Does anyone like Derby/Jockey/Horse racing games?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I think they're pretty rad. As most are Japanese I prefer those that aren't too text heavy, and also like those that are more involved with the actual race besides just placing bets.

The ones with naked gals are pretty rad too. :p

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Actually, some yes. Derby Stallion games can be quite enjoyable from time to time.

Also, even though it is not horse racing, Wallaby on the PCE is a blast!
xICt9Q5.jpg

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Pocket jockey on 3ds is pretty dope...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I played the fuck out of the Chocobo racing minigame in FFVII...

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I did like chocobo racing on the ps1. don't think that count's though.

Edit.....Lol you just beat me famicommander, try the proper chocobo racing game on ps1 it's good.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I'm generally not a fan of any sim, so Winning Post (Saturn) was a huge bust for me. Would I like either Stakes Winner?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Never tried one. The most virtual horse riding I've ever done was in Shadow of the Colossus.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Stakes Winner 1 and 2 are both great. They are arcadey, not simulations. I like 2 more, probably only because it's easier and one of the few Neo Geo games I have beaten on one credit. It's unfortunate that these are two games most people don't consider trying because of the premise.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Actually, some yes. Derby Stallion games can be quite enjoyable from time to time.

Also, even though it is not horse racing, Wallaby on the PCE is a blast!
View attachment 35846

Wait... a good hucard I've never heard of? You gotta give me moar details brotha! Is it playable for non-japanese speakers?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Stakes Winner 1 and 2 are both great. They are arcadey, not simulations. I like 2 more, probably only because it's easier and one of the few Neo Geo games I have beaten on one credit. It's unfortunate that these are two games most people don't consider trying because of the premise.

I happen to love just about all the Neo-Geo sports titles despite not being a sports fan. I do like horse racing thiugh so I'm a bit bias. I agree, they're very arcadey and I think anyone would enjoy them.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I've always enjoyed watching girls play Final Furlong.... especially when they really get into it.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Hmmm interesting topic. It's like asking if you like dating sims, Aerobiz, or train sims.

I haven't really played anything outside of Pocket Card Jockey. I remember years ago when I was running with bachelor friends downtown there was a multiplayer arcade horse racing game that looked pretty rad.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Hmmm interesting topic. It's like asking if you like dating sims, Aerobiz, or train sims.

I haven't really played anything outside of Pocket Card Jockey. I remember years ago when I was running with bachelor friends downtown there was a multiplayer arcade horse racing game that looked pretty rad.

It's a really Cool genre, but the majority of games are bad as they're mostly all about technical betting/odds like Jockey GrandPrix. The real gems are the ones where you control the racing itself and aren't full of walls of text before races.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I used to have Stakes Winner, finished it and sold it because it was really boring. I recently bought Gallop Racer for PS3 but haven't really get into it yet.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Back in the late 90's enjoyed the mechanical derby tracks in the arcades. You'd place a bet with your tokens and then sit back and watch. I never could get into the video games, though.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yes. Stakes Winner 2 is a regular in my 4 slot.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I feel like a loser since I've never played either Stakes Winner or Stakes Winner 2.:(

I played one racing sim at an arcade once. It was not fun, and was really boring. Probably was the same one GregN was referring to, it was at Gameworks.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I've played a few over the years, tend to be hit and miss but finding a good one is fun. I've sat down at a big arcade one before where you ride a fake horse, that's really quite cool. I tried out stakes winner on the 161in1 I have, couldn't figure it out as I never got beyond the back half of the pack.

xorthen

Banned
I don't like sports games much unless there is an alteration to the traditional sports style. NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, etc. I have no experience with horse racing games because it sounds pretty lame to be honest.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I feel like a loser since I've never played either Stakes Winner or Stakes Winner 2.:(

I played one racing sim at an arcade once. It was not fun, and was really boring. Probably was the same one GregN was referring to, it was at Gameworks.

Yes, it was Gameworks. Where's a good starting point for these types of games? Stakes Winner? Pocket Card Jockey? You all have my interest piqued.