CRT Fetish Thread

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Honestly thats a good question, im not sure. I know via the ATI tv out ports (glorified SVID) they have dongles that can do component, but I can never get Blue to work on them (7pin version)
The video card manual for the HD3850 which is what i have says if hooking up to a CRT, to use the dvi/vga adapter. I guess the tv out is only for 480P, who knows.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Just scored a 9 inch BVM-9044D:

bvm-9.jpgbvm-91.jpg

Got it online on the cheap, condition unknown other than that it powers on.
As for the specs its a HR Trinitron, supports RGB input and whats interesting it does not have an onboard speaker (but I got a nice solution all figured out I'll fill ya'll on when it arrives).

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Tons of space on the inside. You could fit all sorts of stuff inside there.

I highly recommend these switches. Well, the manual version anyways. Skip the powered auto switching units.

I got mine today (manual version) from Amazon UK. Overall I am impressed with the product although things didn't start off too well - on one of the inputs I was getting a picture that was alternating between the correct and purple / pinky colours (kind of like when you select Composite on a RGB source on a PVM / BVM) + interference. Initially I though it was a compatibility problem with the device which was plugged in but then tried others and got the same results. It turned out that the problem was that the switch for that particular output was not broken in and was not pressed in all the way. Being less gentle on the switches now and so far the problem has not returned.

Functionality wise I like the number of inputs, that the scart plugs and cables are hidden from view, the fact that you can use it in a vertical orientation and that the scart sockets are very grippy – even scart plugs which are not fully populated and tend to be kind of loose sit securely in the sockets. Used it very briefly this evening - no degredation in signal quality to report (then again much the same can be said about the Hama AV-100S and similar clones).

Not too sure about the power light on the front when its in use – kind of handy but don’t like the fact that its drawing power from the selected input – these kind of devices should be as transparent as possible. Also a manual RGB on/off switch would be nice to have like on the Hama - this doesn't make any difference for RGB monitors but for Scart TV's I found that on some TV's when the switch is not depressed RGB mode will not become activated. That said on my Sony CRT TV the lack of such a switch does not seem to be causing any problems for the time being. Also mine didn’t come with any instructions (I guess a basic overview of functions is on the box), also one of the sticky feet which are attached on an adhesive sheet for application to the unit became detached in transit and glued itself to the inside of the box – these obviously just very minor points though.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yeah they don't come with any manuals or paperwork to speak of. And the included sticky feet are pretty poor quality. I would pick up some better ones to use on the unit.

If you don't like the LED, you could open it up and disconnect it.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Since SotN pics seems to be so popular I thought I'd post mine from my PVM-1943MD. The camera makes these pictures look too bright and washed out for some reason, but in person it's not nearly as bad. Sometimes I think the focus could be a smidgen sharper, but I'm not complaining.

sotn_1.jpg
sotn_2.jpg
sotn_3.jpg

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Nigga plz, jap Saturn version only! :cool:
:keke:
:tickled:

Is there any way to adjust the color on RGB? I'm not sure my colors are 100% correct. I think the only way would be to adjust the pots on the inside of my monitor (mine doesn't have on-screen adjusts).

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Tempest, the 1943MD has R G and B gain adjusts on the front, you just need a really small screwdriver to adjust them. I'm not sure if I ever adjusted them on the one I sold to you.

Also just fwiw it helps to turn the brightness/contrast way down for photos.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Some people make small PCB's with resistance adjustment pots on the RGB lines. Personally I just put normal resistors on my boards, namely my Genesis.

I've found that SNES and Saturn need no such resistors as the colors are perfect directly off the mobo's.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Tempest, the 1943MD has R G and B gain adjusts on the front, you just need a really small screwdriver to adjust them. I'm not sure if I ever adjusted them on the one I sold to you.

Also just fwiw it helps to turn the brightness/contrast way down for photos.
Really? I'll have to take a look at that. Is there a good game or test pattern (like the 240p suite) to get the colors correct?

Yeah I'll turn down the contrast/brightness for the pictures next time. I think I have them all the way up since I tend to like my games bright.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Really? I'll have to take a look at that. Is there a good game or test pattern (like the 240p suite) to get the colors correct?

Yeah I'll turn down the contrast/brightness for the pictures next time. I think I have them all the way up since I tend to like my games bright.

Yeah, see the holes for bias/gain with R G B next to them? http://medequipserve.com/images/items/6623-1.jpg a little phillips (or maybe flathead?) fits in there to adjust them.

As far as test patterns, not sure, I usually use a JAMMA board. I don't remember if the 240p test disc has them, but it's easy enough to burn one for dreamcast at least, or put the megadrive/snes ver on an everdrive.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Yeah, see the holes for bias/gain with R G B next to them? http://medequipserve.com/images/items/6623-1.jpg a little phillips (or maybe flathead?) fits in there to adjust them.

As far as test patterns, not sure, I usually use a JAMMA board. I don't remember if the 240p test disc has them, but it's easy enough to burn one for dreamcast at least, or put the megadrive/snes ver on an everdrive.
Funny, I always thought those were indicator lights or something. I never bothered to look closer. What's the difference between BIAS and GAIN?

I have a few color bar test patterns (240p suite does have them), but I never know how much to adjust it. I wonder if trying to adjust the colors in comparison to an emulator perfect screen-capture of something would be the best way.

Oh and what does that RESET button do? I mean I know it resets stuff, but which settings?

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
The easiest ever is the SegaCD port of the 240p test... All you have to do is burn it. ;)

The Dreamcast version has a few issues according to the website...

"The Dreamcast resolution is full 320x240 when in that mode and using the PowerVR (PVR) version (however the lowest pixel is not visible in most modes)"

If you have Everdrives its all super duper easy, I'm interested in this future port to Saturn but that will require a modchipped console (I have one but I don't believe its very common).

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Funny, I always thought those were indicator lights or something. I never bothered to look closer. What's the difference between BIAS and GAIN?

I have a few color bar test patterns (240p suite does have them), but I never know how much to adjust it. I wonder if trying to adjust the colors in comparison to an emulator perfect screen-capture of something would be the best way.

Oh and what does that RESET button do? I mean I know it resets stuff, but which settings?

RESET I believe does just brightness/contrast, and maybe the other settings (aperture, chroma, phase).

Best answer I can find for bias v gain is:
Bias controls control color balance at or near the black point. Generally, you don't have to do much with these controls as slight lack of color balance at the low end is not very visible.

The gain controls control color balance at or near the white point. These are the ones you should be most concerned with.

Someone please correct me on that if it's not right.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Have a chance at getting my hands on an XC-3730 tomorrow.

While I can find them listed, I can't seem to find a photo of the inputs on the back. Would anyone be able to help me on this?
Also was curious how it plays with composite video for sync, or if it will even take composite sync at all; Was planning on taking my SNES with me to test out.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Here's a pic of my pvm running Esp.Ra.De in component. 2 Questions, 1. I was playing Gunbird in TATE on my PS2 and I had the PVM rotated the opposite way. Why did I have to rotate the monitor this way for this PCB?

2. How do I adjust the H/V size, position, pin cushion etc. There isn't anything in the menu. Is there a service menu I can do this? It's PVM-20M4A.

Cheers

21n0io3.jpg

Last edited:

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Here's a pic of my pvm running Esp.Ra.De in component. 2 Questions, 1. I was playing Gunbird in TATE on my PS2 and I had the PVM rotated the opposite way. Why did I have to rotate the monitor this way for this PCB?

2. How do I adjust the H/V size, position, pin cushion etc. There isn't anything in the menu. Is there a service menu I can do this? It's PVM-20M4A.

Cheers

21n0io3.jpg
Some pcbs are like that and often in the Service menu or dip setting you can flip the image the other way.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member

I have a 20M4U, but I think it's the same. Press MENU, then hold DEGAUSS and press ENTER. That will take you into the service menu. From there MENU/ENTER moves between entries, and +/- adjust their values. The ones you are interested in are VIDEO PHASE, V SIZE, V CENTER and H SIZE

To save your changes:
press DEGAUSS, you should see a * on the screen. Press DEGAUSS again, and it will write. It will only do this if you changed a value.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The PVM 2950 as it is currently setup (please excuse the poor photos):

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Well, despite not being able to get it to display RGB yet, I ended up taking it; Sadly scratching the hell out of the casing in moving it.

While I had it on the first floor, everything looked fine(over composite). Now that I've moved it up to the second floor, I've noticed an odd discoloration of reds in one part of the screen. I'm positive it wasn't there before, and the built in degauss isn't doing anything for it.
View attachment 17692

Is there anything I can do for this, or have I been left with a 200lb crippled monitor?