CRT Fetish Thread

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Finally tweaked some stuff, still having issues with Bard's Tale...
Here's a favorite. King Graham never looked better :lolz:
y8umubed.jpg

bebu4e8a.jpg
u5apaveb.jpg

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I think RGB (and PVMs) are better for 16-bit systems, as they have more complex graphics, and much bigger sprites. The Turbographx-16, Genesis, Neo Geo and SNES are the best consoles for a PVM (as they are not newer systems like the PS2, which are better with component). 8-bit systems look good on it too, but I was never a huge fan of the 8-bit consoles, except maybe the NES, and the Game Gear.

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to the Neo Geo scene and a few people locally to me told me that I should get an old CRT. Any recommendations on a CRT that will bring out the best in my system? Right now I'm using a 46" LED and to be quite honest, it kinda looks like hell!!

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I'm fairly new to the Neo Geo scene and a few people locally to me told me that I should get an old CRT. Any recommendations on a CRT that will bring out the best in my system? Right now I'm using a 46" LED and to be quite honest, it kinda looks like hell!!

Can't go wrong with a Sony PVM. That's what the vast majority of CRTs in this thread are. Then grab a SCART cable for your AES and you're in bliss.

You'll need a cable like this: http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html for that setup.

Let the hunting begin for a Sony PVM begin. I just went to 6 local thrift stores in search of a pvm with no luck. Are these actually pretty hard to come by?

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Let the hunting begin for a Sony PVM begin. I just went to 6 local thrift stores in search of a pvm with no luck. Are these actually pretty hard to come by?

LOL - I could be wrong, but to my knowledge they were really only used "professionally" - TV/video production, medical/laboratory imaging. You didn't walk into Sears and buy one off the floor.

That said, they have been known to show up at thrift. :cool:

saverspvm.jpg

Last edited:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet

Well it depends. If your only looking at second hand stores good luck. To find mine I had been scouring craigslist for about 3 months in a 150 mile radius of where i lived. When I found mine, I had to drive 40miles north on 20 mins notice and boy was the wife pissed! I dropped $90 for my 20" HR Trinitron that was MFG in 2003. I did pay more then I wanted for it, but it also has some history as it came from Will Vinton Studios and has the assetses tag to prove it, and it boils down to I wanted one sooner then later :D

If I have the money and another PVM showed up, I would pick it up in a heart beat!

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I see them on Craigslist fairly often, but only in 14" or less. I would snap up a 20" in a heartbeat if I could.

The L5 series seem rare no matter what the size. My guess, they were launched during early/mid transitioning to flat panel, then discontinued.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I bought two 20L2's directly from a Post Production Company here in Vancouver. Check craigslist and eBay.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member

ifttt.com is great for this. I set up a rule to email me whenever craigslist gets a PVM. Here in Denver PVMs come up about once every two month or so.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I also bought one PVM off of ebay. After shipping and all that it wasn't that expensive.

It died about a month later. I've had 3 PVMs die on me. I think nowadays, finding a PVM with low hours and a later manufacture date is becoming key.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Awesome. Old school Sierra games are the best. What ones came out for the Tandy? up to KQ3 and SQ2 I presume?
Yea pretty much any EGA era game had support for the TGA. It's still CGA but has an option to display all 16 colors instead of 3. Things like Silpheed, Zeliard, and Sorcerian had these modes with also the Tandy 3-Voice sound also. It's only a step up from beeper sound but is still cool nonetheless. Also has a volume knob :lolz:
Bard's Tale has an issue and won't boot in TGA mode so that kinda sucks that I'm stuck with CGA :(.
When I get a ramcard for it I'm going to boot Prince of Persia on it and see how it does. Cards for this Tandy 1000 HX are kinda rare and all types of silly priced too.

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Sonic CD on the 14L5 (Genesis Version 1 - Sega CD Model 2 - 32x RGBs - Mega Everdrive "Sega-CD Model 1 BIOS V1.10 (U).bin" - Nikon Coolpix 16mp). :glee::glee:

Very large original size linked
sonic_cd-large.png

Sexy Sonic pixelz!
sonic_cd-small.png

:-J

phonedork

n00b

Its funny you say that. Actually the smaller sensor cameras with basically the softer lens get better pics then my pro Nikon D800. The problem is moire patterns caused by the scan lines. Shoot manual with a F-stop of about 16 or higher. Long exposures and with a very soft lens. A aperture of 16 will cause diffraction which cause a decrease in sharpness. However it is better the moire patterns.

landsharkzero

New Challenger
I found a BVM1911 on a Craigslist. The seller said he will go down to $220. Any idea if that's a good deal and a good display? He says no burn in.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I recently added another 2950 (on the right) to the game area.

It cost me $20.

The Sony stand I have never seen before and the belt securement rig that threads through the structure is pretty unique also.
Possibly used in conference rooms back in the day?

P8nz4AY.jpg

fqPRfgN.jpg

9Tr0I4H.jpg

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
That's a really cool stand. Nice to see I'm not the only one having to toddler lock my games up. ;)

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
That's a really cool stand. Nice to see I'm not the only one having to toddler lock my games up. ;)

Haha yeah, those crafty kids are always looking to put toys into the cartridge slots :)