Final Fantasy IV remake for DS

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Ordered it with free shipping from Circuit City.com with a free $10 gift card and it shipped today. It says I'll get it in 2 (?!) :eek_2: weeks.

Not that I mind too much, I'm working on re-playing Star Ocean 2 on the PSOne.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I'm going to have to agree with all the past comments on the difficulty. Yeah, it looks like they upped it somewhat. Things are considerably harder than I remember in other versions.

The most recent version I played before this was FFIV Advance, and it's definitely harder than that.

That's all for the better. A bit more of a challenge will add to the replay.

Is there a hard mode when you complete the game? If so it's probably a killer.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
how does the hardness of it stack up to FFIII on DS? Is it a diamond, or a marshmellow?

dark penguin

how does the hardness of it stack up to FFIII on DS? Is it a diamond, or a marshmellow?

I never picked up pt III for DS, but I can tell you that pt IV is pretty challenging in some respects. I think if we're comparing it to IV Advance, and even the original, we can say it's overall slightly tougher. Not frustrating, though...just a bit more challeging for those of us that have finished the game multiple times on multiple platforms.

Was pt III DS tough?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I never picked up pt III for DS, but I can tell you that pt IV is pretty challenging in some respects. I think if we're comparing it to IV Advance, and even the original, we can say it's overall slightly tougher. Not frustrating, though...just a bit more challeging for those of us that have finished the game multiple times on multiple platforms.

Was pt III DS tough?

Everybody seems to think so, but I've beaten hundreds of RPGs, so it wasn't too bad for me.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Well I started in on FF IV this weekend. They did such a great job with it! I'm enjoying it so much, and it feels like I'm playing it again for the first time (I haven't played it since the SNES). Like others have said, they may be milking these on the handhelds, but they are putting in a lot of extra effort and it really makes it worth it.

dark penguin

Well I started in on FF IV this weekend. They did such a great job with it! I'm enjoying it so much, and it feels like I'm playing it again for the first time (I haven't played it since the SNES). Like others have said, they may be milking these on the handhelds, but they are putting in a lot of extra effort and it really makes it worth it.

I'm almost finished Tactics A2(I might be able to wrap it up tonight), and then I'm going to tear right into pt IV. I only played up to Mt Hobbs so far, just to get a feel for the game.

I really enjoyed what I was able to play so far.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I got it in two days from circuit city. Not too bad for free shipping!

Been playing it ever since I got it. I was going to hold off until beating SO2, but I couldn't resist. I'm lovin' it, even after beating it 22 times across 3 platforms, there's still something to see here.

dark penguin

I got it in two days from circuit city. Not too bad for free shipping!

Been playing it ever since I got it. I was going to hold off until beating SO2, but I couldn't resist. I'm lovin' it, even after beating it 22 times across 3 platforms, there's still something to see here.

I agree on all points. I really enjoyed being able to play back the cut scenes...the cut scenes are fantastic. The one where Kain and Cecil square off and Rosa gets captured is great. It is evident that this project was a labor of love and not some half-assed cash grab on Square Enix's part.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
It really is a superb "remake". I've totally stopped playing A2 until I finish this, though I've only been getting in a few hours every other day or so.

The very thought of the same company remaking Final Fantasy VI in the same manner gives me a mega-boner. :drool:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
So after neglecting this for the past couple of months, I started playing again. Making my way up through the Tower of Babel right now.

Another difference I noticed : During the fight with Golbez, it is no longer possible to keep Kain alive after Golbez paralyzes the party. It used to be possible to avoid the spell (and the dragon's attack) from affecting Kain by making him jump just before Golbez would cast it. Not having Kain at the start of the real fight made this fight much harder than before, and forced me to change my old strategy.

I also decided to check up on the fat chocobo while at the dwarf castle (after not having done so since Kaipo). Have a few more minigames unlocked now, and most of them are pretty fun. In the minigame with Cecil, it seems like bombs are awarded at random times. Wish it had been based on score instead. Oh well.

But it looks like I'll once again be putting this game on the shelf for a while, now that I just got The World Ends With You (Play-Asia had the import on sale not too long ago, so I couldn't resist).

dark penguin

I have yet to read anything truly negative about this game, despite some minor nitpicking.
I myself have nothing but positive things to say about it.

So, I guess the unanimous decision is that this game is good to go.

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
I have yet to read anything truly negative about this game, despite some minor nitpicking.
I myself have nothing but positive things to say about it.

So, I guess the unanimous decision is that this game is good to go.

Agreed. The game is solid and it's nice to see they finally decided to chug out a harder rpg. (well harder then things have been) The voice acting is actually pretty good too which I didn't have high hopes for.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Alright, I finally sat down and sank my teeth a bit into this (about five hours worth). I leveled to fifteen before going through the Mist Cave, no problems, although enemies do put up a better fight this time around. Made it to Kaipo, fought a worm on the second fight in the desert; vwoomp, dead, reload. :eek_2: Leveled Rydia to twelve then moved on to the underground waterway, I actually found the Octomammoth easier this time than in previous versions of FFIV.

Arrived at Damcyan and picked up that faggor, Edward. But now...he's not so faggor as his song's afflictions have a higher success rate now and he has an awesome heal song (I never noticed him having one before). Leveled Edward to twelve before tackling the Antlion, no problems.

Traveled to Mount Hobs, character levels: Cecil 21, Rydia, 17, Edward 16, Rosa 15. Took on Mom Bomb; explode, vwooomp, dead, reload...what the hell? Second try, vwoomp, dead, reload....grrrrr :emb:. Third try, casted protect, made everyone defend, vwoomp...only Edward dies...(faggor). Dinner, drinks, and a small battle at Fabul Castle. I skipped the cutscene in the crystal room on accident; I wanted to pause, not skip.

At just under five hours in I've arrived at Mysidia and have leveled Palom and Porom to fifteen, probably to twenty before I head out to Mount Ordeals.

Why was the difficulty turned down for FFII back in the day? This isn't too difficult so far. Still, I continued to have that "first time through" nostalgia feeling sweeping over me the entire time during these five hours of play. Although there was no need for it, this remake affirms that FFIV is my all-time favorite rpg. Now, hopefully, Matrix Software gets contracted to remake FFVI for those who have a higher opinion of that game than FFIV.

If not, still, one love for Matrix Software for doing so well with the FFIV remake.

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
So I decided to put TWEWY down for a while and continue with FFIV instead.

I just got the Lunar Whale, but I'm trying to get Odin before going any further. Odin is pretty tough with only 4 characters, so maybe I should come back and do it when I have 5 again. I've done all the other side-quests so far. As for levels, most of my characters are in the mid~high 50s, with Cecil being 62.

The Demon Wall boss seems easier now than in the original. I was able to beat it before it had a chance to really do anything. Maybe I just got lucky.

dark penguin

The Demon Wall boss seems easier now than in the original. I was able to beat it before it had a chance to really do anything. Maybe I just got lucky.

It took me like 20 phoenix downs to kill it because of its instant death attack. I just reached the Giant of Babil...the new cutscenes for that look great!

This is one hell of a remake.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Alright, I finally sat down and sank my teeth a bit into this (about five hours worth). I leveled to fifteen before going through the Mist Cave, no problems, although enemies do put up a better fight this time around. Made it to Kaipo, fought a worm on the second fight in the desert; vwoomp, dead, reload. :eek_2: Leveled Rydia to twelve then moved on to the underground waterway, I actually found the Octomammoth easier this time than in previous versions of FFIV.

Arrived at Damcyan and picked up that faggor, Edward. But now...he's not so faggor as his song's afflictions have a higher success rate now and he has an awesome heal song (I never noticed him having one before). Leveled Edward to twelve before tackling the Antlion, no problems.

Traveled to Mount Hobs, character levels: Cecil 21, Rydia, 17, Edward 16, Rosa 15. Took on Mom Bomb; explode, vwooomp, dead, reload...what the hell? Second try, vwoomp, dead, reload....grrrrr :emb:. Third try, casted protect, made everyone defend, vwoomp...only Edward dies...(faggor). Dinner, drinks, and a small battle at Fabul Castle. I skipped the cutscene in the crystal room on accident; I wanted to pause, not skip.

At just under five hours in I've arrived at Mysidia and have leveled Palom and Porom to fifteen, probably to twenty before I head out to Mount Ordeals.

Why was the difficulty turned down for FFII back in the day? This isn't too difficult so far. Still, I continued to have that "first time through" nostalgia feeling sweeping over me the entire time during these five hours of play. Although there was no need for it, this remake affirms that FFIV is my all-time favorite rpg. Now, hopefully, Matrix Software gets contracted to remake FFVI for those who have a higher opinion of that game than FFIV.

If not, still, one love for Matrix Software for doing so well with the FFIV remake.

It's not bad at the beginning, but wait until you get to the four elemental fiends and the last dungeon. Holy $#!+ is it ever tough. They have attacks that counter just about everything you do.

It gets so tough that it can become an exercise in frustration at times.

As much as I like the remake and all the voice acting, I will be playing the GBA version on my replays of this game.

dark penguin

It's not bad at the beginning, but wait until you get to the four elemental fiends and the last dungeon. Holy $#!+ is it ever tough. They have attacks that counter just about everything you do.

It gets so tough that it can become an exercise in frustration at times.

As much as I like the remake and all the voice acting, I will be playing the GBA version on my replays of this game.

I find if you use the "Libra" spell on the stronger enemies, it often gives you enough of an advantage by pointing out their weaknesses.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
It took me like 20 phoenix downs to kill it because of its instant death attack. I just reached the Giant of Babil...the new cutscenes for that look great!

This is one hell of a remake.

That further proves my theory that the difficulty of the bosses is randomized in this version.

I remember in the SNES original, I was able to delay the Demon Wall from using its attack by casting Float on my entire party. For whatever reason, it seemed to work back then. That was actually the very first thing I did when I faced it this time, though the boss didn't survive long enough for me to see if it still worked.

Also, I managed to beat Odin with only 4 characters after all. It wasn't so hard since I made the whole party defend just before Odin did his special attack this time. He went down shortly afterwards.

I'm in the Giant now too. Though I died just before I reached the first save point. It was my fault though, since I thought I could survive a fight against 2 of those blue dragons. But as luck would have it, they both decided to breathe fire on my party one after the other. By the time I realized I wasn't going to win, it was too late to escape.

Oh well, now back to TWEWY.

dark penguin

I'm going to pick up TWEWY sometime in the near future. I have a few DS games to get through first.

I just got to the boss fight in the Giant with all four Elemental Fiends. They're a cinch until you get to Rubicante because they all have very apparent weaknesses.
I forgot how I took down Rubicante earlier in the game...I guess his weakness rating changes when his cloak is either open or closed. The Shiva summon does a lot of damage when his cloak is open but heals him when its closed?

I'm still really enjoying this remake...it just gets better and better the farther you get into it.

The new character models for the Elemental Fiends look fantastic, especially Rubicante.

That further proves my theory that the difficulty of the bosses is randomized in this version.

I remember in the SNES original, I was able to delay the Demon Wall from using its attack by casting Float on my entire party. For whatever reason, it seemed to work back then. That was actually the very first thing I did when I faced it this time, though the boss didn't survive long enough for me to see if it still worked.

Also, I managed to beat Odin with only 4 characters after all. It wasn't so hard since I made the whole party defend just before Odin did his special attack this time. He went down shortly afterwards.

I'm in the Giant now too. Though I died just before I reached the first save point. It was my fault though, since I thought I could survive a fight against 2 of those blue dragons. But as luck would have it, they both decided to breathe fire on my party one after the other. By the time I realized I wasn't going to win, it was too late to escape.

Oh well, now back to TWEWY.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Finally beat it. Took me around 33 hours and everybody was around lvl 75. I've played hundreds of RPGs in my time, and this easily ranks in the top 5 hardest. The only games I'd rate harder are 7th Saga and Phantasy Star II.

Slow and Haste are your friends in this game.

dark penguin

Well, I'm nearly finished the game. I'm in the final dungeon, and I'll say this...

I find it frustratingly hard to level grind to an acceptable level near the end of the game.

I don't remember any previous versions of the game being this hard near the end.

Anyone else experience this, or is it just me? And yes, I have Level Lust enabled.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Hey, does anyone remember how to obtain all the extra summons? I've got Odin, Leviathan, Asura, Sylph, and I know where to get Bahamut, but I feel like there's one more besides that (called Black Mage, perhaps?). I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Hey, does anyone remember how to obtain all the extra summons? I've got Odin, Leviathan, Asura, Sylph, and I know where to get Bahamut, but I feel like there's one more besides that (called Black Mage, perhaps?). I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me.

I remember in the original FFIV it was possible to learn summons for every non-boss monster in the game. I believe all you needed to do was fight a certain monster type over and over again, until they'd drop a special item you'd use on Rydia to learn how to summon said monster.