CRT Fetish Thread

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
You people need to lift some weight.
A 200lbs. plus tv should be easy for a normal guy ;)

Its 3 ft by 3 ft roughly. incredibly akward to grab and move. 2 people even can do it easily. But alone I could carry it but srairs, where impossible.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm just giving you guys shit.
I can lift 100lbs. on my own but i wouldn't recommend it since big crt's are very awkward to carry on your own and you risk doing so damage to your back.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It's not the weight, it's getting a good grip on these sets is what is tricky.

It is what I noticed with my Trinitron. The entire case is round with no real place to grip, even with multiple people. And all the weight is at the front of the set.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
It is what I noticed with my Trinitron. The entire case is round with no real place to grip, even with multiple people. And all the weight is at the front of the set.

Yep, I am right there with you. On my WEGA, it takes two people to lift even with side handles. The weight distribution is so off, that no matter how you pick it up, you will be straining to keep it from tipping forward.

2050-Z

New Challenger
Any update from the PAL RGB GameCube people from a couple pages back? Has anyone tested in the USA?

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Being curious I looked up the info on my TV It's a 36" Sony that weighs 236lbs. Sucks ass to move to be sure. Its hard to get it through doorways and such and you need two people to have any hope of safety.

Also, I'm going to go on a rant now for no reason.

One of the things I've noticed (not so much here) a lot of people saying about having the old TV sets for gaming is that they just don't have the room.

So it seems somehow over the last decade or so all the homes in America just got smaller so that you can't fit one of these in them any more. I always thought that was a shitty excuse, we've had big TVs in our homes for over four decades and somehow now just don't have the room for them.

Well, I suppose you don't when you have a big flat screen. Where the old tube used to be. It's not as much about room as it is about priority. We had TV's in our bedrooms, living rooms, hell even those little tube sets in the kitchens under the counter or on the fridge. Though when people started swapping them out, it wasn't a lack of room, so much as it was We used to use the old tube in the living room for all the gaming but now that its been replaced by the new tech, well times changed.. suddenly we don't have any room.

Bullshit. People just don't want the old TV's or otherwise they would have room for them. All the people saying If I had room for one I would have one for gaming are just spouting off shit. Because, Well they do have the room, in their living room where that flat panel is. Oh well, more crt's for us I guess.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
True. People are making room for the new so the old has to go.

And I recently tried to donate a flat screen crt like tv samsung I think, and the local thrift stores are not taking them anymore because it costs money to dispose of them!!!

Are we as a soceity just throwing out old tech for the sake of the new? Especially for those of us that do have a need for it?

I think about it, and what it means to me, and I feel little down that people can so easily forget about the past...

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yesterday I bid adieu to my sweet, lovely PVM. May you enjoy your new home in the Lion's den!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's in lions3's possession now. Hopefully he'll post in here once he gets it hooked up and stuff.

Back to CRT

After reading this thread, I was convinced to get a CRT back in the house, so I found this old trinitron. I needed help to bring it but I now have the same feeling as before!!
Thx guys:oh_no::loco:

2016-09-11 19_11_37-IMG_20160911_190406.jpg2016-09-11 19_12_11-.jpgIMG_20160911_190422.jpg

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Nice man. Good to have that back im sure. CRT is definitely the way to go for retro gaming.

I cannot agree more, and yes it takes space, but with some creativity and in my case organizing more my room was essential. Now i just need a remote to remove the video1 display :(
Nice man. Good to have that back im sure. CRT is definitely the way to go for retro gaming.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I cannot agree more, and yes it takes space, but with some creativity and in my case organizing more my room was essential. Now i just need a remote to remove the video1 display :(

Check local thrift stores if your having trouble. If no luck ill mail you on from my local bargain bin!

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
After reading this thread, I was convinced to get a CRT back in the house, so I found this old trinitron. I needed help to bring it but I now have the same feeling as before!!

Congrats! I was in the same place very recently, and it's a really good feeling to re-discover an old CRT. If your Trinitron can handle more than composite, you should look into making the most out of it. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised! I have my Samsung CRT taking in RGB through component and I still can't quite believe it can output this kind of image quality. :D

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
@YodaChips Looking really nice with that consumer Sony. Seems like most their tubes are good quality.

@GohanX Sorry to hear about your PVM GohanX but at least the monitor is in good hands.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Thanks, Taco. I'm sure I will find some consolation in my 27" Wega :keke:

Congrats! I was in the same place very recently, and it's a really good feeling to re-discover an old CRT. If your Trinitron can handle more than composite, you should look into making the most out of it. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised! I have my Samsung CRT taking in RGB through component and I still can't quite believe it can output this kind of image quality. :D

Yeah, it doesn't take rgb but S-video, which is how my AES is connected currently. its pretty decent though!

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member

Now just wait, seeing as how you've got the TV, it's just a short step away for you to start collecting laserdiscs and VHS tapes to watch on it.

I actually spend more hours watching my old CRT, than I do my 4k jobby.

Now just wait, seeing as how you've got the TV, it's just a short step away for you to start collecting laserdiscs and VHS tapes to watch on it.

I actually spend more hours watching my old CRT, than I do my 4k jobby.

........I didn't think about vhs....you're f....g right;)