CRT Fetish Thread

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I had a question, maybe you guys would know. In my living room I have 2 TVs. The Sony Trinitron CRT and then the Westinghouse HD LCD. Apparently both remotes use the same frequency to send commands to their respective TVs. This isn't typically a problem when I use the HD because I turn off the power strip to the CRT when I am not using it. However if I am using the CRT and turn it on or off with the remote, sometimes the HD TV will turn on too.

Is it a known thing to be able to change one of the remote/tv so this doesn't happen?

An odd thing is that not everything works. The power button works for both. The HD remote can't do anything else to the CRT but the CRT remote can do channel input on the HD.

Yaargh

n00b
The Duo? I'm not sure how Doujindance modded the system for RGB. I believe he does have a YouTube channel with videos uploaded explaining/showing his mod work. I do know that when I plug in my RGB BNC cables to the back of the monitor there's an input for external sync.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Does anybody have any clue where to find a PVM or similar on Oahu? I keep talking to shops/people who say they have what I want but when I get there it's just a plain old CRT....

That'll probably be pretty tricky. Keep in mind what they were used for... think hospitals, video production...

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Nope. Just plugged it into the Saturn, then into my SCART switch, then onto the PVM. The Saturn, hands down, has the best RGB I've ever seen. My Genesis also has nice RGB, Sega knew what they were doing.

EDIT: this is a model 1 Saturn. I understand model 2s don't have quite as nice of a picture, but is still very good.

I got this cable in the mail today. A slight audio buzz but no major problems with it. It's set up for an NTSC Saturn using Euro SCART.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Is a sony triniton a decent TV for the neo geo? Im referring to the later silver models, probably 32 or 36 inches. Im looking for a good crt for my AEs and other system and these seem to be common and look decent.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Later sd trinitrons are the next best thing to pvms.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Those later consumer sony models are gonna be your best bet until you decide to go the whole rgb route. Not only are you going to have no problem finding them for very cheap on craigslist, but the picture is good quality. There was a thread someone on the shmups forum made about one of those monitors.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Those later consumer sony models are gonna be your best bet until you decide to go the whole rgb route. Not only are you going to have no problem finding them for very cheap on craigslist, but the picture is good quality. There was a thread someone on the shmups forum made about one of those monitors.

It depends on what you're looking for in terms of inputs. I have a couple CRT trinitrons (one is a CRT HDTV) and they're nice. But I have a Samsung that's a little better than the Trinitron SD unit.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Ya in terms of a cost benefit thing, it seems the route to go. i can get a 32 inch triniton for free to $40 at most, plus some beers to whoever helps me move it. A PVM with RGB just seems too expensive at the moment, i dont even know where to look for them. Shipping from Europe seems like it would be crazy expensive. I also want something with a shitload of inputs, a least two 2 s videos and two component input..plus a whack of composite inputs.

Out of curiousity and for future reference can somebody point me to a good place to PVMs and Tvs with RGB that can be shipped to North America or that are already in NA.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Out of curiousity and for future reference can somebody point me to a good place to PVMs and Tvs with RGB that can be shipped to North America or that are already in NA.

Not really a lot of options besides ebay. If you're in a bigger area PVMs do pop up on Craigslist here and there, just gotta be aggressive in tracking them down and look for larger ones as most of them seem to be less than 14 inches or so.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My advice on shipping crts: Don't. Buy locally, be willing to drive and be patient. It took me a year to find my pvm, totally worth it.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Buying a old tv from ebay doesnt look feasible, the shipping would cost as much if not more than the unit. Theres a few PVMs located a few hours from me but none a more than 9 inches. Whats a good size in terms of bang for the buck should i go for when it comes to a PVM?

Im assuming you would connect an aes/mvs through scart, but when i look at the back of these things none of the inputs look familiar. Please excuse my noobness when it comes to PVMs.

For now a trinitron or possibly panasonic seems like a good stop gap measure..hard to compete with free.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
14" PVM is usually fine for single player, 20" is great for 1p and big enough for 2p.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Buying a old tv from ebay doesnt look feasible, the shipping would cost as much if not more than the unit. Theres a few PVMs located a few hours from me but none a more than 9 inches. Whats a good size in terms of bang for the buck should i go for when it comes to a PVM?

Im assuming you would connect an aes/mvs through scart, but when i look at the back of these things none of the inputs look familiar. Please excuse my noobness when it comes to PVMs.

For now a trinitron or possibly panasonic seems like a good stop gap measure..hard to compete with free.

It depends on how much you can get them for. Just for comparisons sake I have four PVMs.

I have a 20 inch I paid 100.00 for locally

A 20 inch that arrived DOA I paid about 20.00 for plus 40.00 shipping (no point in shipping it back, gave it to a friend who repairs monitors)

A 19 inch I paid 50 for locally

A 14 inch I got on ebay (about 70.00 shipped)

And a 32 inch PVM I got for $1.99 (yes two dollars) at a local thrift.

So the prices entirely depend on who is trying to get rid of them

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It depends on how much you can get them for. Just for comparisons sake I have four PVMs.

I have a 20 inch I paid 100.00 for locally

A 20 inch that arrived DOA I paid about 20.00 for plus 40.00 shipping (no point in shipping it back, gave it to a friend who repairs monitors)

A 19 inch I paid 50 for locally

A 14 inch I got on ebay (about 70.00 shipped)

And a 32 inch PVM I got for $1.99 (yes two dollars) at a local thrift.

So the prices entirely depend on who is trying to get rid of them

Seem at least 20 would be what i would want, ideally 25-32 inches but that may be a tall order.

Wow 2 dollars, thats quite a find. As uncommon as it may be i can see that happening, theres an assumption that old electronics are worthless. Maybe the guy was moving and didnt want the hassle of throwing it away so he just dropped it at the local thrift stores. I dont know about your area but around here it can be a pain getting rid of old tvs and electronics, the dump around here charges an eco disposal fee or some such shit. Hence all the free ones.

Is a PVM a pretty good jump in quality? I wouldnt want to go through all the trouble if its like a slight difference, im not a massive videophile.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
So I have a nice 20 inch pvm, but the difficulty of obtaining another monitor when it eventually dies is gonna be a pain in the ass and possibly expensive. So I've been trying to come up with another alternative, has anyone that has a PVM tried a rgb scart cable to component? How does it compare? I can get a convertor for about 40 bucks and I have an SD Trinitron that has component. Debating if this would be a good route, I'm kinda spoiled now that I've been using a pvm.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Seem at least 20 would be what i would want, ideally 25-32 inches but that may be a tall order.

The 25-32 inch Sony PVMs are very hard to find. I've seen the one I own and one 25 inch for sale in the past year and a half or so locally.

Wow 2 dollars, thats quite a find. As uncommon as it may be i can see that happening, theres an assumption that old electronics are worthless. Maybe the guy was moving and didnt want the hassle of throwing it away so he just dropped it at the local thrift stores. I dont know about your area but around here it can be a pain getting rid of old tvs and electronics, the dump around here charges an eco disposal fee or some such shit. Hence all the free ones.

Yeah, the local goodwills quit taking CRTs maybe two months after I picked up the PVM 3230. It's over 200 lbs which explains why this person didn't bother trying to sell it or anything, way too heavy.

Is a PVM a pretty good jump in quality? I wouldnt want to go through all the trouble if its like a slight difference, im not a massive videophile.

It depends on the model/age of the PVM, the number of hours on the tube. I have four Sony's, also an Ikegami professional monitor and an NEC XM29 (and a Panasonic professional monitor that does not have RGB). A good PVM looks a lot sharper and better than most CRT TVs. With that said, I have a 2005 Samsung SD/EDTV flat screen CRT that takes component and looks damn sharp doing so, I wouldn't say it's quite on par with the XM29 or the two smallest PVMs I have both of which were manufactured post 2000. But for a consumer TV it's damn good, if you're doing what Voult did and modding a consumer TV for RGB you might be able to get results comparable to a PVM from a late CRT SD or EDTV.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

I've you're not a videophile and size is an issue don't get a PVM, get a commonly available big consumer set from Craigslist. PVMs are for those people that are so absolutely obsessed with perfect image quality that they don't mind huddling around a tiny screen because it is the best possible quality ever. A late 90's/Early 2000's SDTV with component inputs and an inexpensive RGB to Component transcoder still looks mighty fine.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
I've you're not a videophile and size is an issue don't get a PVM, get a commonly available big consumer set from Craigslist. PVMs are for those people that are so absolutely obsessed with perfect image quality that they don't mind huddling around a tiny screen because it is the best possible quality ever. A late 90's/Early 2000's SDTV with component inputs and an inexpensive RGB to Component transcoder still looks mighty fine.

I'll second this. Don't bother. It's not that great. You'd be just as fine off using s-video on a 2005 Trinitron or something. Or even component if your consoles are modded.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Would you guys consider the XGRB Frame Meister Upscaler a good alternative to using a good CRT for AES?