CRT Fetish Thread

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I wish I had a wall of PVMs.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
The white square at the top of some PVMs is called a "tally lamp", used to indicate "ON AIR" status in a studio environment. It can be lit up in different colors using the remote.

> The tally lamp function is forcibly assigned to 7 pin and 8 pin of the PARALLEL REMOTE connector. Selecting ON assigns tally lamp green to 7 pin and tally lamp red to 8 pin.

> The PVM-740 features a tally lamp controlled by the parallel remote connector. The tally lamp identifies the status of the signal by the colors red, green or amber.

Might be a cool thing to somehow mod. Is anyone using it?

I've been curious about what the lamps purpose is. Thanks for the info.

On my PVM, the lamp flashes green when the monitor is turned on.

Darknb

n00b
I wish I had a wall of PVMs.

In the "avant-garde" section of the New Britain museum of art there was a pile of pvms displaying random artsy images. I had a powerful urge tohook up a saturn or something... or steal em. No one would even have seen me.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Is it possible to display a single image on a wall of PVMs?

I'm sure it is. just multiple sources each transmitting a part of the image.

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
i have like 6 13" trinitrons like the one above and a 20" PVM-2030 on my desk. i have my saturn plugged up via SCART to that one and i use the little ones for N64 and TG16 gaming via composite. really need to get those RGB modded in the future...

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
i have like 6 13" trinitrons like the one above and a 20" PVM-2030 on my desk. i have my saturn plugged up via SCART to that one and i use the little ones for N64 and TG16 gaming via composite. really need to get those RGB modded in the future...

I have a stack of 13" PVM's that I got from a local guy that I use for my classic computers as they can only do S-video or composite (PVM's still look amazing in composite). I've been selling them off one by one to people at $35 a pop.

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
I have a stack of 13" PVM's that I got from a local guy that I use for my classic computers as they can only do S-video or composite (PVM's still look amazing in composite). I've been selling them off one by one to people at $35 a pop.

nice, i did a similar thing. picked up a large lot of them in a surplus auction at a local university here. this is what i have left out of a lot that included like 5 20" medical units, two 2030's and a 2530.

great little monitors.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Got my RCA to BNC adapters today so I could test out the PVMs. Man even in composite these look great. I still need to make some picture adjustments, the contrast, brightness and aperature are all off. Whats the best way to get a test screen from a source to adjust these?

29" Composite

29" Component PS2

20" Composite

13" Composite

8" Composite ( I was the most suprised how great this looks in person)

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Yeah those little 8" monitors have super sharp pictures for some reason. Maybe it's because the screen is so small you can't see the imperfections, or maybe they have more lines?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Yeah those little 8" monitors have super sharp pictures for some reason. Maybe it's because the screen is so small you can't see the imperfections, or maybe they have more lines?

Probably simliar lines but much smaller space. I figured that at that small it would be cool but not really playable but it most definitely was, would be awesome to take on vacation if you dont have much room.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Got my RCA to BNC adapters today so I could test out the PVMs. Man even in composite these look great. I still need to make some picture adjustments, the contrast, brightness and aperature are all off. Whats the best way to get a test screen from a source to adjust these?

Either a supergun with any JAMMA board (most have test patterns at least for convergence and screen size / color / brightness) or the 240p test suite disc you can burn if you have a Dreamcast or another system that it works with. http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite#Downloads

2050-Z

New Challenger
Is it possible to display a single image on a wall of PVMs?

Blank Check, anyone?

ednzt3C.jpg

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
I intend to buy a second Monitor a sony bvm-20f1e , what would be a fair price for it , Not a lucky find or so

Thanks Chris

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I intend to buy a second Monitor a sony bvm-20f1e , what would be a fair price for it , Not a lucky find or so

Thanks Chris

I got my 2004 BVM 20F1U for $200 with less than 8000 hours on it and in flawless cosmetic condition. Keep in mind you need to have the BKM-10R control unit to go with it. Usually these can be found new for 60 Greenbacks.

If you are planning to play games that are higher res than 240p, I would go with one of the multiformat PVMs. That being said, if you are planing to play games from the Saturn era to NES or Jamma boards, this monitor will smoke everything else. Good luck in your hunt!

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
Thanks for telling , its just for retro anything else beyond 720p will be played on a good old LCD :)

I know that i have to buy a bkm-10r it would be the same price here , the price of the monitor itself would be the same amount just in Euro

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Found this locally on CL for $20
It's a 26 inch JVC 2690 Network model. The guy used to work for JVC so he got this direct from them back in the day, only used it a bit for regular SDTV.
Came with the original box, manuals, flyers, remote, power cable, speaker flaps.

I have no idea how im going to interface my scart stuff, or pc with the 9 pin RGB though, if anyone has cables like this they would sell or I could commission someone to build, please let me know.
erxR2LTl.jpg

nsBlUwvl.jpg

AAA3GAMl.jpg

8RZI6bhl.jpg

xKeHa28l.jpg

The pinout for the Dsub9/RGB Input according to the tv manual is
1-Ground
2- Ground
3- Red
4- Green
5- Blue
6- Intensity Signal Input (i)
7 - No Connection
8 - H.Sync
9 - V.Sync

They basically reference the port is for Video Games, IBM PC or PC Jr

Ideally I'd just like to be able to hook a pc up to it like, DVI>DVI to VGA Adapter> VGA to dsub 9 cable>TV and a soft 15khz program.
Perhaps I just need one of these http://www.cablestogo.com/product/02458#reviews
And for rgb scart it would have to be Male Scart to dsub9 I suppose.

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm pretty sure that 9-pin port is actually for digital RGB so it wouldn't work for anything that uses analog RGB.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I don't know about digital vs analog on that port... But the can tell you with pins for both H and V sync its going to be a pain in the ass to input anything with csync or cvideo (like SCART or JAMMA).

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm pretty sure that 9-pin port is actually for digital RGB so it wouldn't work for anything that uses analog RGB.

There's a way around that, there's an Extron device that can convert digital RGB to analog. I'll get the pic of the unit when I get home, I forgot the serial brand.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yeah it is a digital port, so im probably looking at a scaler etc, not sure it's even worth it. If I could just go DVI to dsub9 to hook a pc up to it then it would be worth it (forcing it at 15khz via software)

Ah well I'm kinda bummed out, I have a really nice trinitron 32 inch that only does 480i component, but all my consoles work great via a scart to component adapter, the only downside was i have to hook up my pc with svideo. I was hoping to use this to take care of everything but it looks like thats not going to be possible.

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Can you force 15khz over a DVI (digital)? I know the design of the ArcadeVGA card will only allow the VGA port to do 15khz, the DVI port is locked at 31khz.