Drivers for neo-geo memory card ?

Gallean

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hello,

I just realised a few days before that the neo-geo memory card is in PCMCIA format, so i tryed to plug it in my notebook PC, apparently i can plug it with no problem but don't have the drivers (of course...the opposite could be surprising) anyone know if this is possible to find/make any driver for this ? That could be verry cool...Imagine you can copy you're data in your PC, you can keep these data in safe place (in case your memory card crash).

Thanks for your help.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I don't know if it is possible to use the NG memory card in a PC, but if I remember well, it is possible to do the opposite, that is use certain "PC cards" that hold much more memory in the AES.

Also remember to check this thread if you haven't, for more general info:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82382

Last edited:

Gallean

Kuroko's Training Dummy
hmm okay thanks verry usefull link i will bookmark it, but don't see anything about using another PCcard

willywalken

Quiz Detective
memory card

man!, it fits in my notebook as well, if we could find a way to use it. we could start sharing neo memory files! now would that be neat or what?

Gallean

Kuroko's Training Dummy
yep that could be cool to share the saved files but problem isto find/make any drivers, unfortunatly i don't have any idea for the section to write in it :crying:

omnedon

Astra Superstar
Raz would be the logical choice to be able to puzzle this out. I'd love to retire my real Neo mem card, and put it back in it's sleeve. I could then use a reg PCMCIA card for day to play use, with mucho more memory.

willywalken

Quiz Detective
memory card

turn that frown upsidown, we can figure something out. who knows, this could be the start of something big! i'm going to put some major overtime on my notebook and try and figure something out. too bad neo cards don't have a little bit more memory, this 22kb is kinda tiny. but i guess that was a big thing back in 1990. but anyway, hopefully i can figure something out. :buttrock:

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I reckon it would be possible to code a memory card reader into the unibios so you could read and edit the information on it. That way we could swap game save information with each other. Simpler that trying to read it using a pc. It's only 22Kb so I'm sure there wouldn't be too much information to edit for each game.

Raz?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The memory card manager already allows you to transfer data to another card I think. If you want to swap data with each other I think the best way is to get the data onto a pc first.

Raz

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I was thinking along the lines of a text editor so someone could bring up the game save info on their screen, post it on here and other people could enter the data on their own card using the text editor and their joystick. Just a thought.

I have no idea what format is used to store the info on the card so it might not be possible.

edit: kind of like the way you can enter debug dip settings and patch the memory with the current unibios.

Last edited:

Gallean

Kuroko's Training Dummy
i will soon receive back my AES modded so i will see if i can see the memory data diferently...suspens :) i think i will receive it back tomorow

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Ive only ever seen 2K cards (PCMCIA cards come in various capacities, but we are talking dedicated neogeo right ?), older black type and newer marble type are 2K.

memcard.jpg

Do you have a pic

Gallean

Kuroko's Training Dummy
mine is also 2k, it's a black one, but i know some 22k card exist...

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Anyway, lets not pick on bones.

How to format and interface to PC ? Its possible im sure, I do not have the know how

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
You'll need to write a device driver so that Windows will recognize the hardware.

If someone is really interested, they should check into DriverStudio by Compuware. It's rather expensive (2K+), but it's going to be the best/easiest route unless you have some other experience with PCMCIA drivers.

Jeff