CRT Fetish Thread

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Got a question gents, saw a PVM 1943md for 70 bucks. Don't have a PVM currently, is this a decent one? Does the price seem reasonable?

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Reasonable condition, minor dings. Nothing major from what I can tell from pictures.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Reasonable condition, minor dings. Nothing major from what I can tell from pictures.

Hmmm, since it's a 19 inch I'd say go for it. I'm not sure what they're worth though. I paid $65 for my 13 inch PVM cause that's all I could find...

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Stand corrected, it's 60 bucks.. like an hour drive away though..

If you don't see em pop up frequently I'd snag it.

Maybe try to get it for 50.

I never see 19/20's around where I live just the little ones except for one editing house that charges 400/500 each. :(

Nyd

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone from the non-US and non-UK countries get their PVMs/BVMs sent from the US or UK? Do they find it costs a lot to send?

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Don't know if it'd fit your setup size wise, but I've seen this one recommended before:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BKXWEW8/

No personal experience with it however.

That one is way too big to sit on top of a 9" BVM. I am still looking around but might just buy a pair of cheap small cube shapped speakers and place these on the monitor - ones like or similar to these:

canyon-cnf.jpg

A lot of these smaller sound bars are for bluetooth connectivity with cellphones and have AFAIK just a mono spekaer. That Music Angel bar was pretty good size wise but not being able to control the volume for a source connected via the 3.5mm jack is just retarded. Also, the fit and finish was pathetic - on a brand new unit paint was already coming off and the 3.5mm socket required one to hold and depress the jack in the right position for it to make proper contact.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
Does anyone from the non-US and non-UK countries get their PVMs/BVMs sent from the US or UK? Do they find it costs a lot to send?

I bought my two PVMs locally so I can't say but I think it's a big risk it will get damaged during shipping.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I bought my two PVMs locally so I can't say but I think it's a big risk it will get damaged during shipping.
I've sent several PVM monitors (smaller 13" ones) through the mail and they all arrived fine, but I padded the hell out of the box. I sent one 19" one through the mail and it got destroyed even though I padded the box the same way. I'd say it's a risk, but if they pad the box ok it should be fine. Shipping on something this heavy is expensive though.

dinomite

n00b
Just got my Sony PVM-20M2U this evening when I came home from work. I couldn't get any locally so I decided to try my luck on getting one sent over form the US, this is my first btw. I just wanted to thank everyone who keeps posting in this thread, I've learnt so much from your stories and insights, so I thought I'd share my experience.

I bought one that was in pretty rough shape cosmetically wise and I knew that, but the picture quality looked good so I decided to take a chance on it anyway. Shipping from the US cost me $100 to send here, which probably isn't too bad considering these weigh 30Kg, as long as it arrives safely and within a reasonable time. Mine took 2 weeks.

Before opening I saw that the box it got sent it was virtually falling apart at the seams but it was still intact none the less. Upon opening the box, like expected the PVM was layered in thick bubble wrap. Once I took it off and got the monitor out I noticed that the front control panel with all the controls had been damaged during shipping and the power button itself had infact fallen out. All the other controls were fine but the two ends had been chipped off. At this point I feared the worst. The panel itself was in great condition, and the dent at the back of the monitor, which I already knew about before purchase, hadn't gotten any worse.

After fiddling with the front of the monitor I wasn't able to reconnect the power button. So what I did was stick the plastic mechanism that keeps the monitor powered on down to the board on the inside. It just means now I have to turn the monitor on and off at the power switch which isn't much of a hassle.

I got the monitor powered on and I hooked up my SNES to RGB via the BNC Cables and I'm blown away by the results! The picture is just spectacular and is better in person than I ever thought it would be. Like has been said a million time in this thread you just can't beat the RGB picture in person.

Like I, said the damage to the monitor is purely cosmetic and I can live with that. The screen itself is perfect. Now I'm just going to wait for one to pop up locally for a reasonable price, but I'm in no rush. Overall I'm still really glad I bought this monitor and I just thank my lucky stars it's at least working.

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1843.jpg
    IMG_1843.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1861.jpg
    IMG_1861.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 197

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Just got my Sony PVM-20M2U this evening when I came home from work. I couldn't get any locally so I decided to try my luck on getting one sent over form the US, this is my first btw. I just wanted to thank everyone who keeps posting in this thread, I've learnt so much from your stories and insights, so I thought I'd share my experience.(...)

Sorry to hear about the damage to your PVM in transit - perhaps you could raise the issue with the courier / delivery company to see if you are entitlled to some sort of compensation. Main thing is that despite that inconvienience you got everything set up and are happy with the overall result. Are Scart RGB TV's available in Australia? I know there are plenty of those in the UK and given the reasonably close links with the UK this could be an inexpensive and pretty good and no hassle way of getting RGB.
As for shipping these monitors - ultimately in the wrong hands these are fragile items and there is some risk involved. So far my experiences have been positive. I got a 14" BVM from Germany - this came in a cardboard box affixed to a wooden pallet and was transported around on a trolley so it arrived in good shape. The 9" BVM model I got was sourced domestically and arrived in a cardboard box filled with some buble foil but it weighs less than 10kg so its hardly representative.
At one point I would love a large screen PVM / BVM but since I can't really source these locally and international shipping is a considerable expense and risk I am sticking to RGB Scart TV's instead.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I ordered my PVM around 2:00 AM on Saturday. Now it's Wednesday and I still have no confirmation that it's even started shipping... :scratch: I was hoping I'd get it by Friday like it's supposed to, but I doubt it at this point. I'll give the store the benefit of the doubt and wait a couple more days since most seem to ship within 3-4 business days of receiving payment. I just hope it comes.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Give them time... if they're packing it properly it'll be double boxed and such, which does take a bit. Good luck.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Give them time... if they're packing it properly it'll be double boxed and such, which does take a bit. Good luck.

Yeah, I looked at another product and said they usually ship it within 1 day, but in some circumstances it may take up to 5 days. If that's the case, then I'm glad I bought from them. They probably make sure it's properly packed to ship it, so that I'm happy about. I don't know why I'm so impatient and paranoid about packages nowadays... :oh_no:

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Sorry to hear about the damage to your PVM in transit - perhaps you could raise the issue with the courier / delivery company to see if you are entitlled to some sort of compensation. Main thing is that despite that inconvienience you got everything set up and are happy with the overall result. Are Scart RGB TV's available in Australia? I know there are plenty of those in the UK and given the reasonably close links with the UK this could be an inexpensive and pretty good and no hassle way of getting RGB.
As for shipping these monitors - ultimately in the wrong hands these are fragile items and there is some risk involved. So far my experiences have been positive. I got a 14" BVM from Germany - this came in a cardboard box affixed to a wooden pallet and was transported around on a trolley so it arrived in good shape. The 9" BVM model I got was sourced domestically and arrived in a cardboard box filled with some buble foil but it weighs less than 10kg so its hardly representative.
At one point I would love a large screen PVM / BVM but since I can't really source these locally and international shipping is a considerable expense and risk I am sticking to RGB Scart TV's instead.

From what I understand SCART equipped TV's though not quite as common in Australia as in Europe are still to be found.

I would be scouring for a SCART equipped telly before I had a PVM shipped in from abroad/

Nyd

Last edited:

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Thanks! I love how they look together. I've been trying to track down a little, red colored retro tv just for this purpose. Finally found one in good condition for a decent price.

No it doesn't have any real connection with the famicom. It's not even a Sharp model (It's by Zenith).... although I do have one of those super rare Sharp TV's with a built-in 8-bit Famicom coming in.They're much rarer than the Sharp NES TVs or the Sharp Super Famicom TVs. Should be here in the coming weeks.

jedman

n00b
How do you go about connecting speakers to a BVM? what kind of connections and cables do you need?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Some PVM\BVM have speaker outlets on the back that will power speakers. Others have nothing so you have to hook up to a amplified set of speakers, you can usually use computer speakers with a RCA or 3.5MM in.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

These are fine, but you need to figure a way of how you are going to connect them to your setup.
Probably the best way to go is to get a scart switchbox with seperate audio out via e.g. RCA sockets and then get a 2x RCA male plugs -> 3.5mm stereo socket adapter to connect the 3.5mm stereo jack from the speakers.
On the subject of a scart switchbox, if you don't want to get a scart to bnc breakout you can easily convert the switchbox so as to connect to the BVM via standard RCA cables (+ RCA-> BNC adapters) - check this out: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...RCA-gt-RGB-for-Sony-PVM-BVM-(pics)&highlight=