CRT Fetish Thread

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Dang Mike, glad you survived Skate's basement of horrors. :P Skate is an awesome dude, and I too was in awe of his setup. I really need to take the cab plunge one of these days. That projector makes me want to get one just to play games outside on my garage during the summer. :)

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Dang Mike, glad you survived Skate's basement of horrors. :P Skate is an awesome dude, and I too was in awe of his setup. I really need to take the cab plunge one of these days. That projector makes me want to get one just to play games outside on my garage during the summer. :)

It's one of those stairwells you start wondering if there are cages below as you start walking down :p

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Mike - Glad to see you got them home safely! Looks like it was a blast of a trip!

On a side note, I am contemplating on putting my 32" WEGA on its side for shmups goodness. Yes or no?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Mike - Glad to see you got them home safely! Looks like it was a blast of a trip!

On a side note, I am contemplating on putting my 32" WEGA on its side for shmups goodness. Yes or no?

Aside from NANAO's (cab monitors) I've had bad luck tating anything over 20 or 27 inches. Nonetheless it won't hurt to try... the worst problem(s) I had were just discoloring, even with letting it sit / degaussing, I could never get it right. Worst case, put it back yoko.

Technical stuff aside I kind of don't like much over 25" for vert shmups. Too much real estate for my eyes to cover, at least if I'm sitting close. Sometimes I underscan my net city about an inch all around because of this.

SELLING: NEC XP29 Plus in Los Angles/San Diego, proper shipping an option as well. (XP not XM, P is better)

You’ve probably heard of the NEC XM29 Plus and it being arguably the best retro CRT you can get. These are XP29 plus, same but better, more rare, more signal range, so they can do 1024x768 @ 120hz instead of just 1024x768 @ 82.6hz you’d get from XM29 Plus.

They are all essentially the same monitors from the NEC line with this important difference:
XM29: 15.5-50.5KHz (needs remote)
XM29 Plus: 15.75KHz and 31-65KHz
XM29 Xtra: 15.75KHz and 31-70KHz
XP29 Plus: 15.75KHz and 31-95KHz (can do 1152 x870)
XP29 Xtra: 15.75KHz and 31-100KHz (can do 1152 x870)

Here’s a primer if you’re not familiar with this NEC line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88phA7lAejE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucm7k64llO0

-=What’s Happening, How?!=-
-=THIS FRIDAY, JUNE 2nd=-

I will be picking up a bulk auction I won in Hollywood area from a major production rental company doing an large liquidation round on their older stock. I believe there are eight XP29 Plus CRTs in the lot, though some might be XM29 Plus or even XP29 Xtra. I plan to keep 1 for myself.

I'm not sure on the condition but this company's previous auction had all good condition monitors which all have been stored well and come their road cases; these being no different. I’ll get pictures and videos with test patterns and game play and do a thorough evaluation and calibration, for now this what I have:
https://goo.gl/photos/Z32J1pVnHy9ysXZPA

I’ve tried by best figure out what a fair market price is. This is an extremely rare monitor, the XM29 and XM29 Plus are the closest you’ll be able to find. I can’t find any accounts of an XP29 Plus or XP29 Xtra being sold.

This regular XM29 was priced at around 820 US dollars and sold right away in January 2017, poster said “... priced based on the last few I've seen sell on here.”
http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81509&title=nec-xm29-29-crt-monitor
But I've heard of them being worth a lot more. This post someone saved from 16 months ago saw an XM29 plus (65KHz limit) sell for $1,125:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=738782402949524&set=p.738782402949524&type=3

Asking around $850-950 each depending on condition.

With these you can get flicker-free edtv and dosbox gaming, get full lag compensation on a groovyMAME setup on games that go over 60Hz. Can run VGA up to the max you can get out of a CRT EmuDriver, and actually get the full 120Hz on 1024x768. Handles 240P up to 1280x1024 and everything in between.

I would love to sell Friday in LA and let you have first pick. (maybe saturday as well if I get enough requests) before moving them to store. I will have them in a UHual for Most of Friday in LA and likely travel down to San Deigo that night, I could even possibly deliver if you aren't too far out of the way.

If interested please Reply here and PM me with whatever details you can provide: date, time location, want road case or not.

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
Lol savage ^^^^^^

I finally picked up 2 monitors from skate323k137 over the weekend. He is an awesome guy and was even nice enough to hang on to them until I was able to make the road trip out there. I have a new respect for efficient use of space. Cabs, a monitor, and a projector all in his gaming area. Pretty damn sick set up. He also had a great suggestion to go back home through the UP region of Michigan. It was a beautiful and relaxing drive that was only a couple hours longer than the way we came. My girlfriend absolutely loved the scenery. We are already planning on going back soon! Can't thank you enough skate :)

View attachment 45024

PVM-1341:

NEC CM:

Travel pics:

Nice grabs. Have that same 13" in my garage, its a great little pvm. Love it for its size.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

I say YES!
I rotated my 27" WEGA to play some xbox360 shmups and it was glorious. I should probably post pics of that.

J-P

NEST Puppet
Some nice ones in here :-)

My PGM2950QM (31KHz) 27"
pgm2950.jpg

and now with Tate:
_5174550.jpg

Spoiler:

20151110-_B104400.jpg
Will try to get some better scanline action shots. Shit camera doesn't help.

I gotta fix those speakers though, get buzz at low frequencies.

Loving that NEC. Those things are great lookin'

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
SELLING: NEC XP29 Plus in Los Angles/San Diego, proper shipping an option as well. (XP not XM, P is better)

You’ve probably heard of the NEC XM29 Plus and it being arguably the best retro CRT you can get. These are XP29 plus, same but better, more rare, more signal range, so they can do 1024x768 @ 120hz instead of just 1024x768 @ 82.6hz you’d get from XM29 Plus.

They are all essentially the same monitors from the NEC line with this important difference:

I will be picking up a bulk auction I won in Hollywood area from a major production rental company doing an large liquidation round on their older stock. I believe there are eight XP29 Plus CRTs in the lot, though some might be XM29 Plus or even XP29 Xtra. I plan to keep 1 for myself.

I'm not sure on the condition but this company's previous auction had all good condition monitors which all have been stored well and come their road cases; these being no different. I’ll get pictures and videos with test patterns and game play and do a thorough evaluation and calibration, for now this what I have:

I’ve tried by best figure out what a fair market price is. This is an extremely rare monitor, the XM29 and XM29 Plus are the closest you’ll be able to find. I can’t find any accounts of an XP29 Plus or XP29 Xtra being sold.

This regular XM29 was priced at around 820 US dollars and sold right away in January 2017, poster said “... priced based on the last few I've seen sell on here.”
http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81509&title=nec-xm29-29-crt-monitor
But I've heard of them being worth a lot more. This post someone saved from 16 months ago saw an XM29 plus (65KHz limit) sell for $1,125:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=738782402949524&set=p.738782402949524&type=3

With these you can get flicker-free edtv and dosbox gaming, get full lag compensation on a groovyMAME setup on games that go over 60Hz. Can run VGA up to the max you can get out of a CRT EmuDriver, and actually get the full 120Hz on 1024x768. Handles 240P up to 1280x1024 and everything in between.

I would love to sell Friday in LA and let you have first pick. (maybe saturday as well if I get enough requests) before moving them to store. I will have them in a UHual for Most of Friday in LA and likely travel down to San Deigo that night, I could even possibly deliver if you aren't too far out of the way.

If interested please Reply here and PM me with whatever details you can provide: date, time location, want road case or not.

Lol quoting a sale that went to Spain. Oh man better get on that deal fast its such a deal guyz especially when you don't know the condition. Nice first post man.

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member

You致e probably heard of the NEC XM29 Plus and it being arguably the best retro CRT you can get. These are XP29 plus, same but better, more rare, more signal range, so they can do 1024x768 @ 120hz instead of just 1024x768 @ 82.6hz you壇 get from XM29 Plus.

Here痴 a primer if you? e not familiar with this NEC line:

-=What痴 Happening, How?!=-

I'm not sure on the condition but this company's previous auction had all good condition monitors which all have been stored well and come their road cases; these being no different. I値l get pictures and videos with test patterns and game play and do a thorough evaluation and calibration, for now this what I have:

I致e tried by best figure out what a fair market price is. This is an extremely rare monitor, the XM29 and XM29 Plus are the closest you値l be able to find. I can稚 find any accounts of an XP29 Plus or XP29 Xtra being sold.

This regular XM29 was priced at around 820 US dollars and sold right away in January 2017, poster said ?.. priced based on the last few I've seen sell on here.

This guy needs a dedicated FS thread . . . in the War Room. EVLNEOGEO needs a buddy :keke: ***correction: He and his thread are now free. Now we need a replacement :p

Some nice ones in here :-)

My PGM2950QM (31KHz) 27"

Spoiler:

View attachment 45047
Will try to get some better scanline action shots. Shit camera doesn't help.

I gotta fix those speakers though, get buzz at low frequencies.

Loving that NEC. Those things are great lookin'

Some more large monitor love :) Looks great. Love the Akuma pic!

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

I am replying.. with interest...

Mainly in wondering what the fuck you're doing posting a sales post in this thread...

DUMBASS!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I'm so pumped! We moved into a new place and I will have a new game room :buttrock: Just moved all my gaming stuff and the rest should be there this coming weekend. I'm going to try to have all 7 of my monitors hooked up in there. It's going to take me awhile to get enough stands and console storage, but here is the mess currently.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I'm so pumped! We moved into a new place and I will have a new game room :buttrock: Just moved all my gaming stuff and the rest should be there this coming weekend. I'm going to try to have all 7 of my monitors hooked up in there. It's going to take me awhile to get enough stands and console storage, but here is the mess currently.

I can tell the excitement by the ... anticipation.

I can see your anticipation for the new room...

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Congrats Mike! That sounds like a fun project ahead!

Thanks! It will be fun and challenging. I originally was going to have the wood floor room where everything currently is, but the other room has better space for all the monitors. My girlfriend prefers the wood floor for her craft room. She said it will be easier to pick up anything she drops. I'm taking the room she was originally going to have her stuff in. It has some awesome bin storage in the closet that will be perfect for cables, controllers, and accessories. My cabinet will also fit in there much nicer. After some negotiations she was willing to give up the bins for the wood floor :p Kinda sucks that the only thing I already had stored away were my controllers (pic below), but the new storage will be much nicer.

20170604_102511.jpg

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Update: All my gaming stuff is moved over and I have all my monitors but my XP29 and Capcom Impress cab. Everything should be there on Saturday :buttrock:

20170607_220249_zps4noy0jwz.jpg

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Looking good! All kinds of space for setups!

Thanks man :) I'm going to have to get pretty inventive. I forgot that I have to not only fit my XP29 and Impress in there, but I also have a Sony Wega KD-34XBR960 (with the Sony stand) as well. There's a spot on the opposite side that should work out. I have a couple ideas for some monitor stacking too. I might have to invest in some IKEA BESTA stands for the larger monitors. There doesn't seem to be much else that will support that kind of weight. Hopefully I will have my games at least a little sorted out tonight and can start making room for when the big ones arrive.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I might have to invest in some IKEA BESTA stands for the larger monitors.
How would you set one of these up on the Besta? I checked that out at Ikea the other day and it's 15.75" deep...which isn't deep enough for my 20" PVM's (they would have to hang off either the front or back a bit - and have some more room for the wires to clear in the back as well).

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
How would you set one of these up on the Besta? I checked that out at Ikea the other day and it's 15.75" deep...which isn't deep enough for my 20" PVM's (they would have to hang off either the front or back a bit - and have some more room for the wires to clear in the back as well).

The actual feet of the XP are 14.94", so there would be a little overhang with most being on the backside. I was also thinking about possibly doing one stand in front of the other. The XP is 20.4" deep including the back end that extends past the feet. The total depth of the 2 stands would be 31.5". That would give me a few inches in the front and some room in the back for cables and a SCART splitter. I'd then do the same stands on each side, but only one deep (pulled a little further away from the wall). I'd use them for my smaller monitors and I already have a stand for my BVM-20F1U and my BVM-14F5E. Not sure how it would work out. Not sure which way I'd want to go yet. Unfortunately the nearest IKEA to me is 3.5 hours away. Maybe when I can actually look I might find some other options or decide on one of these. I have a possible stand for one of the NECs that would be nice, so I just need to square away the XP (heaviest one). I know I could snag some super cheap old school wood furniture on CL, but I want a cleaner look. Let me know if you have any good suggestions :)

Edit: I thought I remember seeing a link somewhere for the stand phonedork uses for his XM29. Does anyone have any info on that? I'm pretty sure they probably don't even make the damn thing anymore, but I'd be interested in seeing if the specs are still out there. It would be good to see what they say the weight threshold is.

Last edited:

NoAffinity

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Do cab CRT's qualify in the fetish category, cuz I feel like my compulsion with my cabs' CRT's is bordering on fetishness.

Donkey Kong cab - CRT that came in it was a bit washed out, bought a replacement that came up on craigslist locally. Sent off the chassis that came in the cab to be recapped (before I was doing this for myself). Swapped the original monitor and re-capped chassis back in, still wasn't satisfied. Eventually realized it was a DK jr. monitor assembly, and both monitor assemblies I now had for the cab had more burn than I could tolerate. Tracked down an original DK monitor assembly with minimal burn (I mean unnoticeable unless the bezel is off and the monitor is in direct light). Swapped it in. Pulled the chassis and recapped it. Bought a test pattern generator, and messed with convergence until it got really good. Spent significant time color and white balancing. Now, I'm happy with it.

Capcom Big Blue - Flyback fried and did some extensive damage to the chassis. Bought and installed a replacement chassis. Sent off the original chassis, since the damage was deeper than I was troubleshooting at the time. Got it back, it was never "quite right" after getting fried and repaired. Monitor also had some minor "Insert Coin" burn, and a 3/4" scratch in the middle of it. Picked up an identical replacement (WG 25K7193) off of craigslist, with no burn. Recapped that chassis and replaced the flyback. Swapped it into the cab and discovered it had some heavy geometry issues, and the colors were still washed out after re-cap and flyback. Pulled it back out. Started from square 1 per the K7000 manual with converging, placing convergence strips, etc. Rejuved it. Put it back in. Spent significant time white and color balancing. Now it looks great!

MAME cab - originally a Wei-Yah 826HR or somesuch chassis, which was in desperate need of a re-cap. No info online about this chassis, tho. Did some measuring on the yoke, and determined that a K7000 should work on the monitor. Also, the cab had a standard 10-pin signal connector which mates up with a K7000, but was jimmy-rigged on the Wei-Yah. Recapped the first replacement K7000 that I got for Big Blue. Swapped it into the MAME cab. Spent significant time white and color balancing. Now it looks great!

Aero City - colors looked decent when I got it, but there was a curl at the top that was getting worse with time. Re-capped the chassis, had a wrong cap in the kit for one of the caps, which prevented it from powering (see thread on that subject around here somewhere). After weeks of posting across multiple forums, the culprit cap was finally identified and the original put back in. Curl is gone. Spent a little time white and color balancing, image looks pretty good, need to spend some more time dialing it in to perfection. A bit of off-convergence at the corners, the convergence strips probably just need a bit of tweaking.

Jaleco Lo Pro - original tube had a ton of burn. Swapped in the tube that came out of the Big Blue (with the light burn and scratch). Capped the original chassis. Rejuved the tube. Spent significant time white and color balancing. It looks great. Wasn't tolerable in my Big Blue, but is a massive improvement over the burned trash that came in this cab.

TL;DR version - I am extremely OCD when it comes to video image on my cabs. :crying:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Let me know if you have any good suggestions :)

I REALLY want to do floating shelves (as I like modern like that), but those are a no-no for a shelf which is something like 20+" deep unless I literally want to strip my wall down to studs to build a sub-frame for something which can hold like 100-200 pounds and be that deep. I'm still trying to figure this out myself (my current re-purposed heavy-duty metal desk is posted a couple pages back which works for now as a stop-gap measure for now).