Every anime opening ever made

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
The last good years for anime were 2004/2005... Samurai Champloo, Samurai 7, Speed Grapher.

Then it was all downhill.

This is true, there is not much left that doesn't blow monkey balls nowadays. I can think of maybe two that haven't sucked post 2005.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
saying 'anime sucks' is such a blanket statement.
to me, that's like saying 'tv sucks', 'music sucks', 'movies suck', etc.
of course the majority of things suck, yeah, but there are a few good ones in there.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
to me, that's like saying 'tv sucks', 'music sucks', 'movies suck', etc.
of course the majority of things suck, yeah, but there are a few good ones in there.

I don't think anyone is saying that music, tv, movies and anime sucks... I think we are saying that all of the above have sucked for the last 5-10 years.

I'm probably getting old.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

How far to paradise !?

Yeah i'm stuck in the 80's with these choices but man today anime lacks that gritty quality.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,

The cliches of anime suck on a far greater level than that of most other media. And there's not a show out there that isn't guilty of at least a few of them.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I used to be one of those people who rented a lot of stuff and would haunt the anime aisle at Suncoast, back when those tapes were really exorbitantly expensive. This is, of course, almost 20 years ago. I grew up on the likes of Macross, Area 88, Dominion Tank Police, Akira, Wings of Honneamise, etc. Every once in a while, I'll come across a series that looks interesting, something along the likes of Cowboy Bebop comes to mind, but beyond this...the stories and character designs just don't do a thing for me these days.
Too frilly, too many episodes, too many characters, etc.

It neatly dovetailed with my interests in import gaming back in the day.

This is right on, and with the slight varient to my story being that 1) Ghibli (Warriors of the Wind) would be added to the list, and that 2) dovetailed into not only gaming but comics for me.

i'll never forget S.D. comic con '89...the US premier of AKIRA, scooping all sorts of swag @ the Viz booth, and having the Lupan III cosplayer dude who ran the anime room sign my program. (it reads, "LIII" lol)

From about '88-2k1, i was lock stock and barrel all about anime.

with the exception of things that pop up here and there like FLCL (which one could argue was appealing just as much for the Pillows soundtrack as anything else), the current crop of anime and the aesthetic it employs doesn't float my boat.

i really prefer the hand painted cel style in anime, much like i prefer sprite game art and 4color comics as opposed to baxter printed comics.

tastes and taste makers have changed, leaving me behind like so much Aslanian desert sand.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
It's not because we're getting old. Anime nowadays just sucks plain and simple.

i really prefer the hand painted cel style in anime, much like i prefer sprite game art and 4color comics as opposed to baxter printed comics.

tastes and taste makers have changed, leaving me behind like so much Aslanian desert sand.

THIS

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Oh and I used to adore the music in anime from the synth heavy tracks of the 80's and Early 90s to the 80's style power ballads that were common in the 80's. Then they decided to go OVERLY Cute-Girl J-Pop with everything and I just couldn't take it anymore.

I miss that oldschool synth keyboard music. It reminded me of the 16bit era of gaming:

Remember when they used to sing their asses off?:

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
This is right on, and with the slight varient to my story being that 1) Ghibli (Warriors of the Wind) would be added to the list, and that 2) dovetailed into not only gaming but comics for me.

i'll never forget S.D. comic con '89...the US premier of AKIRA, scooping all sorts of swag @ the Viz booth, and having the Lupan III cosplayer dude who ran the anime room sign my program. (it reads, "LIII" lol)

From about '88-2k1, i was lock stock and barrel all about anime.

with the exception of things that pop up here and there like FLCL (which one could argue was appealing just as much for the Pillows soundtrack as anything else), the current crop of anime and the aesthetic it employs doesn't float my boat.

The truth.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Yet another movie where Ruffio dies.

I swear, it must be in that actor's contract that he has to have a death scene in every movie. Does Hollywood hate him that much?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
It's more than just anime, those cliches are simply entrenched in their culture.
Especially those fucking birds or the helplessly falling feathers where the birds once flew.

Man, how many games have we played that use the "little fag, big sword" gimmick?

Why does Fangoram from Gungrave, look so much like Mihawk from One Piece?
Both have colorless eyes, wide brim hat, long black coat, and an oversized crucifix for a weapon....its always a crucifix with the japanese....no religious connotations for them though, its just seen for what it really is: A western symbol, an implement of slow, painful death for not only the scrappy jappy protagonist but on a subconscious level, it might even represent a threat to japanese culture as well.

While I'm at it:

Why does Ryo look like Ryu?

Why does Zell Condorbrave look like Rolento?

Yuffie like Sakura?

Sephiroth like every anime fag in existence?

Why does Takuma, Akuma, Silber, Heihachi, etc all look like each other?

The Japanese have never been innovators, that's why.
But they are masters of taking things from outside of their country and pushing it to the next level....gotta hand that much to them.

America invented the car, they invented video games, television, computing, but we left it to the japanese to perfect and hone these things over the years.

So in other words, fuck anime.
icon14.gif

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
This is the only way to watch Anime, period:

I've got to admit, seeing some kind of neo-Nazi with a grotesquely broken jaw and eyes rolling into the back of his head definitely got me excited about whatever the video clip was going to be.

I reacted to the visual before seeing FotNS.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Those Neo Nazis must be illiterate because that desert eagle has "made in Israel" stamped on the slide. lolz.

aria

Former Moderator
Those Neo Nazis must be illiterate because that desert eagle has "made in Israel" stamped on the slide. lolz.

I never thought I'd need to say this, but I believe you're reading too deep into the Fist of the North Star.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I never thought I'd need to say this, but I believe you're reading too deep into the Fist of the North Star.

I thought it was subtle irony.

Like an old episode of King of the Hill where this ultra lib douchebag kept calling everyone an oppressive nazi while he drove around in a VW Beetle.

You're probably right, and I'm probably wrong in calling this "ironic".

Last edited:

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Anime was pretty rad back in the early/mid 90s before the weeaboos came out of the woodworks and made the whole scene incredibly gay.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
America invented the car, they invented video games, television, computing, but we left it to the japanese to perfect and hone these things over the years.

the germans invented the car, the americans invented the assembly line to mass produce it, and the japanese took both of these and made the car boring. so while the germans made handmade mercedes until the 80's. the americans made giant engined, boats that handled like coffee tables. and the japanese made tiny engined little econoboxes.

onto the topic though. when i was younger there was a local channel in austin that would do fist of the northstar, gundam 0079, and dragon ball every saturday morning starting about 5am. and that is what left the biggest impression on me as to what the definition of anime is. i didn't know a thing about anime, but to me that's what defined it. those old, hand drawn, gritty looking, cartoons that looked nothing like what the americans were coming out with at the time. and since then i've always been selective with anime. if it wasn't gundam, and good old school gundam, i didn't care.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
How far to paradise !?

Yeah i'm stuck in the 80's with these choices but man today anime lacks that gritty quality.

Good choices, Orguss is one of the finest examples of a light-hearted anime with a great darker undertone(with the whole time-distortion plot and multi-universe possibilities that fall on Kei's shoulders) Southern Cross is a fine one too! I can take or leave Macross(Although I like Do You Remember Love a lot more). As for Gundam 0083 haha, what a dissapointment that ended up being, but it retcons and bridges MSG to Zeta and it is fine in its own regard.

As for what year "anime started to suck" I don't look at it that way..To me a good show will always exceed its time, for example I may be a huge fan of 80s/90s anime but I adored Big O and I believe that was 2002? Gaogaigar as well and that was closer to late 90s? All the same quality is quality despite the year of production.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
For me, the writing was on the wall when harem shows like Tenchi Muyo and sloppy animation like in KO Century Beastwarriors became the norm.

Granted, Tenchi Muyo still had a sci-fi heart beating wtihin its chest, and KO Century has wonderful design aesthetics, but these shows contained the first instances of stuff that's become more popular and more 'the norm.'

I'd say that high school teen drama anime is probably the absolute fucking worst of the medium. In its defense, however, it HAS been done well: Kimagure Orange Road and Ranma 1/2 are two pretty good examples, but those also came out before the high school teen anime subgenre became nothing but a pit spilling over with the worst of what anime has to offer. High school teen anime is now a nest of disease ridden filth and vermin, the ugliest sore on a rapidly decaying body.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
For me, the writing was on the wall when harem shows like Tenchi Muyo and sloppy animation like in KO Century Beastwarriors became the norm.

Granted, Tenchi Muyo still had a sci-fi heart beating wtihin its chest, and KO Century has wonderful design aesthetics, but these shows contained the first instances of stuff that's become more popular and more 'the norm.'

I'd say that high school teen drama anime is probably the absolute fucking worst of the medium. In its defense, however, it HAS been done well: Kimagure Orange Road and Ranma 1/2 are two pretty good examples, but those also came out before the high school teen anime subgenre became nothing but a pit spilling over with the worst of what anime has to offer. High school teen anime is now a nest of disease ridden filth and vermin, the ugliest sore on a rapidly decaying body.

Heh, I'm positive we kinfolk after reading the above.

You know you love some Ping Pong Club tho...lol.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Heh, I'm positive we kinfolk after reading the above.

You know you love some Ping Pong Club tho...lol.

I just read the wiki on it. If it was legitimately good, I'd watch it. I'd watch anything that is legitimately good, despite the subject matter.

For example, as much as I can't stand high school anime, I LOVE Slam Dunk! I put it in my top ten of all time.

Takehiko Inoue is a master of the genre. He may be the most gifted creator the medium's seen in the last 20-30 years. Between Slam Dunk!, Real and Vagabond, I can' t think of another manga-ka who is capable of jumping between genres of fiction and can still maintain his vision.

Slam Dunk! is about high school and basketball, but the emphasis isn't so much on the romance between Sakuragi, Haruko and Rukawa as it is about the maturing of a boy into a man, the complex dynamics of personalities and egos clashing with one another and of how they all have to adjust their perspectives in order to work as a team. In a very real sense, they are like the Bulls of the 90s, with all those superstarsand great players having to overcome their egos and work together to achieve the pinnacle of their activity. As Sakuragi evolves, REAL emphasis is put on his accomplishments, and he goes from being a punk ass wanna be to a real BASKETBALL player.

I find the evolution of characters, when handled properly and with the narrative emphasis evident in the right places, transcends the subject matter and is eminently worthwhile. I don't care about the creation of Facebook, but the film The Social Network is an expertly told story about social dynamics and egos clashing and coalescing.

Too much of the shitty anime/manga today copies the events of the best anime/manga without really understanding what makes the event special to begin with. It's a douchebag response to create something that will be 'like Slam Dunk!' This kind of mentality helped damage comic books in the 90s. Future comic creators read The Dark Knight Returns and The Watchmen and they were heavily influenced by those works. But they didn't stop to ask if they were up to the task of properly harnessing their inspiration and turning it into something worthy. All the knockoffs, all the copycats, all the SHITTY comics that came because someone before them 'got it.'

This is the way it is. Somebody innovates and everybody imitates. I don't despise the mentality: it's part and parcel of the muse, of creative inspiration itself. Less worthy imitators in any medium of art are unavoidable. But that doesn't mean I can't hate on what I think is shitty product. I do just that, and will continue to do so. Discerning opinions, yo.