CRT Fetish Thread

Medaka350

n00b
Is there a good and affordable PVM in a 20"~ size ? Seeing you guys with your PVM's is making me pretty jealous. I've got a nice 27" Sony T.V.. screen but gosh, that RGB output is making m

Theres a $80 PVM 20m2mdu on craigslist listed in LA right now.
(probably could talk him down)

Thats a great monitor.

XC-3730C

War Room Troll
What is the best quality PVM or BVM-D32E1WU in the 20"+ size?

I am probably gonna sell my 37" Mitsubishi XC-3730C

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Are the Sony 14" PVM's too small for desktop gaming? These are the only one's I can find locally as 20+ are next to impossible to find.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Are the Sony 14" PVM's too small for desktop gaming? These are the only one's I can find locally as 20+ are next to impossible to find.

I wouldn't want to crowd two people (or more) around it, but single player with my cart pulled up close... I have no complaints about it being too small.
That said, if I ever find a 20" L5 I'm buying!

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet

If you could pick up a pair that would be best. Have one be the master and accept the rgb input then use a set of cables from the master to the slave, then you could each have your own screen

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Cool, thanks guys

And if I'm buying my first one anything in particular that I should test out? Do they have built in test screens for cross hatch and R G B bars etc?

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Exactly why I was asking :)

Yeah...no way I'm paying anything close to that for a 14". It would be a nice addition but I'm more than happy playing my consoles on my Astro City through my Scart to Jamma adapter :)

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Mine has the built in R G B bars and for the life of me I cant figure out how to turn them off! Will need to go back and read the manual again. For anyone that hasnt, you should really read the manual for these things! Mine has full wiring schematics and all that fun jazz.

woollysock

n00b
Hey guys, just received RGB scart cables from ebay but when i went to plug everything into my pvm i got some pretty bad picture issues. Im hoping you guys will know what im doing wrong so il attach some pics of the set-up as of right now.
photo 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG
From what iv found online it seems it could be a sync issue? Oh and that snes has been modded for RGB.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Check the settings on the PVM.

Make sure it's set to RGB rather than component.

Otherwise my guess is a grounding fault in the cable. Open the scart connectors for both cables and snap us a couple photos.

woollysock

n00b
Yah I already tried pretty much every combination of settings on the pvm but with no luck. Here's a couple pics of those connectors, let me know if you need better pics.
photo 5.JPGphoto 4 (2).JPGphoto 1 (2).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPG

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Looks to me like you bought a Euro Scart SNES cable and a JP21 wired Scart to BNC cable.

You probably should have bought a Euro Scart wired BNC cable.

Link to each ebay listing?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
You have it set to Component B. Push the RGB A button. You also need to make sure that you are using the correct scart cable for it. I had that same exact PVM before giving it to my friend and I used Composite Sync not Composite Video. Make sure your Mini is wired for Composite Sync and that your RGB cable is wired for sync over Pin 3 on the SNES side.

Last edited:

woollysock

n00b
You have it set to Component B. Push the RGB A button. You also need to make sure that you are using the correct scart cable for it. I had that same exact PVM before giving it to my friend and I used Composite Sync not Composite Video. Make sure your Mini is wired for Composite Sync and that your RGB cable is wired for sync over Pin 3 on the SNES side.

Tried the RGB A button but having the same issue, and snes i purchased was titled "Super Nintendo SNES 2 Mini JR SNS-101 with RGB + Purple LED + Composite Sync Mod" so im assuming its wired for composite sync? Not sure about the wiring as im clueless when it comes to cables and the like.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Tried the RGB A button but having the same issue, and snes i purchased was titled "Super Nintendo SNES 2 Mini JR SNS-101 with RGB + Purple LED + Composite Sync Mod" so im assuming its wired for composite sync? Not sure about the wiring as im clueless when it comes to cables and the like.

The auctions say you bought the RGB 21 cables however that SNES cable looks like its wired for Euro Scart and not RGB 21. Its possible the seller mislabeled it. The capacitors are the RGB lines on the SNES cable and they appear to be connected where they would in a European scart cable.

Medaka350

n00b
Hey guys, just received RGB scart cables from ebay but when i went to plug everything into my pvm i got some pretty bad picture issues. Im hoping you guys will know what im doing wrong so il attach some pics of the set-up as of right now.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Looks like you have a normal North American SNES Jr. So you need Euro Scart cables.
Those cables you have are for a Super Famicom/Japanese Scart.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The auctions say you bought the RGB 21 cables however that SNES cable looks like its wired for Euro Scart and not RGB 21. Its possible the seller mislabeled it. The capacitors are the RGB lines on the SNES cable and they appear to be connected where they would in a European scart cable.

Bingo.

Bought both JP21 cables, seller for the SNES scart cable sent you a Euro scart cable.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Looks like you have a normal North American SNES Jr. So you need Euro Scart cables.
Those cables you have are for a Super Famicom/Japanese Scart.

It does not matter if you use Euro Scart or RGB 21 with the SNES or Super Famicom. What does matter is that if you choose to use RGB 21 is that your BNC adapter and or scart switch also be wired for RGB 21. The adapter has to be the same as the cables you use.

XC-3730C

War Room Troll
I just scored a PVM-2030 (traded a SNES, super gameboy, and a few loose games for it) today, but was wondering if anyone knows where to get a 25 pin female to VGA cable/adapter for it. My 4 - way SCART switcher has VGA on the end of it. I don't really have time to make my own (or steady hands since I have nerve damage).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Cause the 2030 doesn't use BNC connectors for RGB. Instead it uses 25 pin dsub labeled CMPTR.

@XC-3730C - You are probably going to need to build your own cable as I haven't seen anyone offer anything like that prebuilt.