CRT Fetish Thread

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Not even a month here and smack talking. Word of advice - best to Obey das Yodd

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I can relate to wanting something universal to hook the consoles up with, it's just when you hack a hole into the console and then (I assume) glue down the vga port, it's just very sloppy. The genesis 1 looks clean with it because it replaced the serial port, unsure how you were able to keep it stable without some sort of glue or something. But the Saturn just looks horribly mangled.

P.S.: Check your visitor page often Simon_C. I'm sure you'll be getting quite popular soon.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Because i did mod it. I did'nt buy a cable because i am against expensive proprietary cables and connectors. I am modding all of my consoles to use standard VGA ports with standard VGA pinouts so i can use standard vga cables to hook them up with a standard vga switch.

VGA (DE-15) is no more of a standard connector than mini DIN or Scart - seems a bit pointless trying to reinvent the wheel especially since from an aesthetic perspective these mods aren’t particularly pleasing to the eye.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
VGA (DE-15) is no more of a standard connector than mini DIN or Scart - seems a bit pointless trying to reinvent the wheel especially since from an aesthetic perspective these mods aren’t particularly pleasing to the eye.
Exactly.
Sloppy and redundant mods are sloppy and redundant. You'll get no fans here for that kinda work.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
The genesis 1 looks clean with it because it replaced the serial port
Nope. Nope, you're eyes are broken. Look to the left (and slightly up) from the serial port to see the detestableness.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Seriously if you need a vga port buy a bit of cable, a din connector, and a VGA port (with a hood). Building a small adapter with those parts is far cleaner and faster than doing such hack jobs to your console. The 262 din connector can be found here if you can not find somewhere local that carries it. Learn how to build cables, it is seriously far easier and cleaner than these types of "mods". Those consoles might have been broken but there really is no reason to perform a hack job on them, especially when there are easier ways of doing it.

noCLip

Camel Slug
joined the PVM club today

got a sony PVM-20M2U complete with a traveling case.

i ordered an scart cable awhile back in preparation for this purchase but it has yet to arrive, i just got home with this sucker

20140924_170233.jpg

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
So I tried my hand at making a SCART to BNC cable with a Sync Stripper built in on Saturday. Went pretty well except I misjudged wire size, so once they were all bundled they couldn't fit through the little output on the plastic connector. I moved the stripper and switch outside the box, so it looks pretty hacky, but its behind a scart switch box so fuck it. First try, BAM Guardian goodness

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
joined the PVM club today

got a sony PVM-20M2U complete with a traveling case.

Nice, great PVM, I have the same one.

(btw, sorry for not replying to you earlier, why can't you receive PMs? I don't really want to derail threads with personal talk)

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Got that Genesis 1/Master System SCART cable from The Tardis in the mail today. That's one console down now. :D

noCLip

Camel Slug
Nice, great PVM, I have the same one.

(btw, sorry for not replying to you earlier, why can't you receive PMs? I don't really want to derail threads with personal talk)

Yeah I lost my privileges because I wasn't contributing enough to the community. Ive been trying to post a bunch more and started a forums fantasy football league so hopefully one day ill get able to gain access to the restricted stuff again.

my username on KLOV is the same is you're on there or my email is dave 69337 @ g mail if you want to email me directly.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Yeah I lost my privileges because I wasn't contributing enough to the community. Ive been trying to post a bunch more and started a forums fantasy football league so hopefully one day ill get able to gain access to the restricted stuff again.

my username on KLOV is the same is you're on there or my email is dave 69337 @ g mail if you want to email me directly.

This stuff is bullshit. I hate this new way of dealing with newer members here. Everybody is walking on eggshells and it gives the the whole community a real shitty vibe. I like a lot of you here, but a lot of you seem to be getting boners by restricting new members. Feels like a fucking frat hazing process. You guys should be better than that. We should be happy people even want to come here and discuss or just read other people's posts. This isn't a paradise that needs an initiation. I've been here a long time and I don't post a lot. My guess is 75% of the posts here are garbage. I like to read and only post if I feels it really adds to the discussion. Maybe you some of you should be embarrassed by your post count rather than proud of it. *DROPS MICROPHONE AND WALKS AWAY*

simon_C

n00b
I can relate to wanting something universal to hook the consoles up with, it's just when you hack a hole into the console and then (I assume) glue down the vga port, it's just very sloppy. The genesis 1 looks clean with it because it replaced the serial port, unsure how you were able to keep it stable without some sort of glue or something. But the Saturn just looks horribly mangled.
Actually I bolted it down with the standoffs like you're supposed to.

P.S.: Check your visitor page often Simon_C. I'm sure you'll be getting quite popular soon.

Is that a threat?

I know what I'll be doing this morning...
Oooh. I bet that will make you feel big and powerful.

Since when are DIN jacks proprietary?
They aren't, but that weird one on the saturn is.

I don't look at my consoles, i play them. They aren't exactly "art". Its a cheap piece of plastic that was basically marketed as a toy. They are cheap as hell, easy to find, and extremely common.

Exactly.
Sloppy and redundant mods are sloppy and redundant. You'll get no fans here for that kinda work.
I dunno, I wouldn't call them sloppy. But its meant to function, not be shown off.

Nope. Nope, you're eyes are broken. Look to the left (and slightly up) from the serial port to see the detestableness.
Detestableness. Nice.

Oh wow. They are indeed broken.
were. they WERE broken. get your tenses right ;)

Seriously if you need a vga port buy a bit of cable, a din connector, and a VGA port (with a hood). Building a small adapter with those parts is far cleaner and faster than doing such hack jobs to your console. The 262 din connector can be found here if you can not find somewhere local that carries it. Learn how to build cables, it is seriously far easier and cleaner than these types of "mods". Those consoles might have been broken but there really is no reason to perform a hack job on them, especially when there are easier ways of doing it.

Well considering i started with an empty shell, a broken board, and a spare CPU, and I've had that unit for going on a decade now. I think they're doing rather nicely. If it works, and is reliable, and was already "rekt", who gives a shit? Also thanks for the link.

There are plenty of other consoles out there that are pampered and taken care of and polished and kept in hermetically sealed cases. I just want to use mine. I don't understand why you guys give a shit what MY consoles look like. They are for playing, and anything that keeps them playing is okay in my book. Now, I wouldn't do it to anything rare or collectible, but damn. You guys here treat these things like they're made of solid gold and unicorn farts. Loosen up a bit, it's not the end of the world.

If you guys are getting so bent out of shape over those, you should have seen the stack of consoles that were scavenged for parts, or used in other hacks and projects. You would blow a fuse!

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Actually I bolted it down with the standoffs like you're supposed to.

Is that a threat?

Oooh. I bet that will make you feel big and powerful.

They aren't, but that weird one on the saturn is.

I don't look at my consoles, i play them. They aren't exactly "art". Its a cheap piece of plastic that was basically marketed as a toy. They are cheap as hell, easy to find, and extremely common.

I dunno, I wouldn't call them sloppy. But its meant to function, not be shown off.

Detestableness. Nice.

were. they WERE broken. get your tenses right ;)

Well considering i started with an empty shell, a broken board, and a spare CPU, and I've had that unit for going on a decade now. I think they're doing rather nicely. If it works, and is reliable, and was already "rekt", who gives a shit? Also thanks for the link.

There are plenty of other consoles out there that are pampered and taken care of and polished and kept in hermetically sealed cases. I just want to use mine. I don't understand why you guys give a shit what MY consoles look like. They are for playing, and anything that keeps them playing is okay in my book. Now, I wouldn't do it to anything rare or collectible, but damn. You guys here treat these things like they're made of solid gold and unicorn farts. Loosen up a bit, it's not the end of the world.

If you guys are getting so bent out of shape over those, you should have seen the stack of consoles that were scavenged for parts, or used in other hacks and projects. You would blow a fuse!

No one is blowing a fuse but you. It has nothing to do with keeping it pristine but doing unnecessary and sloppy work. I'm all for modding systems however these types of "mods" are just downright unnecessary if you know how to make a simple cable yourself. I gave you constructive criticism, take it or leave it but don't get mad at it.

**edit**

Are those ports hot glued? If so that is pretty bad from a modders stand point and is Drakon level mod work.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Any body ever played a Neo on a Sony Wega 27'' TV? Or any 27'' CRT for that matter?

I found one, in great condition on CL... $40. The only thing I am sort of afraid of is the screen being a bit too big and might show the Neo's age a little too much. I currently play with a Panasonic Tau, 20'' with component video. I'm sort of used to the 20'' screen and fear the 27'' will look like shite.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Any body ever played a Neo on a Sony Wega 27'' TV? Or any 27'' CRT for that matter?

I found one, in great condition on CL... $40. The only thing I am sort of afraid of is the screen being a bit too big and might show the Neo's age a little too much. I currently play with a Panasonic Tau, 20'' with component video. I'm sort of used to the 20'' screen and fear the 27'' will look like shite.

As long as the CRT is not of low quality that size should not matter. I have had later 32 inch wega's that were sharper than my 2001 20 inch Tau (which was a freaking amazing CRT). It is just a matter of the quality of the TV itself.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Thanks Skips.

Hey I never noticed you lived in AZ. How the fuck did you score a PVM in this state? Dying to know.

simon_C

n00b
No one is blowing a fuse but you. It has nothing to do with keeping it pristine but doing unnecessary and sloppy work. I'm all for modding systems however these types of "mods" are just downright unnecessary if you know how to make a simple cable yourself. I gave you constructive criticism, take it or leave it but don't get mad at it.

**edit**

Are those ports hot glued? If so that is pretty bad from a modders stand point and is Drakon level mod work.
I don't use hot glue. They are bolted in using the standoffs. Just like I said above.

The connectors are flush mounted, the wiring is tied down, everything is solid and everything works as it should. I fail to see how it is "sloppy". You may see it as unnecessary, but that is not for you to decide.

I'm really not getting bent out of shape, I'm just baffled as to why you guys are so hostile. No wonder you're driving people away from the forum. That and the draconian rules and limitations applied to new members. This forum just feels like it's full of angry people who are afraid of new people "ruining" their interpretation of their hobby.

If you want to get mad at me for how I work on my consoles, or what have you, that is your problem. I came here for help and friendly advice, not to be berated and called "sloppy".

People need to remember that this is a hobby, and these are toys. Cheap pieces of plastic with some dated electronics in them from decades ago. There were mass produced, mass marketed, and sold in huge numbers.

Good day to you.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Thanks Skips.

Hey I never noticed you lived in AZ. How the fuck did you score a PVM in this state? Dying to know.

You order them or get incredibly lucky :(. Decent RGB monitors where I live are stupid hard to come by. Whenever I sell one I get at least 20 or so texts within a few days of posting it. Most CRT's that show up here on craig's list these days tend to be worn to shit or have major geometry issues. Its one of the reasons i moved to a video scaler. I love RGB monitors but that lust for the perfect picture is costly and time consuming here, well unless you get really really lucky. It is seriously easier just to order one if you live in the Peoria/Glendale area.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Be careful with those tvs. I have one and the geometry is jacked up. See it in action if you can.