Dark Souls 2 Thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Does Licia drop anything good?

I haven't played in a couple days.

Messed around in the Gutter today but then I ran out of toches, fuck. Made it to the Lower Gutter savepoint but I know I'm missing tons of stuff in the area (if there is anything worth getting) - I know how to get to the the Black Gulch (is that what it's called?) bonfire because I got there as a phantom in co-op.

But really, I just want some god damn torches. The hollows with torches weren't dropping them frequently for me.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Does Licia drop anything good?
Not really, just a midrange chime plus the key item to operate the tower. There are bosses that drop 50k souls that are easier to kill than she is. The best NPCs to kill were the town armor seller and the undead purgatory covenant NPC because they both drop gear that helps soul droprate (with some of the purgatory NPC gear then showing up in the hag's inventory). Torches were a big problem for me - I had to hold off on the Gutter and the Chasm until late. They need to be an unlimited merchant item. Ditto for lockstones.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So I take it torches are the only light source available to players, aside from the cast light sorcery?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I didn't progress past the first bonfire in Black Gulch - went to the Shaded Woods instead.

Couple questions:

In the fog part of the forest is there any way to see the phantoms (Unveil miracle?)

Just past the Shaded Ruins bonfire I am getting wrecked by those barbarian ass looking motherfuckers. I wonder if I'm not ready to go there yet or just need to adopt a different strategy.

Any suggestions on where to go next for easiest progression? I can still go to Huntsman's Copse. I can probably beat these barbarian dudes. I was just getting discouraged.

EDIT: Okay, I must have been drunk earlier or something - beat these barbarian dudes no problem. They hit fucking HARD though.

EDIT 2: What's the deal with the NPC in the wheelchair that you access by falling down a hole?

Also, is it possible to get enough branches to unpetrify everything on a single playthrough?

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I don't know of any way to see the phantoms. The lion warriors are essentially back attack trainers and even pure sorc whose spells don't work against them can finish them with a couple of back attacks and followups. Huntsman's Copse is a much earlier area than the gulch or ruins I think, though it has some tricky boss fights. The wheelchair NPC is a covenant NPC you need to find in 3 different locations before he lets you join. And yes, surprisingly there are enough branches to unpetrify everything if you talk to the manscorpion in the ruins using the ring of whispers before and after killing the area boss and don't leave the statue in the middle of the ruins area for last (there is another branch behind it).

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I killed the man scorpion :(

I also killed the giant bug near the Lower Gutter bonfire, he didn't aggro when I attacked him...was it someone I could talk to also?

I don't know if I have the ring of whispers.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I think the giant bug is just there as a joke referring to the colorless soul mobs in the previous games. See if there is a grave where you killed the manscorpion... most dead NPCs in this game you can still use if you pay souls to resurrect them every time you visit.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Man Scorpion has no grave headstone :(

Manscorpion Tark gives you a fragrant branch of yore and some other thing(s) on the first play through...but holy shit I had no idea you could summon him for the Najka boss fight.

Fragrant branches of yore are in limited supply...so use them on Straid, the pyromancer chick obviously, and the three lions...use neither stones of pharos or branches of yore in the doors of pharos level....that whole place is a waste of items.

I think Straid is my favorite NPC in this game for his hilariously antagonistic tone and infectious laughter. and I'm pretty sure he's the same voice actor as Dark Stalker Kaathe from DS1. Pardonner Cromwell is pretty good as well.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Damn, wish I hadn't killed him.

Three lions? Don't think I've seen any of those yet. I freed the Pyromancer and Straid and the only other petrified things I've seen have been the bix axe guys in Shade Forest.

When you say Pharos level do you mean Grave of Saints? I saw there were a ton of Pharos Locks in that place.

Straid tells a lot of really fucking cool lore.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Yeah, those axe guys are lions...with goat voices for some reason.
One gives you the key to an awesome blacksmith, another to the black knight halberd from DS1, and the other gives you something like another branch of yore and something else.

Grave of saints is worthless for pharos stones as well, but I'm talking about the area past the shaded woods... where you kill girlscorpion najka.
It's called the Doors of pharos and they are all seemingly worthless (as are the petrified dwarves).

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Killed Girl Scorpion.

I made it to the Cove, seemingly skipping past the Doors of Pharros area?

Anything I should go back in to the Pharros area to get?

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm trying not to read most of the posts in this thread. What's the verdict? Better than the first?

I'm on playthrough 3 of DS1. Killed it this time. I'm going to go on record to saying this, Ornstein and Smough, by far the toughest boss fight in the game. You can learn everyone's pattern in this game but trying to manage two badass enemies at one time is pretty tough, then Ornstein's giant version just fucking tears you apart. But yeah, I can breeze through this game now. I can even play from the ground up and kill it. Pretty good feeling, not going to lie.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Having sunk about 25 hours into this game, I'm not really enjoying it or feeling any sense of accomplishment over beating its more significant challenges. I'm pretty let down overall. This is going to be a one and done for me.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Having sunk about 25 hours into this game, I'm not really enjoying it or feeling any sense of accomplishment over beating its more significant challenges. I'm pretty let down overall. This is going to be a one and done for me.

It has a few bright spots and the gameplay is improved in some ways.
But there are aspects that account for some of the shittiest gaming experiences I've ever fucking had in any game. ever.

Like farming for certain equipment: 2 characters that only appear in NG+ during a boss fight (in a small room) and any of them can one shot you, and the item almost never fucking drops (when you actually manage to kill them) and when it does drop its the wrong piece.

So....basically what From arranged for the player is hours/days/weeks?! of repetitive, shitty, unenjoyable gameplay that is not so much a challenge as it is a waste of fucking time.

So thats 2 shitty things they carried over from Demons souls: 1) farming for shit that may never drop (pure bladestone, anyone?) and 2)warping back to the hub to level up (lots of pointless loading time).

That said, take the time to figure it out and it'll start to make sense.
FWIW, I REALLY fucking hated it for the first playthrough as well...and much of the second playthrough.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I've got the game figured out well enough, I think. It's not that I die that's disappointing. I expect that and I'm cool with the steep enemy learning curve.

It's what you said about the Demon's Souls regressions. That is probably my biggest problem.

Dark Souls was SUCH a step up from Demon's Souls, which I enjoyed but had problems. And now they've seemingly taken a step back.

The game doesn't feel tested. I'm sure it HAS been, given how meticulous From is about this series. It just...doesn't feel like its been tested.

It is highly unlikely I'll play a NG+, unless they release zone and story based DLC for it like they did with Artorias in the first one.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Okay, so.

I've gone through all the following areas, with bosses killed:

Forest of Fallen Giants
Heide's Tower of Flame
Cathedral of Blue
No Man's Wharf
Lost Bastille (first area that engaged me on the same level that Dark Souls did)
Belfry Luna
Huntsman's Copse

Completed up to boss:

Sinner's Rise

I feel I need to further contextualize my earlier comments about the game.

It's clear that I'm enjoying the game on a certain level. I am losing track of time and playing, playing, playing. And it's not solely because I have this inner competitive need to beat the game.

I am digging the lore, the atmosphere and some of the more puzzly aspects like tricking the Undead Jailer to kick the barrel down the stairs and blow up the wall for easy access to some items and the blacksmith)can walk up on debris to access areas and so forth.

I love the NPCs, their conversations, the knowledge they drop and their general designs. Spoon was right about the smith's daughter-really nice, attractive character design. I also think the leveling NPC is pretty nicely designed too. From Software has such great art direction for this series. I also love the whole aspect of not knowing who to trust. It's well preserved from previous entries. I also like that eventually most of the key item NPCs end up back in the hub town. I like that my conversations with them, if I exhaust dialogue options, changes the landscape of the game's environments in this fashion.

I also am a really big fan of the intuitive storytelling elements of this game, and this series. I like that you will learn the more about this world as you dive deeper into it. Rushing through and missing out on the lore and atmosphere really takes away from the overall experience.

I am not keen on the enemies not respawning after you've died too many times in a particular zone. Although as I understand it, there's a way to reset the zone. I just haven't found it yet and am in no big hurry to do so anyway.

Weapons and armor-I can't stand the fact that Im nearly 30 hours into the game and I am still using the Heide Knight's Sword. I just converted to a Greatsword+3 and built up enough Stamina to move somewhat effectively with it. I am tempted to use some of my boss souls, but those pimp items you can trade for seem really nice. I already bought the Pursuer's sword and the Dragonrider's SHield. Sitting on the rest for now.

I hate that things like the Dull Ember and the depetrifying item are so far away from the places that you need them. The game is already so huge, and if feels like From Software was too cautious about letting you get on with your gamebreaking builds early on. Probably to hamstring the PvP aspects and make sure there was a more level playing field early on. Since I only play offline (fuck forced PvP), it's not an issue fo rme. I just want the pimpass items.

The Dull Ember in Iron Keep-I am nowhere near this place and dammit, I want to enchant my weapons. So annoying.

Some of the enemies in this game are BS. The guys guarding the Undead Purgatory are ridiculous. They're super fast with almost no recovery time to take advantage of. I hate that kind of stuff. I COULD try to parry but it seems to me that it's not really working as well as it did in previous games and that's just too risky.

This game is more like Demon's Souls in terms of its balance: Zones are sometimes frustratingly laid out and enemies tend to come in spammy hordes and never hit each other when they're flailing away, and the boss fights are more creative and engaging.

Overall, I have to recant a little bit on my comments. The game is engaging me. It's just that this has some good and bad. It's like this game should have been Dark Souls and Drk Souls shold have been Dark Souls II.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I am enjoying the shit out of this game. I would have to say many of people's complaints are valid, but it still is a really fun game IMO.

I do agree that there needs to be more WORTHWHILE gear in this game. Almost everything I find is way shittier than most the stuff found early game. (I'm still rocking a flamesword) And the low endurance on everything is kinda annoying, but I suppose you get used to it after a bit. Makes me kinda wish I got one of the special versions of the game with fancy armor.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Im about 40 hours in. The more i play, the more i enjoy the game. But I can agree on the weapons and armor still being pretty lame, after about 40 hours in. On another note, i just love exploring in these games. I love the fact that there is no map, and just exploring the area well, can yield some sweet items, and some nice shortcuts.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
And the nice thing about exploring in this fashion is that you learn, through repetition and survival instinct, about the short cuts and safe ways to navigate and you commit them to memory. The zones eventually become comfortably familiar while never losing their sninster atmosphere and dangerous navigation.

These games do the best job of making you feel like an adventurer exploring peril fraught regions. You will learn the terrain or you will die.

In a literary context, I imagine this is what separates great rangers like Strider from LotR from shitty ones you've never read about because they got buttraped by roaming orcs and wargs.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I am not keen on the enemies not respawning after you've died too many times in a particular zone. Although as I understand it, there's a way to reset the zone. I just haven't found it yet and am in no big hurry to do so anyway.

You can also force them to stop respawning if you kill them over and over again, I think it's an attempt to prevent you from grinding.

For example I warped to the NPC Straid (the sorcerer who was petrified) killed the enemies in the room he is in, and then rested at the bonfire in his cell, killed the enemies, rested, lather, rinse, repeat about a dozen times in a row before they stopped spawning.

Having to fight an enemy when all you want to do is talk to an NPC is stupid.

The way you upgrade in this game is frustrating me. I think I have a Club+6 right now. I killed a crystal lizard and got some chunks.

I'm dissapointed I went a pure strength path at the moment, particularly since so many "strength" weapons require dex. A quality, balanced build seems the better option.

Where is the Sunbro covenant at?

Just an FYI but if you kill the Manscorpion he gives you a kickass ring.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
And I don't understand why they'd prevent you from grinding, except to serve PVP balance issues.

Which, fuck that anyway. A game like Dark Souls should never kneecap itself to fulfill multiplayer objectives. If I want to kill squishy enemies for days and days, I should be allowed to. Period.

There should be no mandate on the player of a grindy RPG to stop grinding and move forward. That should be a player decision, not a design element.

The thing that frustrates me the most is that you are forced to do PvP if you want to play online. I never understood why From Soft felt the need to force this on us. We, as players, largely define our DeS/DaS/DaS II experiences. We are the ones that get out of it what we put into it. This being the case, why force something on us that isn't welcome? I'll say it until they stop releasing these games: it should be a toggled option in menus.

But this is not a new gripe. This is a gripe that has always been there from the start.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
1. Don't listen to Duf about killing manscorpion TARK....

Spoiler:
he is likely Black Iron Tarkus from OG Dark Souls! Remember how Tarkus' dead body was in the cathedral next to painted world Ariamis? I think Seath took his dead body and turned him into a manscorpion just like he turned those maidens into blue octobitches at the Dukes Archives

2. First playthrough fucking sucks...I used nothing but that god damn Hilde sword as well. Don't treat this game like Dark Souls; don't bother farming...just kill whatevers in your way and move on. Min/Maxing stat allocation isn't so important either because of the overlap with stat distribution.

And thank god for respecing; I took my shit ass dex build and turned him to pure magic and the gargoyle fight was hilariously easy....like one gargoyle dead every 15 seconds easy.

3. Duf, Sunbro covenant is in the area in front of the giant windmill...after huntmans copse (the boss with liches and pinwheel skeletons)

The guys guarding the Undead Purgatory are ridiculous.

Talking about all those dickwads perched up on those wooden posts before the bridge to the chariot boss? You bait them one by one with arrows (and don't circle them but take them head on and back away from their attacks before countering)....but what you're SUPPOSED to do is run past them all, run down the bridge and jump to either your right or left at the end in that gated area, they can't jump and they have no ranged attacks so they are fucked...then freely shoot arrows/annoying emotes at them as they back off and randomly fall off the edge due to shitty AI.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Thanks for the tips and maybe I'll blow through as fast as I can and if I enjoy the experience, go on to a NG+ to build my character. We'll see.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
1. Don't listen to Duf about killing manscorpion TARK....

For the record I do NOT advocate killing him.

I was just saying. He drops a good ring.

Should I continue in the area just past Pharros or go to Huntsmans Copse?

Last edited: