Evercade thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

Def preordering both of these, but don't see any US retailers yet. Paging @famicommander - let me know when you spot them for preorder over in these parts.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I knew you'd know - thanks!

giphy.gif

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I keep misreading Goodboy Galaxy as Goodbye Galaxy. Probably because Commander Keen came up earlier.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I keep misreading Goodboy Galaxy as Goodbye Galaxy. Probably because Commander Keen came up earlier.

I need a Commander Keen cart, Catacombs 3D, Wolfenstein/Spear of Destiny, Monster Bash (maybe on an Apogee Classics cart)

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
So it's the PS1 version of Duke Nukem 3D, but they went back and improved it some. Better frame rate, faster load times, bug fixes, control optimizations.

After learning keyboard & mouse controls (and later dual stick controls) I can't hardly spend 5 minutes on older console FPS games that don't control that way. I could handle Doom with shoulder strafing mainly because it didn't require you to aim on a Y axis. I'm curious as to what their "control optimizations" are because there's not a whole lot you can do.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
After learning keyboard & mouse controls (and later dual stick controls) I can't hardly spend 5 minutes on older console FPS games that don't control that way. I could handle Doom with shoulder strafing mainly because it didn't require you to aim on a Y axis. I'm curious as to what their "control optimizations" are because there's not a whole lot you can do.
pretty sure duke sort of faked the Y axis aiming. You could shoot at the sky, but if you were lined up on the X axis, you were making a hit.

famicommander

15 Year Member
All 5 of the Atari carts are going to be discontinued at the end of 2023, so get them now if you want them.

Personally, I recommend the two that are full of Lynx games and the two that are full of 2600 and 7800 games, but the one with arcade games is trash because most of the games control like ass on a d-pad. So skip the Atari Arcade cart.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Atari carts will be missed. I agree the arcade cart is borked though.

pretty sure duke sort of faked the Y axis aiming. You could shoot at the sky, but if you were lined up on the X axis, you were making a hit.
Yes that was common back then. Even Quake 1 had vertical auto-aim, although most multiplayer servers later disabled it.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
All 5 of the Atari carts are going to be discontinued at the end of 2023, so get them now if you want them.

Personally, I recommend the two that are full of Lynx games and the two that are full of 2600 and 7800 games, but the one with arcade games is trash because most of the games control like ass on a d-pad. So skip the Atari Arcade cart.

here we can read 'legacy release'

what is it ? Why already stop produce card :censored:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Atari probably wouldn't renew the license since they are releasing their own 2600 thing. I'm a little surprised to hear about the Lynx carts though, I thought Songbird owned the rights on those, but maybe they still need Atari's permission too.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Atari probably wouldn't renew the license since they are releasing their own 2600 thing. I'm a little surprised to hear about the Lynx carts though, I thought Songbird owned the rights on those, but maybe they still need Atari's permission too.
The Lynx BIOS is proprietary

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Tempted to get the Lynx collections - but I know they are just shelf plastic for me.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Ah.

Shit.
Atari is backing those piece of shit MyArcade devices now, which is probably why the Evercade carts are discontinued.

So instead of being able to play 2600, 7800, Lynx, and Atari arcade games at full speed on a nice Evercade handheld you can now play only 2600 games at about 80% speed with extra flicker on a device with a shitty screen that still takes AA batteries.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Atari is backing those piece of shit MyArcade devices now, which is probably why the Evercade carts are discontinued.

So instead of being able to play 2600, 7800, Lynx, and Atari arcade games at full speed on a nice Evercade handheld you can now play only 2600 games at about 80% speed with extra flicker on a device with a shitty screen that still takes AA batteries.

Plus MyArcade have a TERRRIBLE rep - but I think they are looking for the mindless grandma dollars at Target for xmas

famicommander

15 Year Member
Plus MyArcade have a TERRRIBLE rep - but I think they are looking for the mindless grandma dollars at Target for xmas
They also have a dumbass tabletop arcade machine and a home console that says "200 arcade/2600/5200/7800 Atari games!" on it but it actually only has like 120. The other 80 are Piko Interactive NES and Genesis games. Also, the included wireless controllers are super laggy and the 5200 and 7800 emulation suck ass.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
They also have a dumbass tabletop arcade machine and a home console that says "200 arcade/2600/5200/7800 Atari games!" on it but it actually only has like 120. The other 80 are Piko Interactive NES and Genesis games. Also, the included wireless controllers are super laggy and the 5200 and 7800 emulation suck ass.
so gay

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
I keep going back and forth on wanting/not wanting one of these. Between the Pocket and the Switch, I have no idea when I'd play the damn thing, but I'm glad that it's held on as long as it has and gotten this many releases so far. Good on 'em.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I keep going back and forth on wanting/not wanting one of these. Between the Pocket and the Switch, I have no idea when I'd play the damn thing, but I'm glad that it's held on as long as it has and gotten this many releases so far. Good on 'em.
Maybe pick up one of the Taito Super Pockets that are dropping later this month. 59 bucks, 18 built in Taito games, plays all Evercade carts. Then if you like it you can upgrade to an EXP or VS.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
They also have a dumbass tabletop arcade machine and a home console that says "200 arcade/2600/5200/7800 Atari games!" on it but it actually only has like 120. The other 80 are Piko Interactive NES and Genesis games.

I'm torn as to which is worse; goobs having serious debates on the merits of that versus an Atari 2600+, or those with a raging erection and so excited they can't sit still over the fact they can poorly emulate side-loaded ROMs from the SD card.

My Arcade is the drizzling shits in everything, barely a notch above those dime-a-dozen unbranded pirate clone consoles.