, the game really was much better. They fixed a lot about it, but the damage was mostly already done.

So yeah, I've been there since the start.

What is/are your character/s name/s, Replica?

And Cannonball, will be good to see you on. I should be on for a little bit tonight. Or maybe longer. I have my dailies to do.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

I've been on Excalibur since day one launch of version 1.0, which was horrible. I suffered for three or four months before walking away. Came back to 1.0 when they added the advanced jobs. After they added the advanced jobs, the game really was much better. They fixed a lot about it, but the damage was mostly already done.

And Cannonball, will be good to see you on. I should be on for a little bit tonight. Or maybe longer. I have my dailies to do.

v1.0 I had 2 characters:

ReplicaX Leviathan - Used the XI promo and started on Selbina.

Methos Ranperre - After 2 months into 1.0 I moved ReplicaX Leviathan to Fabul and transferred all items/gil onto my new Character Methos and killed off ReplicaX. The server merge made it into Balmung and I played upto 1 month before character saving shutdown.

ARR Beta when the free server transfers were available I moved Methos to Excalibur.

cannonball

15 Year Member

When i played the original FFXIV all i did was fish and cook. I didn't like the fighting classes. I'm assuming a lot of that has changed now. I may try to do some combat stuff this time around when I'm not angling.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
When i played the original FFXIV all i did was fish and cook. I didn't like the fighting classes. I'm assuming a lot of that has changed now. I may try to do some combat stuff this time around when I'm not angling.

I think the combat is a lot more engaging this time around, personally. Recommend you make sure you do all your starter quests ASAP, up to being able to stay at an inn. Remember, also, to log out in Sanctuaries for the rested XP buff.

cannonball

15 Year Member
I think the combat is a lot more engaging this time around, personally. Recommend you make sure you do all your starter quests ASAP, up to being able to stay at an inn. Remember, also, to log out in Sanctuaries for the rested XP buff.

This is going to be a long night :D I'll msg you in game when I get set up.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Excalibur is closed to new people. Is there an invite system or am I SOL?

I don't know if there's an invite system. I know they periodically open the doors to new character creation on the server, so if you check S-E's site periodically, you'll see when they open it up.

I can look into the invite thingie. I believe there is a 'refer a friend' program, and it nets me a cool t seater chocobo in the process. Lemme look into it and don't jump the gun just yet!

EDIT:

here's the recruitment info.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

So...wanna commit for 90 days so we can get the exclusive mount?

Last edited:

cannonball

15 Year Member
I don't know if there's an invite system. I know they periodically open the doors to new character creation on the server, so if you check S-E's site periodically, you'll see when they open it up.

I can look into the invite thingie. I believe there is a 'refer a friend' program, and it nets me a cool t seater chocobo in the process. Lemme look into it and don't jump the gun just yet!

EDIT:

here's the recruitment info.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

So...wanna commit for 90 days so we can get the exclusive mount?

Will it let you recruit someone to your server who is already a subscriber? If so, count me in.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Will it let you recruit someone to your server who is already a subscriber? If so, count me in.

Let me go through the process and find out. Will let you know tonight when I get home. My FF XIV account has the key gen thingie and I don't carry that with me so I'll have to wait until tonight to try it. PM me an e-mail address and your S-E account name in case they ask for that stuff.

cannonball

15 Year Member
I'm having fun with this, although surprisingly, I find myself missing a lot of the old mechanics of the original game. The combat is better for sure, but everything is so easy now. It reminds me of guild wars 2 the way the quests, FATES, and item acquisition are set up, which is not a good thing IMO. The part of me with limited time to play games loves how easy the leveling process is, but the part of me that played FFXI for all those years absolutely hates that there is no sense of achievement.

Maybe the difficulty ramps up at end game for raid content, but the journey is what I enjoyed so much in FFXI (and even FFXIV legacy).

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Your reservations about the game are held by a lot of players that fondly remember the difficulty of XI (early builds-the game is supposedly a joke now) and of XIV v1-1.23.

For the difficult stuff, you will want to get involved in Coil, EX Primals and Ultima Hard Mode. Also, if you want something really grindy you'll want to buff your weapons by doing the Atma/Anima/Novus stuff. That's all post 50 content.

For now, just play through the story, don't worry about stuffquesting too much and get all the pieces in place for your endgame activities. Trust me. It won't take that long and you might dig that activity more.

Did you get on my server? What is your character's name?

cannonball

15 Year Member
Your reservations about the game are held by a lot of players that fondly remember the difficulty of XI (early builds-the game is supposedly a joke now) and of XIV v1-1.23.

For the difficult stuff, you will want to get involved in Coil, EX Primals and Ultima Hard Mode. Also, if you want something really grindy you'll want to buff your weapons by doing the Atma/Anima/Novus stuff. That's all post 50 content.

For now, just play through the story, don't worry about stuffquesting too much and get all the pieces in place for your endgame activities. Trust me. It won't take that long and you might dig that activity more.

Did you get on my server? What is your character's name?

Thanks for the info Taiso. I'm on Leviathan at the moment. I've been checking your server status every day and no openings yet. If I level much further I may just do a world transfer once it's available. I think world transfer is under the same restriction as creating a character from what I read on their site. I'll get there one way or the other. I'll keep you updated. I'm going the pugilist/monk route I think.

edit: that's a shame about FFXI being watered down now. I looked up my last sales on ffxiah.com today to see when I finally quit. 2009 :( http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Leviathan/Dilemma

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Nekro bump.

A part of me misses the grind, so I bought 60 days of game time.

Looking at the release list for games this year there isn't much jumping out at me; I wouldn't be surprised if I bought additional time.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
At the risk of necro bumping, the involvement of Yasumi Matsuno in the Stormblood expansion got me to return to this for the first time since the beta. I haven't even created my character yet, but I've never missed anything he has touched, and I'm not going to start now. I figure I have six months or so to get to the right level to be ready when the expansion hits.