Final Fantasy IV remake for DS

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
It seems pretty random to me. Sometimes they wipe you out real quick, and other times they just do stupid things and are easily defeated.
It would probably help if I knew more Japanese and could pick up on the hints being given to me, but unfortunately, I'm not very literate. (I also have to take a little extra time looking up status-curing items and such since I learned hiragana not too long ago.) I'm just going on what I remember, and it seems to me the Elemental Lords have much more health and punch than before. I've only fought Scarmiglione and Cagnazzo so far, but I used to total both of them within a few turns. This game, although I didn't lose to either of them, they were extremely protracted battles filled with status effects and not as easily defeated via their weak points.

At the moment, I'm about to enter the magnetic cave to retrieve Troia's crystal. I'm not looking forward to fighting with crappy weapons...

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Yeah I really did not like FFIII all that much on the DS or the NES Hack. I think it just was not that good of a game in general. But I loved FFIV so I am totally picking it up.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
So, just over a week until the North American release now. I'm definitely picking this up, even though FFIV Advance was a pretty solid port. Actually, I've been pretty happy with the GBA ports overall...TOSE did a pretty good job on all of them, except maybe Dawn of Souls.

I'm not as put-off by the SD character models as I thought I'd be.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Yeah I really did not like FFIII all that much on the DS or the NES Hack. I think it just was not that good of a game in general. But I loved FFIV so I am totally picking it up.

Yeah, I thought FF3 remake sucked, but FF4 was awesome. I will be picking up the US copy when it gets here, too. Great game.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Still hacking away at the import, just picked up Edge, getting ready to battle Rubicant. Man, this is such a great game, classic story, the music...it all just leaves me very nostalgic. What I wouldn't give for a crazy-looking next-gen high-res update to this same title. I'm such a whore for this game that I would pretty much pick it up on any system it appeared.

I'm looking forward to impressions from people picking up the US edition. I am really wondering how the voices will fare, any kind of censorship, etc. I may just beat this and then pick up the English version, that's how much of a freak I am for FFIV.

If they are keeping Chrono Trigger DS with the classic look, I hope somehow they can pack the full-motion vids from the PS version, thereby making it the single best version out there. *fingers crossed*

DS is quickly becoming my little RPG machine of doom, especially with DQIV-VI eventually coming. Hot damn!

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
This game is going to get more attention that it deserves because there's a dearth of games coming out this summer. I'd by lying if I said I wasn't intrigued, but having bought it 3 times for 3 different systems, and beating it 22 times, I think I can wait. I'm busy re-playing Star Ocean 2 right now (which is also getting a remake next year on PSP). Maybe I'll pick it up in a few weeks after I beat SO2.

I wish they would have put out DQ4 in the summer and left this for Fall. :confused:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
This game is going to get more attention that it deserves because there's a dearth of games coming out this summer. I'd by lying if I said I wasn't intrigued, but having bought it 3 times for 3 different systems, and beating it 22 times, I think I can wait. I'm busy re-playing Star Ocean 2 right now (which is also getting a remake next year on PSP). Maybe I'll pick it up in a few weeks after I beat SO2.

I wish they would have put out DQ4 in the summer and left this for Fall. :confused:

Mmm, Star Ocean 2, sooooo fucking good.

Once you get a certain item, a medal of some kind that gives the character you use it on...one level up, wait until you level the photography-ish skill (forgot who got it and when), but you can make copies of that medal. Level your character madly and just casually finish the game. All my characters were level 130+ or something crazy like that.

Anyway, one more week to handheld bliss. :drool:

Gamespot and IGN have had their reviews up for some time now.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Heads up - Circuit City is giving away a $10 gift card with purchase of this game this week.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
it all just leaves me very nostalgic. What I wouldn't give for a crazy-looking next-gen high-res update to this same title. I'm such a whore for this game that I would pretty much pick it up on any system it appeared.

That pretty much describes me perfectly in regards to FF6. I think I'd completely wig out if they announced something like that. Whatever pair of pants I happen to be wearing, or even the chair I'm sitting in, would be completely demolished upon hearing the news.

Some Play Arts figures from FF4 & FF6 would be awesome too.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Roll call

The game is out tomorrow!

I'll be picking it up first thing in the morning.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
This game is amazing.

I never thought I'd be happy to see a 3D remake of one of my favorite 2D games but I am.

The voice work is the best part.

I'd have liked to see an option for original Japanese voices, but honestly, the fact that it's not there or is an option doesn't even come close to registering as a complaint just by how great it is to get to hear these characters communicate vocally.

All the new little gameplay touches are very cool too.

Nothing major, but nice additions.

Magician

20 Year Member
Got my copy yesterday, but I didn't get to it since my brother dropped by to visit.

I will start it up on lunch break at work today, can't wait. :D

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
The metacritic scores are very positive so far, which I am glad to hear.

My copy shipped today though, so I probably won't have it till Friday or Saturday. I guess that gives me more time to get caught up in FFT A2 though.

dark penguin

The metacritic scores are very positive so far, which I am glad to hear.

My copy shipped today though, so I probably won't have it till Friday or Saturday. I guess that gives me more time to get caught up in FFT A2 though.

I'm still chipping away at A2 as well and enjoying it a lot. I'll be picking up FFIV pretty shortly...my town seems to be a little slow getting new games on the shelves anyway.

So, that makes two solid remakes of FFIV on portables, unless I am forgetting something.

Magician

20 Year Member
I've played just a little so far. First impressions:

-That CG intro, omg, I haven't seen one that well done in awhile.
-I dig the voice acting with the in-game cutscenes, very cool.
-No load time to the sub-menu, bonus.
-The remixed music is very well done; Baron Town's music reminds me of the celtic version of the OST.
-OOOOooooh, Kain's jump attack now has a splash animation instead of Kain going right through the enemy, ZOMG. *lols*
-I can run in the overworld? Sweet.

Fellow FFIV lovahs, how cool is this?!

Could you imagine a remake of FFVI if it were given this kind of love?

SquareEnix, for giving me this, I forgive the abortions that were FFVIII-FFX.

dark penguin

Could you imagine a remake of FFVI if it were given this kind of love?

I'd actually be surprised if we don't see that some time within the next few years. FFVI Advance sold pretty well from what I gather.

I need to pick this game up this weekend.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I just picked this up today on my lunch break along with Tactics A2. I'm going to be in Final Fantasy overload this weekend between these two and my normal FF XI addiction.

dark penguin

I just picked this up today on my lunch break along with Tactics A2. I'm going to be in Final Fantasy overload this weekend between these two and my normal FF XI addiction.

Haha, yea. I just picked up pt IV today too. I'm 50 hrs into Tactics A2, but I think I'll take a break with IV for bit.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Just got my pre-order FFIV two days ago, and I'm really enjoying it. I like the English voice-acting just marginally less than the Japanese voices, but it's excellently done all the same. Boy is it nice to be able to understand all the dialogue now. :D Am I the only one who completely adores the little gauge that tells you how long it takes between issuing a battle command and executing the move?

Seeing how awesome and well-done this game is, I'm really looking forward to Chrono Trigger DS and a (very) possible future FFVI DS.

dark penguin

Just got my pre-order FFIV two days ago, and I'm really enjoying it. I like the English voice-acting just marginally less than the Japanese voices, but it's excellently done all the same. Boy is it nice to be able to understand all the dialogue now. :D Am I the only one who completely adores the little gauge that tells you how long it takes between issuing a battle command and executing the move?

Seeing how awesome and well-done this game is, I'm really looking forward to Chrono Trigger DS and a (very) possible future FFVI DS.

It's very good over all. Graphically, it looks a lot better in reality than it did in some of the screen shots. The overworld map looks fantastic, for one. Some of the dialog sounds pretty corny when spoken vs reading it in the other versions of FFIV, but that's a pretty small complaint.

Square Enix may be milking the hell out of portable FF games, but at least they're making a pretty consistent and solid effort.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I've got the JPN version, and think it's awesome. I WILL be buying this US version, too. For those that have played it, is "spoony bard" still in it? Also, is his name Edward or Gilbert in this game?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I've got the JPN version, and think it's awesome. I WILL be buying this US version, too. For those that have played it, is "spoony bard" still in it? Also, is his name Edward or Gilbert in this game?

It's Edward and yes, "spoony bard" is still there.

No way SE would take it out.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
It's very good over all. Graphically, it looks a lot better in reality than it did in some of the screen shots. The overworld map looks fantastic, for one. Some of the dialog sounds pretty corny when spoken vs reading it in the other versions of FFIV, but that's a pretty small complaint.

Square Enix may be milking the hell out of portable FF games, but at least they're making a pretty consistent and solid effort.
Exactly, they may keep rereleasing these, but they continue to be as good, or in this case better, than what has been reviously been released.

Now, if they would only redo FF IX for PSP...