CRT Fetish Thread

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Size is up to you. 13-14 isnt so bad in my opinion if its 1-2 feet from your face. Any farther than that and its hard for me to see.
14 inch is definitely too small for a PVM or BVM. 19 or 20 inch is the minimum that people should get, IMO.

Does anyone know where to find information about the BVM-2016P?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Finally found a PVM for sale on the cheap...The only problem is that its 13-14" only. Is this too small? Should i just keep looking & not bother...

If you want to use it as you would use a proper monitor (i.e. up close to the screen) then is fine.
If you want to use it more like a TV sitting further away then 20" and above is preferred.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
Does anyone know if there's a way of finding the total hours it has done in the menu of a PVM-20M4E/U?

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
Thanks. I've browsed through it but couldn't find it. Will read it more thorough tomorrow. I've read that newer BVM/PVM models should have this feature, it didn't say how though. This model might not be considered as one of the later either.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
14 inch is definitely too small for a PVM or BVM. 19 or 20 inch is the minimum that people should get, IMO.
As Skips and MtothaJ have said, a 14" BVM or PVM is perfectly fine if you're using it for desk duty or the like. I'd like to have a bigger PVM but I can't fit anything bigger than 14" on my desk with how I have it laid out.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I use 14" PVM's for my computer systems and they work really really well. I replaced all my 1702's with PVMs.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
As Skips and MtothaJ have said, a 14" BVM or PVM is perfectly fine if you're using it for desk duty or the like. I'd like to have a bigger PVM but I can't fit anything bigger than 14" on my desk with how I have it laid out.

Same here.

14" PVM for the desk, and the 29 inch'r for the game room.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Does anyone know if there's a way of finding the total hours it has done in the menu of a PVM-20M4E/U?

Not that I am aware for that and similar models.
I can't really find definite information on which models had this feature, but my general reading / looking into this matter points that such a feature i) was pretty rare ii) more likely to be found on higher end BVM's iii) more likely to be found on the late model monitors i.e. the range of models available right before Sony shifted from using CRT to LCD in this line of monitors.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I own several PVM's from different series generations (early 90's through early/mid 2000's) and none of them have this information available in the menu's.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
looking into this matter points that such a feature i) was pretty rare ii) more likely to be found on higher end BVM's iii) more likely to be found on the late model monitors i.e. the range of models available right before Sony shifted from using CRT to LCD in this line of monitors.
OK that's what I thought also when no one here thought this particular model had this feature. Thank you.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Finally found a PVM for sale on the cheap...The only problem is that its 13-14" only. Is this too small? Should i just keep looking & not bother...

What model is it? And how much is it? My first PVM was/is a 14 inch model, and I love it. You just have to have it up on a desk or high table and as has been stated already, you have to sit closer to it. But they're nice because they're easier to move around, you have more options in terms of where you can set one up, and they have a very nice picture because a smaller screen means smaller pixels.

I got rid of my desktop computer in favor of a laptop, and used the reclaimed desk space to put my little PVM on my desk. Love it.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone here have a BVM-2016P? Are there other BVMs that are based on the same hardware, like the 2010P or 2011P? Seems impossible to find any information about it.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I've been looking at PVMs for a while, and it seems that the only ones that pop up on Craigslist around me are ones that are 13/14 inch. There are tons of 20 inch PVMs in southern California so I'm hoping I can get a family member or or friend to pick one up for me down there. Are there any things I should tell them to look for when picking em up so I don't end up with a dud?

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Disregard those other two posts. (Again, I apologize. Can't edit my posts...) I scooped it. $65 shipped was too good to pass up. I bit the bullet, and now I await my PVM.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Disregard those other two posts. (Again, I apologize. Can't edit my posts...) I scooped it. $65 shipped was too good to pass up. I bit the bullet, and now I await my PVM.

Welcome to the club. A 14" was my introduction to RGB gaming. Getting my hands on a 20" has been a life changer. :) There's no turning back now.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Welcome to the club. A 14" was my introduction to RGB gaming. Getting my hands on a 20" has been a life changer. :) There's no turning back now.

Hey thanks! Now I have to get all the hookups. I'll have to wait a bit for those, but when I do get the cash for them it'll be well worth it. :D So far I've heard that I should go with:
-A Female RGB SCART (JP-21) to BNC adapter cable with the built in sync cleaner circuit from Retro Gaming Cables
-A Bandridge SCART selector
-SCART (JP-21) game system cables from retro_console_accessories on eBay
-Adapters to get the audio out to some computer speakers for stereo

Are these right, or would you guys recommend any other methods?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Hey thanks! Now I have to get all the hookups. I'll have to wait a bit for those, but when I do get the cash for them it'll be well worth it. :D So far I've heard that I should go with:
-A Female RGB SCART (JP-21) to BNC adapter cable with the built in sync cleaner circuit from Retro Gaming Cables
-A Bandridge SCART selector
-SCART (JP-21) game system cables from retro_console_accessories on eBay
-Adapters to get the audio out to some computer speakers for stereo

Are these right, or would you guys recommend any other methods?

Go with euro scart cables all around, much easier to find than JP spec RGB21 cables. Plus I'd think the scart selector would be expecting euro wiring. usually JP21 only comes into play with XRGB units.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Go with euro scart cables all around, much easier to find than JP spec RGB21 cables. Plus I'd think the scart selector would be expecting euro wiring. usually JP21 only comes into play with XRGB units.

Oh okay, I was wondering about that. Thanks for the heads up there!