Donkey Kong

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
So, what's your highest score? I suck, mostly cause i've only just started so 43000ish I think, aiming for 100000, may take some time though...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So, what's your highest score? I suck, mostly cause i've only just started so 43000ish I think, aiming for 100000, may take some time though...

If I'm not mistaken, hitting a million will give you a kill screen. I know most of the high scores are not much over a million. Hell, for the longest time scores were in the upper 900,000.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Yeah, doubt that's ever gonna happen... A hundred thousand is a fair target though I recon... Been watching king of kong too much I spose an got bitten by the bug... The kill screen is actually triggered by getting onto a certain board, can't remember which but think it's about 21/2. Reason most of the high scores don't get much above that, an in fact took so long to get there, is that the game is fucking impossible!:lolz: After level 3/4, it becomes just about surviving and only the best players can even think about trying to score points... They just sort of happen as you try an survive. (It should be mentioned that i've only got to level 3 about twice... As I said, I suck at this game atm...)

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I just don´t like the game, too random. After scoring 30 000 (mame) I thought I had done enough and didn´t want to come back to it.
Needless to say I haven´t gotten anywhere near the kill screen and I dont want to either.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Each to their own I spose, Findin it strangely addictive at the moment...

housethemous

New Challenger
It's one of my all time favorite games, but I am certainly not very good.
I believe my all time high score on a 'cade machine is around 50,000.

Regardless, quite the iconic game - and possibly a cab that I would consider owning in the future.

D4rkAngel

n00b
Ya the kill screen is at 22nd stage and the 117th screen ! and you die there because the 8bit counter rolls over at 256 so ...

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
48800.... Very annoyed I missed out on the 50thou, still though, creapin up there...

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Every once in a while (usually after I re-watch King of Kong), I start obsessively playing DK for a few days, although I'm still pretty awful at the game. Anything over 20,000 is respectable in my opinion. There are just so many ways to die.

Edit: I just played some DK via Mame and it took me five attempts to break 20K (21,500). A couple more playthroughs - 26,400. Man, this game is hard.

Last edited:

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
I've been trying to learn how to control the barrels, since I recon this is the key to getting higher scores. The problem is that it only really starts working after level 3, by which point it's feckin manic anyway...

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
i get about 80K or so, i think it's around the 3rd or 4th elevator stage, that stops me cold every time

the timing on the springs at the end of the board is pretty ridiculous, u gotta have the timing down to the pixel

I got to around 305k before getting totally burned out on it. It's a pretty good game, the 1994 Game Boy Donkey Kong game is great too.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
dk-42k_zps4c876e95.jpg

I'm getting somewhat better with practice. Today was the first time I've ever broken 40,000 points or gotten to the conveyor belt stage.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
82800 Boom! Died at the third elevator stage. Decided to change my strategy and just concentrate on trying to survive and not score points, seems to have worked...

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Donkey Kong was my first cabinet, and I sold it within a year or so. It's enjoyable in spurts for me, but I just don't like it enough to devote the time necessary to be even remote competent at it. There are people who play it their entire lives and never break 500k.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
82800 Boom! Died at the third elevator stage. Decided to change my strategy and just concentrate on trying to survive and not score points, seems to have worked...

I played DK a lot over the weekend and managed a 83,500 run myself, dying on Level 4, Stage 3 (the barrel stage following the second conveyor belt stage). What you describe is pretty much the strategy I'm using on Level 3 and beyond, although I try and grab a hammer here and there to clear out the fireballs while simultaneously getting some extra points.

Edit for pic:
dk-83k_zps633d0db3.jpg

Donkey Kong was my first cabinet, and I sold it within a year or so. It's enjoyable in spurts for me, but I just don't like it enough to devote the time necessary to be even remote competent at it. There are people who play it their entire lives and never break 500k.

I'll probably never get to 500k, but I think I'll be picking up Donkey Kong as my next cab.

Last edited:

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Ha ha. Had to 1 up me didn't ya? Better get back to it then.. Race you to 100k

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Ha ha. Had to 1 up me didn't ya? Better get back to it then.. Race you to 100k

Yeah, it was completely unintentional, as I got the score over the weekend. I did kind of chuckle when I came into the thread this morning and saw your new high score (and tried my best not to sound like a one-upping douche bag while posting mine).

Race to 100k sounds good. With Donkey Kong, I could be there tonight or in six months. What a rush.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!!!! 94600! Actually got past the third elevator stage but had no lives left, died right at the start of the barrels...

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
If you're interested, a friend of mine made a video on this exact topic:

If you're just interested in the game play skip to 14:00. If you're interested in getting more serious about the game, head to http://www.donkeykongforum.com