Crouching Pony Hidden Dragon

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
That actually looks really good :)

I must say yes, the game is looking better. But IMHO it looks boring gameplay.

Somehow is difficult for today developers to get the real NeoGeo feeling. That smell to retro game. NGDEVteam did a good approach with GunLord, but the ingame character lacks personality. Is like a feeling, hard to express.

Let this CTHD apart: it smells like advanced flash game. Well programmed, but flash. LeCortex are doing a great effort with all that hardware design and people working on this, but lacks the feeling.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
TotC could almost be forgiven if they hadn't tried to sell it as a long-lost proto. It's not as outright embarrassing as this pony shit.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My only real problem with CPHD is the choice of the main character and the title of the game. I wish it wasn't something so cheesy. It just doesn't feel like a Neo game. Best game I can compare it to is like a free roaming Ganryu on most parts but Ganryu is barely a Neo game.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Ganryu really isn't a bad game, it just came out in the wrong year on the wrong system. I'm not sure either what Visco was thinking, but grappling is fun and the bosses are pretty awesome. If it was a 1992 Genesis or SNES release, or on the Game Boy Advance, I think you'd see a lot more love for it. Much more than I can say for pony shit.

Has anyone else noticed that CPHD's coin sprites are shamelessly ripped from Guwange?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Just for your information, NCI marketed a game named 'Treasure of the Caribbean' in English, or トレジャー オブ カリビアン in Japanese.

1249-2.jpg

Apart for the Japanese title begin even a poor mis-transliteration from the English one, this is not even the title of the FACE lost game, which was titled "カルブの財宝" (Caribe no Zaihou, MEANING 'Treasure of the Carribean', but being JAPANESE for that, not any English transliteration - lol).

Anyone who has read the original source of this 'proto' story should know. Here are the FACTS:

Title: Caribe no Zaihou
Developer: FACE
Year: 1994?
Genre: action puzzle
Datas:
-Official preview on GAMEST issue #131 (November 1994)
-Official showcase @ Chiba AM Show 1994

That's it.

So I guess NCI just got its 'information' from Billy Pitt's page, which is also filled with a bit his own assumptions, that is:

http://www.neogeoprotos.com/games/caribbean.htm

lol, it looks like they got babelfish to translate their Japanese...as well as their English. Become the king of pirate!

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I'm willing to bet that NCI's Engrish was deliberately used for maximum "authenticity."

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Probably just laziness, since they missed the mark incredibly far from the original title.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Probably just laziness, since they missed the mark incredibly far from the original title.

Well even if ”カルブの財宝" was the original name, they still messed up "Treasure of the Caribbean" in the Japanese... it says "Treasure of Caribbean" in their Katakana....

Last edited:

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
Where do you draw the line or circle. What if they made a sequel called Crouching Pony Hidden Pecker where the goal of the game was to perform various sexual acts with ponies. Would you purchase it in AES format?

As I told that don't ask me for comment of this game because it's not intersted really .... I buy because it's AES released. I bought 2 versions of Ironclad for the same reason although I know it's not official released. I know the you are talking the worth of gameplay but I don't care ...

Fox1

20 Year Member
As I told that don't ask me for comment of this game because it's not intersted really .... I buy because it's AES released. I bought 2 versions of Ironclad for the same reason although I know it's not official released. I know the you are talking the worth of gameplay but I don't care ...

So if I put a pacman hack onto an AES cart would you buy it for $500?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Here's a unique homecart release, narrowly averted getting buried under the sands of time. XD

Bo-Neo-Geo_ashes-09.jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Here's a unique homecart release, narrowly averted getting buried under the sands of time. XD
Needs a snapcase and nice glossy insert so it can rot on a shelf - won't have any value without that essential feature...

For shits and giggles, same reason we read it.
k. But I don't see them posting that much (not even in their own threads), so I'll have to remain sceptical :spock:

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
My only real problem with CPHD is the choice of the main character and the title of the game. I wish it wasn't something so cheesy. It just doesn't feel like a Neo game. Best game I can compare it to is like a free roaming Ganryu on most parts but Ganryu is barely a Neo game.

Somehow is difficult for today developers to get the real NeoGeo feeling. That smell to retro game. NGDEVteam did a good approach with GunLord, but the ingame character lacks personality. Is like a feeling, hard to express.

Spot on, not just the game characters. This goes all the way back to animations, artwork of inserts/cart stickers, music, and the quirky sound and game play of SNK we're all accustomed to. So far, no one is able to bring in the true SNK flavor.

Nonetheless, I'm glad someone out there not only making new games, but being able to reproduce home carts without further saccing old carts and will support them in every possible way.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If people are just going to take anything and everything released on the neo, the next thing you know neo pong gets a homecart release. Of course for homecart prices. XD

Fox1

20 Year Member
If people are just going to take anything and everything released on the neo, the next thing you know neo pong gets a homecart release. Of course for homecart prices. XD

Weighin in at a whoping 5megs!

Slugger

Marked Wolf
I would rather put my money on neo pong. Seeing the pony games trailer I get the same feeling when watching the qualifying rounds of american idol. First you get curious, what is this? Then you realize the singer is dead serious and finally you just have to change the channel.

Last edited:

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
CPHD is trying so hard to become something unique, yet, it's falling short of being something memorable. The one character, which reminds me of a stripped down female gimp, is the only thing that's keeping my interest.

Seriously, where are the fucking beat 'em ups for the Neo Geo? Tell these independent companies to get rolling on something with 7-8 levels of awesomeness with a diverse roster of characters!

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Seriously, where are the fucking beat 'em ups for the Neo Geo? Tell these independent companies to get rolling on something with 7-8 levels of awesomeness with a diverse roster of characters!

Have you played all of the following games?

Ninja Masters
Breakers
Kizuna Encounters
World Heroes Perfect
Waku Waku 7
Galaxy Fight
Last Blade 1/2
Double Dragon
Kabuki Klash
Gowcaizer
Art of Fighting 3
Ragnagard
Rage of the Dragons
All Fatal Fury, KOF, and Samurai series.

When you do, you can come back and start asking for more fighters. If not, you should be looking for those games first.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Beat-em-ups ≠ fighters.

Beat-em-ups are Final Fight, fighters are Street Fighter.

It always seems to be Europeans that get confused about this, probably because of old gaming mags that called everything with fighting in it a beat-em-up, so it's weird to see it coming from an American.

Last edited:

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Beat-em-ups ≠ fighters.

Beat-em-ups are Final Fight, fighters are Street Fighter.

It always seems to be Europeans that get confused about this, probably because of old gaming mags that called everything with fighting in it a beat-em-up, so it's weird to see it coming from an American.

Thanks for the clarification, Boredom!

grimm

Marked Wolf
I actually like this game, or whats presented of it so far since i havent played it. Its like a Pocky and Rocky for the Neo Geo.