Crouching Pony Hidden Dragon

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
IMO using anything from the original game is using original code.

http://www.neogeoprotos.com/games/caribbean.htm . Problem is it looks like rather than using the original code itself, they just used pictures from a magazine and said "Well this is good enough! it sorta looks like it!" Take for example, if Samurai Shodown wasn't released on the neo-geo and there only a few pictures of it in magazines. It would be like looking at those pictures and ending up with something that looks and plays like games on a Tiger handheld.

That's exactly what I mean about Totc. If NONE of the original code was "salvageable" then how do you even know what game is on the roms? Was it just a black MVS cart that had a hand written label that said Treasure of the Caribbean? Without any salvageable code, there is no game.

So what's going to happen if the real proto ever surfaces and it's a totally different game? Will NCI/Le Cortex do the right thing and refund all the buyers?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
So what's going to happen if the real proto ever surfaces and it's a totally different game? Will NCI/Le Cortex do the right thing and refund all the buyers?

I'd say the chances of that are close to 0!

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
That's exactly my point. They tried to say that they found the lost proto when it wasn't. They created a game from hashing code together from other games and went off pictures from a magazine to recreate the pixel art for the "proto". Like I said before, there is nothing FACE about the game and should have removed it from the game and just put Le Cortex.

The probleme is here
you make an confusion with NCI the sociéty who sold the game and said they found an Proto
and Le Cortex the society who was recuit by NCI to make the game... but Le Cortex was clear with that, and in the begining they said they have no proto
http://neogeocdworld.info/html/homebrew/treasure.htm

Me: Au départ, qu’avez-vous pu récupérer du prototype de Treasure of the Caribean ?
Lecortex: Il faut savoir qu'on avait peu de données du jeu original. Nous disposions de quelques images et surtout d’aucun code source.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The probleme is here
you make an confusion with NCI the sociéty who sold the game and said they found an Proto
and Le Cortex the society who was recuit by NCI to make the game... but Le Cortex was clear with that, and in the begining they said it's not a proto
http://neogeocdworld.info/html/homebrew/treasure.htm

No, no no. They pushed it as a proto. Always did. Never once did NCI say that the game was made from scratch and there is no real cart. This is why the title screen says FACE very big.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
no
NCI but not Lecortex !

Le Cortex's name is still on the title screen meaning they wanted to be credited for their work. They knew from the beginning that they were making a game from scratch and there was never any original game code. But yet they still went on to make the game and deceive the customers buying it. If they had any dignity they would have pulled out and not made the game at all.

I want Le Cortex to come out and tell their side of the story with Totc. Everything.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Of course they have their name on this game, they do it
they have an contract with NCI, they should make an puzzle game with Toc name because NCI buy it (but we have no information on the contract between NCI and Face)

Fox1

20 Year Member
Like Xian said, they should have just called it a different name, make it nothing like the game (oh wait they already did), and not associate it at all with the proto. By calling it the same name, they wanted to make it look like a long lost proto had been rebuilt.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Of course they have their name on this game, they do it
they have an contract with NCI, they should make an puzzle game with Toc name because NCI buy it (but we have no information on the contract between NCI and Face)

NCI didn't buy anything with Totc, only B2B. So when Le Cortex was putting in the code for the FACE logo they never asked who they were? "Why is FACE getting credit for this game when we made it ourselves?".

Just like how NCI said they have WOTF, maybe Le Cortex backed out in time so they don't need to fake another proto for NCI.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
they could not do that, the game should have title "Treasure of the Caribbean ", NCI ask that to the contract, and they should use some element of the script's gameplay

Fox1

20 Year Member
they could not do that, the game should have title "Treasure of the Caribbean ", NCI ask that to the contract, and they should use some element of the script's gameplay

You know what this is really funny. This is kind of like the situation with Superman 64. There is a prototype of the game (before they changed it completely) out there and supposedly it's actually not a bad game. The final product as we all know is garbage. Same situation here heh.

So you're saying that if a game is completely different, but has the same theme of "pirates" and is a puzzle game it's fine to trick customers into thinking they are getting a product that might be a long lost game?

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
It also makes dumping the rom and spreading it easier.

I somehow* agree, but speaking about ROI, there is no "day after" for this projects, developers gather pre-orders, then release the game only once, so no big deal for them.
We can argue that someone could wait for the clone instead of preordering, but this is a market aimed to collectors, so there is an amount of them who would buy anyway.

Anyway, *embedding in the cart a digital certificate (signature) which could decrypt only a dedicated CDrom content, would prevent an easy dump operation.
As the idea is to make a writable cart, it has to be engineered anyway, on top of present day development kits (NG ; DEV or JMK ones) so adding a ROM with the certificate is an option.

My 2 cents, but I believe this could really be a great approach, especially to reduce dramatically the time to market.
I mean, producing i.e. 200 1:1 digitally signed CD-Roms is not the same as producing 200 identical CDs, but I bet it is way easier to assembly a cart!

I'm interested in some comment from NGDEV or JMK.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
... define the object of interest ... logically judging ... objective ... more circles, concentric ones ... ontological logic and heuristics ... researches ... facts as a basis ... assume nothing ...
Lot's of euphonic sentences and big words, but nothing more to your axioms, premisses and conclusions.

I'm interested in some comment from NGDEV or JMK.
You should try to contact them directly or post in the threads about their products then - I doubt (and hope) they're not reading the discussions here.

Last edited:

Fox1

20 Year Member
Lot's of euphonic sentences and big words, but nothing more to your axioms, premisses and conclusions.

You should try to contact them directly or post in the threads about their products then - I doubt (and hope) they're not reading the discussions here.

They have more important things to do, like put "rare proto" neo geo boxes into Japanese game stores for no reason.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
lol I just watched the demo

I really dont get the gimp mask poney halfbreed fascination

so fucking dumb

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
it's not true
They never said that, and they are the first to said they have no original code for this game

thanks again for the frog and stereotype

So, how long have you worked for Le Cortex?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I think kuk is in the demo for like a second, sans face of course, when they are showing off the custom test board

:loco:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member

Just for your information, NCI marketed a game named 'Treasure of the Caribbean' in English, or トレジャー オブ カリビアン in Japanese.

1249-2.jpg

Apart for the Japanese title begin even a poor mis-transliteration from the English one, this is not even the title of the FACE lost game, which was titled "カルブの財宝" (Caribe no Zaihou, MEANING 'Treasure of the Carribean', but being JAPANESE for that, not any English transliteration - lol).

Anyone who has read the original source of this 'proto' story should know. Here are the FACTS:

Title: Caribe no Zaihou
Developer: FACE
Year: 1994?
Genre: action puzzle
Datas:
-Official preview on GAMEST issue #131 (November 1994)
-Official showcase @ Chiba AM Show 1994

That's it.

So I guess NCI just got its 'information' from Billy Pitt's page, which is also filled with a bit his own assumptions, that is:

http://www.neogeoprotos.com/games/caribbean.htm

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Why would NGDev or Kurtz be reading this thread about the dumb ass donkey game?

For shits and giggles, same reason we read it.