Does anyone like Derby/Jockey/Horse racing games?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Yes, it was Gameworks. Where's a good starting point for these types of games? Stakes Winner? Pocket Card Jockey? You all have my interest piqued.

Stakes winner 1 or 2, no doubt. Neo games are easy to like/learn. It all boils down to your preference of controls to decide if you enjoy Stakes Winner 1 or 2 more. Like you double tap back to slow down in 1 but hold A to slow down in 2. I'd suggest trying both out to figure out which you like more. 1 has like really cute/fun/interesting levels to up your stats, in 2 you just buy power ups and pay to learn new input commands. 2 is a little more serious than silly, but more in depth. If you like mini-games and stuff go for one, if you find 1 too lacking get 2 I suppose. They're both similar and different enough to warrant buying both if you like one of them.

These videos should give you a good idea of which you'd prefer. If you're going to skim through the videos, essentially pay close attention to the control instructions at the beginning, the fun levels in 1, and the buying power up/skills in 2.

To sum it up:
I'd say Stakes winner 1 is more fun, but if it's not enough of a challenge and you want more control options then go for 2.
Lmk what you think. :)

Stakes Winner 1:

Stakes Winner 2:

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Oh, BTW the Neo Geo pocket game isn't part of the Stakes Winner series nor developed by the same company. Stakes Winner was developed by Saurus, same folks who made Shock Troopers). Neo Derby Champ by Dyna is one if *those* text heavy boring betting games where you don't actually race yourself just like Jockey GrandPrix. I'd strongly advise avoiding it unless that's your thing...

Last edited: