Crossed Swords 2 AES/MVS and Rom Thread.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I can name one person on this forum that will make that MVS cart and sell it on eBay. Stefano. Yea I said it, I don't like others making profit on someone's work.

Yes his faggot ass would do it in a heartbeat....

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Great interest so far guys.

Using Ironclad sac carts would be a good way and that's being looked into. The kof97 boots look like an unexpected way to do it also and it comes with the bonus of having a shell though who knows about quality at this point or the types of ROM devices used. I really do not want to sac original games unless they have already been sacc'd for other purposes.

What I do know so far is the V ROM contains ADPCM-A and ADPCM-B and ironclad sacing does work. As to what other boards can be used I'm not 100% sure given I'm more on the software side than hardware side.

There are 2 ways to arrange the data as follows.

Code:
       C1 = 16meg
       C3 =  8meg - C1 & C3 can be placed into 1x32meg C1 for ease.
       C2 = 16meg 
       C4 =  8meg - C2 & C4 can be placed into 1x32meg C2 for ease.

V1 =  8meg - (crossed swords 1 V1 ROM)
       V2 =  8meg - V1 & V2 can be placed into 1x16meg V1 for ease.

P1 =  8meg
       P2 =  4meg - P1 & P2 can be placed into 1x16meg P1 for ease.

S1 =  1meg
       M1 =  1meg - (crossed swords 1 M1 ROM patched)
    -------------
    TOTAL = 78meg - or 98 meg using less ROMs as above.

So using the bare minimum which requires more chips can be done in 78megs. Using less chips means blank areas and a size of 98megs (this is the method used in the cart I have now).

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Great interest so far guys.

Using Ironclad sac carts would be a good way and that's being looked into. The kof97 boots look like an unexpected way to do it also and it comes with the bonus of having a shell though who knows about quality at this point or the types of ROM devices used. I really do not want to sac original games unless they have already been sacc'd for other purposes.

What I do know so far is the V ROM contains ADPCM-A and ADPCM-B and ironclad sacing does work. As to what other boards can be used I'm not 100% sure given I'm more on the software side than hardware side.

There are 2 ways to arrange the data as follows.

Code:
       C1 = 16meg
       C3 =  8meg - C1 & C3 can be placed into 1x32meg C1 for ease.
       C2 = 16meg 
       C4 =  8meg - C2 & C4 can be placed into 1x32meg C2 for ease.

V1 =  8meg - (crossed swords 1 V1 ROM)
       V2 =  8meg - V1 & V2 can be placed into 1x16meg V1 for ease.

P1 =  8meg
       P2 =  4meg - P1 & P2 can be placed into 1x16meg P1 for ease.

S1 =  1meg
       M1 =  1meg - (crossed swords 1 M1 ROM patched)
    -------------
    TOTAL = 78meg - or 98 meg using less ROMs as above.

So using the bare minimum which requires more chips can be done in 78megs. Using less chips means blank areas and a size of 98megs (this is the method used in the cart I have now).

I'm pretty familiar with the hardware side of things. Given the above, almost any PROG board that has a PCM chip can be used except for a few exceptions. As far as the CHA is concerned, any board that has a neo-273 on it will work.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Custom pcbs don't cost that much but yeah, getting it sub-$100 might be tricky.

Of course but people are going to want to be compensated for their time, same as all Neo game cart "projects".

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm absolutely clueless regarding the technical details, but do I do have got a Puzzle Bobble boot cart based off a Fatal Fury board lying around that I'm not using. As I said, I have no idea if that cart would meet the requirements you're looking for but IF it could be of any use, hit me up with a message and I'll send it over in a heartbeat.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
The other option I thought of was finding an existing pirate boot board and sac it. There a lot of turd KOF hacks out there, and it may be possible to sac and use it for this.

For example:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Coin...ers-97-Neo-Geo-MVS-Cartridge/32271090362.html

In bulk orders you're looking at ~$30 each shipped. Thats the PCB and what looks like a new case. Now, we dont know what the PCB looks like, but I'm sure we can make something like this work.

Is that site reliable? If so, I'd be happy to order one and send it to you to see if it works...

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I would participate as well in funding and make it happen, please count me in.

Now, I think that the boot route is the only way out to make a batch for ppl here, in any case in few months we will see a lot of AES/MVS conversions anyway, but the original batch won't have the original "sin...agree.

It would be cool working on some instruction/flyers set for the MVS kit...far from the CD ver. I got the original japanese flyer somewhere...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I would participate as well in funding and make it happen, please count me in.

Now, I think that the boot route is the only way out to make a batch for ppl here, in any case in few months we will see a lot of AES/MVS conversions anyway, but the original batch won't have the original "sin...agree.

It would be cool working on some instruction/flyers set for the MVS kit...far from the CD ver. I got the original japanese flyer somewhere...

I say... this is a viable option... I really hate to think of sac'cing carts... tbh... I'd rather pay a bit extra to avoid it...

Yeah... as with Ghostlop... it has been rebooted MANY times... that's why I cannot guarantee the game will hold value...

Massi_Balls made a good point... as long as we do things as right and ethically as possible... fook the other guys...

xROTx

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Saccing boots is fine with me, all I want to guarantee is is Raz gets PAID for his work, he fkn deserves it!

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Those are two of my favorite Neo games. If they got sacc'd, even for a reason as good as this, I'd die a little inside.

I don't care to get into some long winded debate about it, and I will only focus on MVS cartridges at this time, but most of the members around here need to collect more facts & become more informed before forming opinions on this subject. The Fatal Furies, World Heroes, Art of Fightings, Samurai Showdowns, & King of Fighters were so overproduced that it is nonsensical to make a moral dilemma out of it. Pick another battle.

I have literally lost count as to how many other operators I have met & liquidated their warehouses over the years who have told me about the hundreds of cartridges that they threw away in the trash. Truckloads of cabinets, boards, & carts that went straight to the dump over the last 30 years. I have seen mvs carts in warehouses being used as book ends, balances for storage racks, door wedges & door stops. The production runs on some of those best selling carts number in the 100,000 plus.

Everyone here is entitled to their own opinion, but for me personally, I don't care for some bootleg / pirate / fake / inferior quality cart, or some new wave overkill $300 surface mount flash rom garbage. I want an original cart shell, with real boards and eproms for my personal cartridge, and that's what it will be. If someone wants to make the first run some kind of "official" pre-order thing with new boards, new shells, serial numbers, etc. then no problem, I will buy it as well, but most people will not, and in the end, the pirates will be selling carts on ebay anyhow after the fact.

Not being a pessimist here, just a realist.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Raz, stop your search! Billy has decided what you should do. Can you make sure he gets a special "modified" ;) ;) version? I'll help you with that.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
The other option I thought of was finding an existing pirate boot board and sac it. There a lot of turd KOF hacks out there, and it may be possible to sac and use it for this.

For example:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Coin...ers-97-Neo-Geo-MVS-Cartridge/32271090362.html

In bulk orders you're looking at ~$30 each shipped. Thats the PCB and what looks like a new case. Now, we dont know what the PCB looks like, but I'm sure we can make something like this work.

So... since NTM has posted this link I have been in touch with the supplier and they have agreed that they are happy to sell just the cart shells and the PCBs inside separately. I have also requested photos of the boards so someone in the know can try and make an informed decision as to whether they would be suitable.

They are just confirming a price with me based on varying quantities and then I will update when I have it. What are the thoughts on initial production quantities..?

Oh and before I forget... well done again Raz for seeing this project through and releasing to the community. I just wish I could do more to help you get this off the ground. :)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
So... since NTM has posted this link I have been in touch with the supplier and they have agreed that they are happy to sell just the cart shells and the PCBs inside separately. I have also requested photos of the boards so someone in the know can try and make an informed decision as to whether they would be suitable.

They are just confirming a price with me based on varying quantities and then I will update when I have it. What are the thoughts on initial production quantities..?

Oh and before I forget... well done again Raz for seeing this project through and releasing to the community. I just wish I could do more to help you get this off the ground. :)

Yeah I contacted them last night. The problem is they want to put the game on it for us. Not sure thats the way to go.
RAg1Kgq.jpg

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Well I just got another reply and she is emailing me pics... amusingly though in this mail I got asked... "Are you Brian's friend..?" :lolz:

So I assume NTM, you have also asked...? :D

Ayway, Carrie there seems very helpful and I think this could definitely be a viable option if the PCB is suitable.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
OK, ninja'd with pics.. :lolz:

Well at least we have the answers from them, and great that we both had the same idea.

I'll tell her not to bother as you have them...

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah I contacted them last night. The problem is they want to put the game on it for us. Not sure thats the way to go.

I agree mate... I don't think anyone wants to release the ROMs until the pre-order for the first run is put up, paid for and then sent out. After which, sadly we know what will happen.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't care to get into some long winded debate about it, and I will only focus on MVS cartridges at this time, but most of the members around here need to collect more facts & become more informed before forming opinions on this subject. The Fatal Furies, World Heroes, Art of Fightings, Samurai Showdowns, & King of Fighters were so overproduced that it is nonsensical to make a moral dilemma out of it. Pick another battle.

Just like there are plenty of cheap Fatal Fury 3 and Samurai Shodown 3 home carts to use for conversions!

That worked out great.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Just like there are plenty of cheap Fatal Fury 3 and Samurai Shodown 3 home carts to use for conversions!

That worked out great.

Again, I was only talking about MVS in my post.
But if $100 for a home FF3 or SS3 isn't cheap enough for you, then your in the wrong hobby.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
A word of warning lads...

I don't want to detract TOO much from the thread... derailing it will be considered bad form...

I don't usually throw my weight into a thread... so I'd appreciate some restraint....

xROTx

PS. I'm only posting this because I know how some of you folks feel about Chad Otaku there... and this could potentially turn f'ugly real quick:p

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Okay Rot, I'll play nice, but only because you're my homie :D

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Those pcbs look kinda suspect. The two pairs of diodes makes me think this is all LV stuff on that board. The Chinese are known for doing shit as cheap as possible, not properly. If the stuff doesn't have 5V tolerant I/O these things could have a fairly short lifespan.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I don't suppose anyone here has considered contacting SNKp an seeing if they'd let us license a legit small production run? Shawn?

@Billy - Come at me, bro.