CRT Fetish Thread

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Would you guys consider the XGRB Frame Meister Upscaler a good alternative to using a good CRT for AES?

The Frameister is an excellent choice for those without an RGB monitor. I got one on my panny plasma and the picture quality is on par with any of the crt rgb monitors. I have only tried 4 neo games so far. It actually works great for pretty much any of the 2d consoles. I think it still has that problem where it switches from 240p to 480i. But none of the neo games have that so, no problems there.
With that being said, I actually prefer to play on my XP37. The screen is large enough where I can play from a good distance away and it gives me all the benefits of a crt. But if my crts were to ever die off, the first thing I would be looking at is getting an xrgb pro scaling device.

It took me months of very constant searching before I found my rgb monitors. And both the NEC and the BVM were out of state. For me it was worth it because I am a picture quality whore when it comes to games. But if you are not like me then itç—´ better to go the consumer tv route with component inputs and just use a component to rgb transcoder.
Because if you are not in a state where these monitors are readily available then be prepared. Youæ±♥e choices are spending lots of money on eaby and pray to god that it ships without any issue. Your other choice is to be on a constant lookout for them. You will need to be always checking out craigslist, or public surplus auctions, or old production studios.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Im assuming you would connect an aes/mvs through scart, but when i look at the back of these things none of the inputs look familiar. Please excuse my noobness when it comes to PVMs.
Just in case you haven't found the answer yet: Those inputs on the back are BNC connectors, you'll need an adapter for those. There are some sources on ebay, retrogamingcables.co.uk or you could make one yourself. It's just different connectors, no rocket science involved...

And I'll echo what a lot of peeps said already: Get a consumer grade Trinitron that is in good shape if you can't find a decently priced PVM in a nice condition. I had a couple before I picked up the 14" PVM I use now, there's definitely a difference, but the consumer line was very good already. Just be sure to get a model that can do 60Hz (with a 100hz one most lightguns won't work and honestly, it looks like shit to me) and I'd suggest a 4:3 instead of a 16:9 (because otherwise you end up with black stripes at the sides in many games). Do some research, there's a lot of info on the net on this topic.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
The Neo looks great on the XRGB Mini.

The Frameister is an excellent choice for those without an RGB monitor. I got one on my panny plasma and the picture quality is on par with any of the crt rgb monitors. I have only tried 4 neo games so far. It actually works great for pretty much any of the 2d consoles. I think it still has that problem where it switches from 240p to 480i. But none of the neo games have that so, no problems there.
With that being said, I actually prefer to play on my XP37. The screen is large enough where I can play from a good distance away and it gives me all the benefits of a crt. But if my crts were to ever die off, the first thing I would be looking at is getting an xrgb pro scaling device.

It took me months of very constant searching before I found my rgb monitors. And both the NEC and the BVM were out of state. For me it was worth it because I am a picture quality whore when it comes to games. But if you are not like me then itç—´ better to go the consumer tv route with component inputs and just use a component to rgb transcoder.
Because if you are not in a state where these monitors are readily available then be prepared. Youæ±♥e choices are spending lots of money on eaby and pray to god that it ships without any issue. Your other choice is to be on a constant lookout for them. You will need to be always checking out craigslist, or public surplus auctions, or old production studios.

Thanks for the response! Will definitely consider it for my next purchase. Cheers!

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I'd suggest a 4:3 instead of a 16:9 (because otherwise you end up with black stripes at the sides in many games). Do some research, there's a lot of info on the net on this topic.

It's also worth noting that most CRT HDTVs will in addition to being 16:9 upscale your image to 480 or 1080 even if the original source is 240. This leads to it's own set of visual anomalies.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, get a HD CRT if HD content is more important, get a SD if SD is more important. IMO, the 360 and PS3 look great on a SDTV, but the low res stuff do not look great on a HDTV. They look better on a HD CRT than a LCD, but not as good as a SD set.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
So I'm having trouble getting an MV1C to sync using a Mak Strike with SCART -> BNC to my 14M2U. I've poked around in the menus to see if I can mess with the sync settings but I can't seem to find anything. Am I missing something? Thanks.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Check the shmups forum. Guy in San Jose is giving away like three 8" pvms. All supposedly in great condition

What weird timing. I just got back from picking those up:

YCujQ8Al.jpg

Sorry Xian Xi, I've already promised two of them to some friends.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
EDIT: I'm retarded. I had external sync on the whole time, I just didn't have both RGB and component selected. Not sure why you have to press both but it works now.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I do.

How? I can't find anything in the menu that mentions sync at all.

Generally EXT SYNC is a button on the front of the monitor; sometimes it's in the menu, depends on the model.

Worst case man just take pictures of everything and how it's hooked up. Easier to help that way.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
What weird timing. I just got back from picking those up:

YCujQ8Al.jpg

Sorry Xian Xi, I've already promised two of them to some friends.

Do you use anything to get DOJ like that? Like an extron or anything? When I plug DOJ into my L5, my JVC or my BVM20D1FU I get a fucking curl at the top of the screen. I have no idea how to adjust the H hold on any of them. If I run it through an extron 203 it fixes it for some reason.

Ay2waj9l.jpg

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Do you use anything to get DOJ like that? Like an extron or anything? When I plug DOJ into my L5, my JVC or my BVM20D1FU I get a fucking curl at the top of the screen. I have no idea how to adjust the H hold on any of them. If I run it through an extron 203 it fixes it for some reason.

I get that curl on all white screens, like the AMI and Cave logo screens. But on other screens it goes away. I've not looked much into it yet.

I am running the sync through a JROK encoder, basically treating it as an expensive sync cleaner (as I'm still using RGB on the PVM).

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object

Ay2waj9l.jpg

Woah, so the curl at the top of the screen is correctable with some sort of sync cleaner? I've got a PVM20M2U and the image looks like its rotated counterclockwise a few degrees. No amount of editing in the advanced menu changes anything. I may have to look into sync cleaners...

Does anybody else get a high pitched whine on their PVMs? It's noticeably loud and it bothers me when I have the volume low or the game paused, hopefully it is fixable!

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I'm running that through a sync cleaner (LM1881), so that doesn't fix it. It happens on a few arcade games, my BVM is less prone to it, my JVC and PVML5 get it a lot. My sunset riders board and DDP2 on PGM do the curl. If I run the RGBS through my extron 203, the extron seems to fix it if I put serration on.

I don't get any high pitched whines.

I'd really like to know how to adjust the H Hold on the monitors as I'm certain that's what causes the curl.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Woah, so the curl at the top of the screen is correctable with some sort of sync cleaner? I've got a PVM20M2U and the image looks like its rotated counterclockwise a few degrees. No amount of editing in the advanced menu changes anything. I may have to look into sync cleaners...

Does anybody else get a high pitched whine on their PVMs? It's noticeably loud and it bothers me when I have the volume low or the game paused, hopefully it is fixable!
I have that same monitor. You'll have to open it up to adjust the rotation, there's nothing in the service menu to correct it. I just deal with it as I don't feel like opening mine up.

As far as the whine, all crts emit a really high pitched sound when on, some people can hear it and others can't. I can always tell when a crt is on even if there's nothing on the screen.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I have that same monitor. You'll have to open it up to adjust the rotation, there's nothing in the service menu to correct it. I just deal with it as I don't feel like opening mine up.

As far as the whine, all crts emit a really high pitched sound when on, some people can hear it and others can't. I can always tell when a crt is on even if there's nothing on the screen.

I know this sounds obvious but I've seen lines, discoloration, etc on my PVMs, been worried then remembered "I should try the degauss button" and sure enough that resolved the problems every time in my case. Did you try to degauss?

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
I know this sounds obvious but I've seen lines, discoloration, etc on my PVMs, been worried then remembered "I should try the degauss button" and sure enough that resolved the problems every time in my case. Did you try to degauss?

I don't know about GohanX, but the degauss button didn't fix my rotation issue.

And the high pitched whine isn't the barely audible type I've always been familiar with, it's pretty pronounced. Oh well, it just comes with the territory I guess!

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I don't know about GohanX, but the degauss button didn't fix my rotation issue.

And the high pitched whine isn't the barely audible type I've always been familiar with, it's pretty pronounced. Oh well, it just comes with the territory I guess!

I can still hear the high frequency whining noise on certain electronics too, so you're not alone.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object

Would you happen to know what pot on the side to screw with to change this? I'm trying to plan all of my moves ahead before I open it up so I don't kill myself. I'm also hoping there's some sort of "sharpness" setting on the inside as well, but it's still looking pretty good as it is....

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nah, I don't know exactly. There's a thread with manuals around here somewhere, it may be in there.