CRT Fetish Thread

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
I have a 20" PVM, and I'm looking for a small set of good quality speakers to use with it. I don't need speakers that are really loud or a subwoofer. I just want something that puts out good quality sound and has a headphone jack.

I bought Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers, and they were awful. Any recommendations would be great.

been really happy with these bose speakers http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HZDF8W...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9gc4mecyqh_b

I have these hooked to my 20" pvm as well they have very good sound and bass without a subwoofer and have 2 sets of stereo input jacks watch the little 6 sec video in the link gives you a 360 view.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
Yeah my Sega Saturn is a U.S. Model 1 with an Action Replay. However, once I get more confident in my soldering skills and understanding of just how to wire it up, i'll install a U.S. / JP switch so I can use the genuine Metal Slug RAM cartridge as my research indicates that the Sega Saturn port of Metal Slug is one of the best and some lag is introduced with the Action Replay which isn't there with the true RAM cartridge.

I do intend to pick up a PVM but right now my priority is just enjoying the games I have and getting the hardware first. I'm registered here since i've expressed interest between owning an AES or an MVS. I think the AES looks absolutely gorgeous but the MVS is much cheaper to collect for -- but is a much higher cost of entry which is currently prohibitive with my budget. So instead i'm just slowly bolstering the game count on my other systems.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
you can always send your Saturn to here:

http://www.segastyle.com/store/

I've had a smooth transaction with him, no complaints.

Yeah my Sega Saturn is a U.S. Model 1 with an Action Replay. However, once I get more confident in my soldering skills and understanding of just how to wire it up, i'll install a U.S. / JP switch so I can use the genuine Metal Slug RAM cartridge as my research indicates that the Sega Saturn port of Metal Slug is one of the best and some lag is introduced with the Action Replay which isn't there with the true RAM cartridge.

I do intend to pick up a PVM but right now my priority is just enjoying the games I have and getting the hardware first. I'm registered here since i've expressed interest between owning an AES or an MVS. I think the AES looks absolutely gorgeous but the MVS is much cheaper to collect for -- but is a much higher cost of entry which is currently prohibitive with my budget. So instead i'm just slowly bolstering the game count on my other systems.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Here I go again! Picked up a version 1 Saturn on Thursday, using these images...

14j4506.png
vga_pinout.jpg

I made this simple (I think I'm getting better at this) mod...

20131122_172018-1.jpg

In conjunction with my existing VGA-2-BNC cable...

cables-to-go-02571.jpg

Resulting in 240p 15khz joy!

20131122_172045_9-1.jpg

It still looks much better in real life, and I don't have any games to display (mod chip ordered).

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Nice, the saturn looks awesome in RGB. Always satisfying to make your own cables :)

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Another day, another Sega console hacked up for PVM! This time a Dreamcast...

cJ30h.jpg
vga_pinout.jpg

This was my most complex mod to date, for starters it required cutting away part of the plastic shell and internal RF shield. I also had some options to consider...
Did I want 15khz, 31khz, or the option for both by using a switch?

After some reading, it became pretty clear that native game support for 15khz wasn't as prevalent. Owning the L5 series PVM (multisync) I decided to just target 31khz.
Why not use a VGA box? Have you seen the prices on these fu*king things lately! Also this is only intended to run on a PVM, nothing more nothing less...
So yeah, I soldered H-Sync and V-Sync together for true C-Sync at the motherboard level.

20131124_175353-1.jpg

In conjunction with my existing VGA-2-BNC cable...

cables-to-go-02571.jpg

Resulting in 480p 31khz joy!

20131124_175554_4-1.jpg

I didn't have any games to display at the time of snapping the above image, so I downloaded a (massive) torrent with every *.CCD/*.CDI (USA/JAP/EUR) game released for the system.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Bridging H and V sync isn't technically the right way to get csync, but some PVM's don't mind.

Almost everything on the DC plays in 15khz RGB, and there's just a handfull that don't support 31khz VGA (namely bangai-o). If I were you I'd hard ground the RGB pin, and put a switch on the VGA pin to ground. That way you could get 15 or 31khz through the same cable. Also you should have 220uf caps, negative toward display, on R G and B. Again, PVM's don't really mind, but for nominal signal levels it's recommended.

I have one DC with a homemade RGB cable for 15khz, and a VGA box just in case (though I rarely use it).

2050-Z

New Challenger
Alright, who's going to pick this up? Rolling PVM retrogaming battlestation:

A2eB6uQ.jpg

S13QW4j.jpg

c1xxOjx.jpg

http://www.pemed.com/carts/carts.htm

6035 E. 38th Avenue, Denver, Colorado 80207 USA (303) 393-7800 FAX (303) 393-1482

List: $4,200. MedCon: VG. Stryker Smart cart, model 240-86. 115 V, 60 Hz.

Features:

Sony Trinitron 19 inch color video monitor, model PVM-1943MD on rotating monitor stand with wrap-around restraint
2 locking Plexiglas front windows
3 stationary and one pull-out shelves each with back cord wrap
internal vertical cord guides
2 AC power bars
chart holder on side
side door for equipment access
bottom storage drawer
side transport handles
cord hangar in back
front locking casters
13 foot heavy duty power cord with hospital grade plug
smartcart04_99.jpg smartcart06_101.jpg smartcart07_102.jpg
Overall dimensions of the unit:

width: 34.5 in.
depth: 31.5
height: 53 plus 18 for monitor
Shipping weight is about 300 pounds. 3 similar units in stock.

GinForBreakfast

Quiz Detective
I'd love to put one of those in my living room. It's even got wheels should anyone complain about placement. =)

Alright, who's going to pick this up? Rolling PVM retrogaming battlestation:

I signed up here about a month ago to post the PVM pickup I made back in October. Went to a Medical Supply "graveyard"/warehouse and they had quite a few of those stands/PVMs. Now that you posted that it would look kind of cool for a pseudo-arcade stand lol.

Picked up a 20L5M and a 1953MD for 70 a piece. Ill dig out the pics i took of the warehouse, it was surreal as hell, it was so creepy and i just wandered around for about an hour looking at all the crazy old hostpital equipment.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Saturn mod chip came in the mail yesterday, so I thought it might be nice to put up a few shots running on the PVM...

20131127_162522_11-1.jpg

20131127_221815_3-1.jpg

20131128_222827_13-1.jpg

20131128_222654_14-1.jpg

20131128_222520_15-1.jpg

Last edited:

ninoh

n00b
I just recently found a PVM 20N6U. I know 2D games look great on a PVM. I was wondering if you guys play full 3D games on a PVM, such as PS1,PS2,psp, sega Saturn, Dreamcast? I know I need to buy rgb scart cable to get the best video quality, that is on my list to buy. Is there a secret tv menu for the PVM, like the sony WEGA? I'm not a big fan of seeing scan lines on gaming tv, it distracts me a bit. I was also wondering if my PVM TV does 240p or 480p? I wondering if any of you play ps2 3d games on a pvm in full RGB, do you see any scan lines or are they de-interlanced? thank you all if you could answer any of these questions.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I just recently found a PVM 20N6U. I know 2D games look great on a PVM. I was wondering if you guys play full 3D games on a PVM, such as PS1,PS2,psp, sega Saturn, Dreamcast? I know I need to buy rgb scart cable to get the best video quality, that is on my list to buy. Is there a secret tv menu for the PVM, like the sony WEGA? I'm not a big fan of seeing scan lines on gaming tv, it distracts me a bit. I was also wondering if my PVM TV does 240p or 480p? I wondering if any of you play ps2 3d games on a pvm in full RGB, do you see any scan lines or are they de-interlanced? thank you all if you could answer any of these questions.

Hello noob. Please send kidpanda a pulstar cart for initiation rights.

To answer your questions, some PVM's have hidden menus and some do not. I'd speculate that yours does, but I don't know how to get to it on that model. You're always going to have scanlines on a standard def PVM (95% of them). It will support 240p and/or 480i, but not 480P (except baller models like the 20L5 that support hidef signals).

PS1, PS2, saturn, and dreamcast will work fine with scart cables and a scart to BNC breakout. You will need to set the PS2 to RGB in the system menu. I think PSP is only 480p component, so both of those things are bad news for your PVM. Some newer ones support component video, but again, most only at 240p/480i, not 480p.

Embrace the scanlines. Love the scanlines. Do it. It's for your own good.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
ninoh: Yea man I don't understand the dislike for scanlines... You know this is the CRT fetish thread right? To me the point of 240p IS scanlines!

As for consoles, I personally feel the cut-off is PS1/Saturn/N64 for 240p. Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox I feel is best in 480p.

I don't know about that version of PVM, I think every model made will do 15khz, but higher modes? You should really check for a manual online.

ninoh

n00b
ninoh: Yea man I don't understand the dislike for scanlines... You know this is the CRT fetish thread right? To me the point of 240p IS scanlines!

As for consoles, I personally feel the cut-off is PS1/Saturn/N64 for 240p. Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox I feel is best in 480p./QUOTE]

I know classic from 8 to 32 bit games were set to 240p, but don't like games in 480i. I prefer games in progressive scan instead of interlaced. Once I buy a scart to BNC connector then I will enjoy full glory video game quality. I'm okay with pvm 2d games with scan lines but not really to 3d games.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Just locate a HD CRT like a Toshiba or Sony from 2003. They convert 480i into 480p which is excellent for getting rid of that interlacing shakeyness and makes the picture look sharper. Unfortunately HD CRTs also convert 240p into 480p which is still better than an HD LCD, but you lose the scanlines though. I play a lot of my Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and Xbox original games on my Toshiba 36" HD CRT and it looks great. There are a few N64, PS1 and Saturn games that are completely in 480i. These are mostly 3D fighters that are done in 60 frames per second and the hi-res mode games for the N64 using the jumper pack upgrade. For 240p games I use my Sony 27" SD for classic gaming and am keeping an eye out for a PVM if I come across one.

ninoh

n00b
The only reason I'm getting myself into PVM well bascially I found one on the sidewalk and almost walked away. I'm thought it was a microwave. I'm only going to keep for a few years. I've heard PVM are worth money, my guess would be in the range of $40 to $70. Not for sale at the moment. I know I can force ps2 games at 480p with a special app. I've always wanted to hit RGB mode on PS2 and hitting sync on green. I've always wanted to buy vga for dreamcast, but the price varies on the web.

ninoh

n00b
The only reason I'm getting myself into PVM well bascially I found one on the sidewalk and almost walked away. I'm thought it was a microwave. I'm only going to keep for a few years. I've heard PVM are worth money, my guess would be in the range of $40 to $70. Not for sale at the moment. I know I can force ps2 games at 480p with a special app. I've always wanted to hit RGB mode on PS2 and hitting sync on green. I've always wanted to buy vga for dreamcast, but the price varies on the web.
Sorry I wish I can edit my messages, doing this from mobile phone. The only reason why I'm getting myself into PVM... well basically I found one on the sidewalk and almost walked away. I thought it was a microwave at first. I'm only going to keep it for a few years. I've heard PVM are worth money, my guess would be in the range of $40 to $70. Not for sale at the moment. I know I can force ps2 games at 480p with a special app. I've always wanted to hit RGB mode on PS2 and hitting sync on green. I've always wanted to buy vga for dreamcast, but the price varies on the web.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
I wish here in Germany we would have such nice sidewalk finds. Until this day I only found a SNES. My PVM was 75 Euros and it needs to be fixed on (not much I hope).

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I've always wanted to buy vga for dreamcast, but the price varies on the web.
If you want a VGA Box for your DC, I highly recommend one made by Beharius ;) The Kuro might be your thing, no scanline generator...

I wish here in Germany we would have such nice sidewalk finds. Until this day I only found a SNES.
I found an NES in the rain once... cleaned it up, let it dry, works like a charm and looks good to this day... why complain? You even got a SNES for free man.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
PS2 only outputs Sync On Green in 480P mode (progressive mode) which only a few games support. Otherwise sync is still separate.

For PVM purposes you can get sync from compositve video just like scart TV's do. A lot of PVM's (I've owned several models and this was true for all) will accept composite video to EXT SYNC without a sync cleaner needed.