Everdrives! Talk to me...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I went the Everdrive route a couple years ago for everything up through the Dreamcast.

I totally agree with MJM's sentiment about skipping around. Paralysis of choice is a very real enemy. That said, I don't see how it would be any different if you had a full set of carts. When you have the entire library available at your fingertips, it's difficult not to just play 5 minutes and want to move on to something else.

Beyond that, I can't recommend it enough. Prevents stupid collecting, removes clutter, still allows you to use original hardware plus you can play all of the fun ROM hacks and weird shit like the Zelda randomizers.

Keep in mind, there are a handful of games that don't run on SNES (because of specialty chips), NES (there are a couple of mappers that haven't been situated) and PS1 (because PS-IO is still relatively early on). You can find links to SmokeMonster's complete ROM sets in a variety of places.

The first ED I bought was the GB one - that was a year and a half ago and I havent touched the my stack of GB games since.

In my experience, they render a physical collection useless. You're still playing the game on original hardware, which was the point all along.

This.

I just don't know what took me so long to make the change. I guess it was the whole nostalgia factor, wish I had all this stuff as a kid kind of mentality. Well, now that Im a adult, owning that stuff just didn't feel the same.

It's like when you were a kid and owned a handful of games on a specific console and played them till you were blue in the face and enjoyed the crap out of those 5 or 6 games. Now as a adult you have this crazy library of games and are trying to replicate that feeling as a kid but it just doesn't feel the same. At least not for me. Now I could enjoy these games when ever I feel like it without having all the clutter. I guess I sound like broken record and I know some are going to be annoyed with my comments but I know we have members here who want to let go but can't do it. Just fuckin do it already and you'll thank me later.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I own Everdrives for most systems and prefer to use them to play games instead of originals because it's much more convenient.

I still buy the odd PCB or console game but far less than before.

Needing to play originals to enjoy gaming is a bit weird, guys. Seek help! :keke:

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
I went the Everdrive route and love it. For one, it's much cheaper than buying originals. Do you like Earthbound and Mega Man X3? Well, the SD2SNES has more than paid for itself with two games. You can also use them to play fan translations and hacks/homebrews on real hardware.

The best part of not using original carts is being able to sit back and laugh at all the idiots complaining about the costs of retro gaming.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The best part of not using original carts is being able to sit back and laugh at all the idiots complaining about the costs of retro gaming.

I'd much rather laugh at the idiots paying those ridiculous costs.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The ability to jump game-to-game caused me to jump game-to-game. It never felt real

The potential of this happening is what's dissuaded me from buying one.

I think I could exert some degree of self control, but access to all of those roms would probably kill some part of the experience for me.

I don't think this is a concern for most though, and I understand how it's a no-brainer for many to reap the pros of owning them.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

I think I could exert some degree of self control, but access to all of those roms would probably kill some part of the experience for me.

I don't think this is a concern for most though, and I understand how it's a no-brainer for many to reap the pros of owning them.

Personally, it's very real. I think to myself, "Maybe I should get an old flash cart that can fit only one game at a time, and since it's a pain in the ass to reflash, I better make sure the next game I choose is worth it."

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Honestly, it's not even a factor.

I was afraid of this myself, because it did this exact thing with my OG Xbox. I would never sit and play a game for an hour, I'd sit and play 20 games in an hour.

What really helped me was the decision to "cherry-pick" the games to put on the ED. Fuck complete sets.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I’ve got all the MVS anyone would want and it makes no sense considering the NeoSD is out. Will I sell them all? Probably not, at least not anytime soon. That said I am slowly purging through my collection of other console games, mainly ones that function on an ED. I’ve got a few and they’re fantastic. I dont suffer from the “emulator syndrome” that others have mentioned but I can understand how it has an effect - I hardly get to game much as it is though, so spending 30 minutes on a game via an ED is fine for me.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
When I first got my SNES copier in the 90's I definitely fell into "download every new release and play it for 10 minutes before trying something new" cycle. It's good for sampling games, but eventually I'd sample and then concentrate on a handful of games. When I got my Genesis ED I told myself I'd concentrate on just one game and have done a pretty good job of that.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Shit, I have a hard enough time concentrating on one system let alone games. I change Systems as often as I change games lol. Last game that I actually spent some serious time on was the Resident Evil 4 Remake on the ps4. Everything else is quick action Shtmup, Beat'm Up or Platformer.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Thank you to everyone who replied! I think I got all the info I need, and will start going the Everdrive route

You won't be able to play Kirby's Dreamland 3 on any everdrive bro, not even the sd2snes. It's one of the few games that comes with some chip that isn't supported yet (SA1, Super FX, ect). The list of unsupported games includes some cool stuff like Yoshi's Island, Mario RPG, Starfox and Doom.
OK, cool. I've got Mario RPG and Starfox, don't care about Doom, and can pick up Yoshi again someday if I want to play it.

Just realized the Wii Kirby 20th Anniversary release has all the Kirby games I really want to play anyhow, and is like 1/4 the cost of Dreamland 3!

tl;dr there was an article some months back about "the dangers of 3.3v components in flash/pirate carts" where some of those were poorly designed and pose a threat to original hardware. Real world testing by everyday users has so far proven the danger to be somewhat exaggerated.

ttll;;ddrr you can use old everdrives (Turbo ED V1, Mega ED V1 etc), just know that it might be a contributing factor to your console biting the dust one day. recent flash carts (EDN8, Mega ED X5, Turbo ED V2, SD2SNES) pose zero threat.
Cool, that's really useful info! I didn't realize killing systems could be a concern; seems like this is everything I need to avoid that!

This.
I just don't know what took me so long to make the change. I guess it was the whole nostalgia factor, wish I had all this stuff as a kid kind of mentality. Well, now that Im a adult, owning that stuff just didn't feel the same.

It's like when you were a kid and owned a handful of games on a specific console and played them till you were blue in the face and enjoyed the crap out of those 5 or 6 games. Now as a adult you have this crazy library of games and are trying to replicate that feeling as a kid but it just doesn't feel the same. At least not for me. Now I could enjoy these games when ever I feel like it without having all the clutter.
I think that's exactly where I am with retro games. Owning stuff for the sake of owning it appeals in some small way, but stuff costs too much and takes up too much space. I'd rather be able to dig into a new game at will. Frankly I think this post just pushed me over the edge on Everdrives. Thanks!

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
So you can't spend time with games if they fall into these genres?

If it's not a jump in-jump out FPS on PC like Battlefield/battlegrounds or a racer like Gran Turismo or Project Cars which require zero real dedication... then yeah I'm the same. Anything that requires 30 hours out of me with a story has got to be really fucking good or who gives a fuck.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Don't listen to these fuck boys. Collin.

Ain't gonna shit out your systems.

Buy em, play em. End of line.

Last edited:

SNKNostalgia

Fighting Artist
So far, I have the N8 for the NES, Turbo Everdrive, Mega Everdrive older equilavant of the X7, R4i Gold for DS, and the SD2SNES. I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of them. Being able to play English translated ROMS on real hardware is great, the Pyron re-colored Genesis games is a bonus and the MSU-1 CD audio for the SNES is amazing. I need to sell some games so I can finally get a NeoSD cart. I will eventually get the N64 and GB/GBA ones later.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So far, I have the N8 for the NES, Turbo Everdrive, Mega Everdrive older equilavant of the X7, R4i Gold for DS, and the SD2SNES. I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of them. Being able to play English translated ROMS on real hardware is great, the Pyron re-colored Genesis games is a bonus and the MSU-1 CD audio for the SNES is amazing. I need to sell some games so I can finally get a NeoSD cart. I will eventually get the N64 and GB/GBA ones later.

Ohh yes, the Genny games with the different color palette's are very cool. I played a few and was very impressed with the SOR2 and SFIICE ones.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
...I think I could exert some degree of self control...

Only casuals and folks with ADD can't keep it together, self control is not needed, just the real want to play a specific game, period.

Ninja Spirit is what I play the most on my PCE ED and whenever I start the system all I do is press select and the game starts instantly, just one more step than the original card, no big deal.

Commitment is not for everyone I guess.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I did this but just couldn't enjoy it. The ability to jump game-to-game caused me to jump game-to-game. It never felt real, I didn't dig into games the way I used to. I sold collections, bought everdrives, sold everdrives, and then just got the games I wanted. If your personality is one that wants to be as original as possible - this isn't going to stick. If you truly just want access to the games then it might. It's a great option for some for sure.

I used to have that habit back in the day. jumping from game to game. I learned at some point (way before everdrives were a thing) to not pick up a new game until i was "finished" with a game im already playing....within in reason of course. Like no new RPG till i finish the one im already playing and so on. The only games i find challenging to do this with are arcade type games like shmups and beat em ups

btw im pretty sure i bought your old n64 everdrive v2 and its still gets plenty of use.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I used to have that habit back in the day. jumping from game to game.

If you're unfamiliar with everdrives, it's the thing to do, a necessary phase of tasting paradise... going into an adrenaline rush, trying one game after another, pumping like a semi-automatic on your crt. Such an overexcitement is what we deserve, after all these lean years imposed by laughable pocket money. Get a life? Well, that's getting it, all right!

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Thank you to everyone who replied! I think I got all the info I need, and will start going the Everdrive route

I only have one Everdrive device, but it has been a great experience all around. One thing to keep in mind, though. If you're getting one for the MegaDrive, go all out and buy the X7 version. It's totally worth it for the snapshot saves alone. Also, being able to access the menu and change games from your couch is pretty darn convenient.

Now, there is one minor drawback to the Everdrive if you're using a WonderMega, or any other model that integrates the CD add-on. If you try running anything exceeding 32 megabit, you'll be prompted to unplug the CD or 32X module, which you obviously can't do. Regular cart space is mapped up to $3FFFFF, and you can exceed that without bank switching, as long as there's no add-on present. The CD BIOS occupies $400000 - $7FFFFF space, and therefore it can't be used.

This is something I came across while running some homebrew and scene demos, but it also applies to those obscenely large, flat-mapped Mortal Kombat hacks.

P.S. - If you're getting rid of the games, keep that Virtua Racing cart. I don't think we're ever getting SVP support on a flash device for a MegaDrive.

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
im thinking of trying everdrive myself, wanna start off on the SNES, not buying into the snes classic hype. But there are different versions of the everdrive(snes) are there ones i should avoid?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
im thinking of trying everdrive myself, wanna start off on the SNES, not buying into the snes classic hype. But there are different versions of the everdrive(snes) are there ones i should avoid?

Just get the SD2SNES from Krikzz. Don't overpay with Stone Age. Most compatible flash cart, even if it's not 100% compatible.

P.S. - If you're getting rid of the games, keep that Virtua Racing cart. I don't think we're ever getting SVP support on a flash device for a MegaDrive.

Or just play the 32X version, instead.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just get the SD2SNES from Krikzz. Don't overpay with Stone Age. Most compatible flash cart, even if it's not 100% compatible.

Or just play the 32X version, instead.

Or just play the ps2 version which is better.