Different Religion

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Hindunationalists and their mobs are doing lots of crazy stuff in India right now.

And adherents of Buddhism are committing ethnic cleansing in Burma under the watch of Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Gotcha. I'll check those out. Thanks.

What an utterly simplistic Western view on Myanmar.

You may know it as Myanmar. But it will always be Burma to me.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I would think if everyone went spiritualism things would be pretty tame. Those people just hang out high in the forest all day and do tarot readings. The worst conversation in publuc would be them commenting on your aura and going on about chakras.

Sure, if we wouldn't have to eat, drink, sleep, keep a steady body temperature or push the civilization for the next reproduced billions to come, I'd be delighted to have my aura shit-stormed in exchange, because of my generic knowledge about the esoteric inner traditions of Hinduism. Alas...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The bigger crime was changing Rangoon to Yangon. One of the coolest city names in the world, gone.

Doesn't matter whether I order Crab Rangoon or Crab Yangon.
I still get the same delightful dish.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Doesn't matter whether I order Crab Rangoon or Crab Yangon.
I still get the same delightful dish.

because neither had anything to do with rangoon, and usually nothing to do with crab.

And why is it on the chinese food menu?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Please do tell.

And I wasn't expressing a view on Burma, I was expressing a view on religion as it pertains to genocide.

This has been addressed in another thread, but Suu Kyi isn't watching over a genocide like some reich fuhrer. She's not in a real position of power, and her authority is only to decide when to commit suicide, as long as she can get away with it. Otherwise the military controls the political arena in Myanmar.

The other part of this is how ridiculous the Rohingya diaspora into Myanmar was. Did they think this would be like Albanians flooding into Kosovo, and they could force a referendum to seize territory and create an sovereign nation? How is that working out for Abkhazia, where Russians supported the brigadiering of a Georgian territory and the ethnic cleansing of Georgians and Armenians? Or in Crimea, where we see ethnic russians being funneled into the region in order to vote for regional independence/annexation by Russia. Human rights are important, but the situation can be abused to seize territory when democracy is involved. An ethnic group of sunni muslims moving into a territory en masse reeks of ISIS/AlQaeda; in a region that is already on edge from Islamic tension. What happens when a weaker strongman takes over the Philippines and the west breaks off to become an Islamic republic, ordering the immediate executions (beheadings are popular by the muslims there) of Christians? It's a serious possibility, and one that cannot be understated in the wake of other regions that were seized using democratic vulnerabilities.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hey why stop there? Why not bring up the Reconquista in the Southwest or the Protocol of the Elders of Zion?

And for what is is worth, let us not forget that Buddhist monks were part of the "Cleansing".

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hey why stop there? Why not bring up the Reconquista in the Southwest or the Protocol of the Elders of Zion?

And for what is is worth, let us not forget that Buddhist monks were part of the "Cleansing".

Sometimes you spot the oddest extra space in someone's post and wonder what exactly caused it. A sloppy cut and paste of the word "Reconquista"?

Must have been quite the feat to type that in from pure memory. Except you didn't.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You think I can spell that word? Fuck no. You got me.

But just so we are all clear, we all agree that Buddhist monks are condoning and inciting ethnic violence in the country formerly known as Burma...... Right????

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You think I can spell that word? Fuck no. You got me.

But just so we are all clear, we all agree that Buddhist monks are condoning and inciting ethnic violence in the country formerly known as Burma...... Right????

or that all new yorkers condone pedophilia because a hasid in brooklyn diddled kids?

let's explore blanketry.

J-P

NEST Puppet
This has been addressed in another thread, but Suu Kyi isn't watching over a genocide like some reich fuhrer. She's not in a real position of power, and her authority is only to decide when to commit suicide, as long as she can get away with it. Otherwise the military controls the political arena in Myanmar.

The other part of this is how ridiculous the Rohingya diaspora into Myanmar was. Did they think this would be like Albanians flooding into Kosovo, and they could force a referendum to seize territory and create an sovereign nation? How is that working out for Abkhazia, where Russians supported the brigadiering of a Georgian territory and the ethnic cleansing of Georgians and Armenians? Or in Crimea, where we see ethnic russians being funneled into the region in order to vote for regional independence/annexation by Russia. Human rights are important, but the situation can be abused to seize territory when democracy is involved. An ethnic group of sunni muslims moving into a territory en masse reeks of ISIS/AlQaeda; in a region that is already on edge from Islamic tension. What happens when a weaker strongman takes over the Philippines and the west breaks off to become an Islamic republic, ordering the immediate executions (beheadings are popular by the muslims there) of Christians? It's a serious possibility, and one that cannot be understated in the wake of other regions that were seized using democratic vulnerabilities.

It's nice to read this here, it's really quite refreshing. But you realise it's pearls before swine right? Critical thinking, empathy and the ability to realise the press is often full of shit (or at least under a heavy agenda to spread bullshit) don't seem like strong points for most forum members here.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
or that all new yorkers condone pedophilia because a hasid in brooklyn diddled kids?

let's explore blanketry.

I'm not blanketing. I'm just saying that "Yes, Even Buddhist clergy have done bad shit".

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm not blanketing. I'm just saying that "Yes, Even Buddhist clergy have done bad shit".

Are you pretending that the Shaolin monks haven't been terrorizing innocent travelers in China for years? There are literally hundreds of documentaries on VHS that show these horrible acts.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Are you pretending that the Shaolin monks haven't been terrorizing innocent travelers in China for years? There are literally hundreds of documentaries on VHS that show these horrible acts.

Yeah, but most of the VHS are dubs.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It's nice to read this here, it's really quite refreshing. But you realise it's pearls before swine right? Critical thinking, empathy and the ability to realise the press is often full of shit (or at least under a heavy agenda to spread bullshit) don't seem like strong points for most forum members here.

If suggesting that the Rohingya are trying to seize land "using democratic vulnerabilities" by moving to a country where a military junta controls everything is your idea of critical thinking......

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Just remember, every massive human rights violation in modern history has some asshole making the same types of arguments and excuses.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
the ability to realise the press is often full of shit (or at least under a heavy agenda to spread bullshit) don't seem like strong points for most forum members here.

Seriously? This place is a conspiracy theorists playground.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Just remember, every massive human rights violation in modern history has some asshole making the same types of arguments and excuses.

Care to post some evidence of that?

Or are we still reading about Iberian history at casa de fish?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Evidence? Facts? Provenance? Relax pal, this is The Fish. Just trust him on this. Also, David Lee Roth is a racist who misappropriated black culture.