CRT Fetish Thread

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I gave up trying to find a PVM locally, so I dug into the bowels of my parts boxes and pulled out my old Commodore 1702 monitor and Aura PC speakers. The monitor was filthy and had purple spots in it, and the speakers were even worse with random unidentifiable brown stains on them. Gave them both a good cleaning and did a ghetto degaussing on the monitor, and I must say the quality is outstanding. I used to use this setup back in my first apartment back in the day, I don't think I appreciated how nice the image was then.

attachment.php

Could post some pics of the pc engine runnin on that 1702?

:)

Nyd

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Sneak peak at the new CRT. Just de-boxed the ultra rare Sharp C1 8-bit Famicom TV. Much rarer than the NES TV or the Super Famicom SF-1 TV. Will do some testing this weekend. Also got the matching Sharp controllers.

sharpf3_zps5958f809.jpg~original

sharpf1_zps36b499f2.jpg~original

sharpf2_zps2a9736c7.jpg~original

simon_C

n00b
Sneak peak at the new CRT. Just de-boxed the ultra rare Sharp C1 8-bit Famicom TV. Much rarer than the NES TV or the Super Famicom SF-1 TV. Will do some testing this weekend. Also got the matching Sharp controllers.

WOW! Stellar find there! I would do a full restoration to that one. Go through and replace all the caps with nice high precision solid state ones.
Thats one to hang on to for sure.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Could post some pics of the pc engine runnin on that 1702?

:)

Nyd
I used a 1702 for a long time for my classic systems and the quality can be quite good if the monitor was well cared for. I just replaced my 1702 with a 13" PVM (S-video and Composite) because they were better, but I still keep one around as a back up.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I used a 1702 for a long time for my classic systems and the quality can be quite good if the monitor was well cared for. I just replaced my 1702 with a 13" PVM (S-video and Composite) because they were better, but I still keep one around as a back up.

I was looking into getting a Commodore monitor since there are lot of favourable opinions out there but so far have been seldom able to find a model, which had RGB and was in good technical and visual condition. And the few times I did it was usually packed together with an Amiga and sold as a complete set for a price I was just not willing to pay.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I was looking into getting a Commodore monitor since there are lot of favourable opinions out there but so far have been seldom able to find a model, which had RGB and was in good technical and visual condition. And the few times I did it was usually packed together with an Amiga and sold as a complete set for a price I was just not willing to pay.

I had a 1084, but I found the image to be a bit fuzzy or soft. the 1702 was much sharper, but of course doesn't support RGB

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza

Spoiler:

sharpf1_zps36b499f2.jpg~original

sharpf2_zps2a9736c7.jpg~original

OMG the C1 is flippin' awesome.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'll see what I can do, I've never been good at taking a screenshot worth a damn.

Eh, I couldn't take any pictures that could do the thing justice, I'm not sure if it's technique or the camera, but this cam doesn't have an adjustable shutter speed which would be really handy.

I got an adapter that lets me plug in svideo in the back. I tested it with the Saturn and GOOD LORD this thing is glorious in svideo. I honestly didn't expect it to be much of a difference. I do have to tweak the color adjustment a tad when I switch between the inputs, a minor annoyance.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Eh, I couldn't take any pictures that could do the thing justice, I'm not sure if it's technique or the camera, but this cam doesn't have an adjustable shutter speed which would be really handy.

I got an adapter that lets me plug in svideo in the back. I tested it with the Saturn and GOOD LORD this thing is glorious in svideo. I honestly didn't expect it to be much of a difference. I do have to tweak the color adjustment a tad when I switch between the inputs, a minor annoyance.

The camera must have some kind of manual mode so you can adjust the shutter speed to 1/15 or 1/20 and get both frames in the same image.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It has manual mode, but it only allows me to adjust ISO speed, it still adjusts the shutter speed automatically. Point and shoot cameras FTL. I miss my old camera, I could adjust everything on it. I might post some of the pics I took anyway when I get home, I got some half decent shots of SFA2 on the Saturn.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I recently pulled my old CRT out of the closet because I decided that it's utterly ridiculous to play old systems on a HDTV. They look much better on the screens they were intended for, and you don't need to have a game mode to reduce lag.

Reynold1

n00b
I used to have a Commodore 1084S that was just phenomenal mainly for the fact that it had stereo and RGB inputs aside from the other standard commodore inputs. However, the flyback died in it one day which cause the whole unit to no longer power on. I was pretty bummed since it was the only 1084S I had ever seen. Now I play everything pre-modern on a 27" Sharp X-flat which I'm very happy with, especially with a SCART converter attached.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
It has manual mode, but it only allows me to adjust ISO speed, it still adjusts the shutter speed automatically. Point and shoot cameras FTL. I miss my old camera, I could adjust everything on it. I might post some of the pics I took anyway when I get home, I got some half decent shots of SFA2 on the Saturn.

I take all my photos with a terrible point'n'shoot as well, but if it prompts you on whether you want to actually take the shot after it focuses, you should be able to get at least a semi decent shot.

This is all assuming your trying to photograph 240p/any progressive source; Trying to capture 480i is a total crap shoot.

Spoiler:
100_9408reduce.JPG
100_7387reduce.JPG

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Here, I've attached three best pics that I took, they really don't do this thing justice.

Attachments

• Whole Screen.jpg
    Whole Screen.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Ryu.jpg
    Ryu.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 218
  • Sagat.jpg
    Sagat.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 217

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
I had a 1084, but I found the image to be a bit fuzzy or soft. the 1702 was much sharper, but of course doesn't support RGB

i also had a 1084 and used it as my main retro TV for quite some time. always liked the look (aesthetically) of the old Commodores.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
I may have a cheap lead on a PVM-2530. Following up with the guy on Tuesday. Coming from a 20M4U I know that the picture isn't going to be as good but I'm really wanting something bigger. If that falls through there's a local guy with a 20L5 for a decent deal so I'll probably just upgrade! Wish me luck!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I may have a cheap lead on a PVM-2530. Following up with the guy on Tuesday. Coming from a 20M4U I know that the picture isn't going to be as good but I'm really wanting something bigger. If that falls through there's a local guy with a 20L5 for a decent deal so I'll probably just upgrade! Wish me luck!

The colors will pop on that 2530. But yea, the scan lines will be soft.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member

Just wanted to say how Jelly I am :)

Very nice find! I have the SFC-21G and would love this (or the US version!) very very nice!

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I had a 2530 and it was one of the best looking pictures I've ever seen. The Monitor itself is also a lot prettier in a game room. That is the heaviest monitor I've ever had to lift though holy crap

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Just wanted to say how Jelly I am :)

Very nice find! I have the SFC-21G and would love this (or the US version!) very very nice!

Thanks man :) Totally dig on your SF-21 (The big boy!). Would love to score one of those one day and a Divers DC haha

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
So i finally took the plunge in getting a PVM. I ended winning on ebay a Sony PVM-20L2MD. So i take it, i need a BNC Connector Scart cable? Is there a cheaper option then ebay, they want $35+shipping.