Crossed Swords 2 AES/MVS and Rom Thread.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Damn, this is such a killer project. The video looks wonderful - your hard work is appreciated here.

Todd

Galford's Armourer
this is the one game I always wished was on MVS/AES. Now hopefully I will be able to get ahold of this on MVS!

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Just curious when you say it uses music from Crossed Swords, did Crossed Swords 2 not have its own soundtrack and just recycled music from the original game?

I've never played Crossed Swords 2 on CD or emulation so I have no point of reference.

That being said I hope this makes its way to an MVS release so I can play it on my Omega.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Music in the CD version is CD audio.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just curious when you say it uses music from Crossed Swords, did Crossed Swords 2 not have its own soundtrack and just recycled music from the original game?

I've never played Crossed Swords 2 on CD or emulation so I have no point of reference.

That being said I hope this makes its way to an MVS release so I can play it on my Omega.

CS2 has it's own CD soundtrack but converting that to cart format is very difficult so to makes things easier Raz is using the already formatted music from the first CS.

I would love to play this on MVS.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Looks good so far raz,keep it up i know i really like to be able to play crossed swords II on my cmvs.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Kind of a bummer that the music from CS1 has to be reused, but the technical limitations are totally understandable.

Awesome work Raz! Looking forward to playing this in whatever method you choose to release it.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I can only echo what everyone else has said: Great stuff going on in here. The fixes alone are outstanding.

It would be absolute killer if someone made a (new) soundtrack for this project... I'm wondering who could be asked...

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I'm also wondering if it would be possible to convert a CD audio soundtrack to sth. usable on cart? Some kind of compression method? Sorry if that is a silly question but I'm a true noob when it comes to such stuff.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Also...perhaps it's a silly question, but: is there anyway to get something like an ips patch for the original NGCD release that has the fixes and whatnot?

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Also...perhaps it's a silly question, but: is there anyway to get something like an ips patch for the original NGCD release that has the fixes and whatnot?

it's possible because the french who do the translation of Samurai Spirit do something like that

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Awesome!! Really impressive job! Though I am not a fan of CS this job surely deserves appreciation!!
I wish some day we all could see a Samurai Spirits RPG turned into AES as well... oh well that's an imposible dream maybe... :'(

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
This is pretty amazing to see, however, I think it would be much better if you used the original music from the cd version of the game. If you see the way it is done with all the NG Dev Team games, I think it would be possible. RAZION, Gunlord, Pink Bullets etc REALLY benefit from actual stereo cd soundtracks, and the MVS/AES can handle this pretty well these days, plus I think everyone would like it better this way. The music from the first game was fantastic, but, the music from CS2 was infinitely better IMO. Please try to retain the original music if possible. I would love to get an AES and MVS release of this project, but, I would pay more for a real 1:1 release as SNK would do it, with Engrish in tact with actual cd music. This is just my opinion though. Thanks for finally bringing this to the MVS and AES in some way. That is pretty neat. It is too bad SNK never did it, because I am 100% sure they have this on MVS as they had Ironclad, and just holding back, you know, because they love to lose money these days.

TheIronSheik

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Great job. It would be awesome to see a demo video of the final product. I gotta get cracking on Crossed Swords. I have spent very little time playing that game.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
This is pretty amazing to see, however, I think it would be much better if you used the original music from the cd version of the game. If you see the way it is done with all the NG Dev Team games, I think it would be possible. RAZION, Gunlord, Pink Bullets etc REALLY benefit from actual stereo cd soundtracks, and the MVS/AES can handle this pretty well these days, plus I think everyone would like it better this way. The music from the first game was fantastic, but, the music from CS2 was infinitely better IMO. Please try to retain the original music if possible. I would love to get an AES and MVS release of this project, but, I would pay more for a real 1:1 release as SNK would do it, with Engrish in tact with actual cd music. This is just my opinion though. Thanks for finally bringing this to the MVS and AES in some way. That is pretty neat. It is too bad SNK never did it, because I am 100% sure they have this on MVS as they had Ironclad, and just holding back, you know, because they love to lose money these days.

While it's possible to do the music conversion, (I believe they did it for Ironclad) it's a time-consuming process, and it may need specialized software/hardware to do it. While I do not doubt Raz is capable of doing it, it may not be worth his time. Just my opinion.

Regards.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Would anyone buy Crossed Swords 2 ROM cart if it were priced at 400 Euros because it weighs in at 1560 MEGs?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
While it's possible to do the music conversion, (I believe they did it for Ironclad) it's a time-consuming process, and it may need specialized software/hardware to do it. While I do not doubt Raz is capable of doing it, it may not be worth his time. Just my opinion.

Regards.

The official Ironclad original cartridge music was released on the Wii Virtual console. I can only dream we can someday see the same for CS2. Raz has proven the original cartridge music existed at some point.

I'm assuming Raz is preparing a rom patch release, not a physical copy for sale, as some seem to be implying.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
The official Ironclad original cartridge music was released on the Wii Virtual console.

Yep, however when they released Ironclad to the virtual console, they should have converted the music from CDAudio to the format used for the console (which later became the MVS release of the game), no? or did they make new music for that release?

Regards.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
the vc release of ironclad had the original mvs files but never released when the cd version was made that was made back then not converted audio to mvs

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yep, however when they released Ironclad to the virtual console, they should have converted the music from CDAudio to the format used for the console (which later became the MVS release of the game), no? or did they make new music for that release?

Regards.

The Ironclad version released for virtual console was the unreleased MVS version. It was not a conversion of the CD version.

The CS2 music problems were already discussed in this thread. Raz has said, while possible to do in some facility, it would be near impossible to recreate perfectly with the data from the CDDA portion of the disc. The M1 data is there, but the samples are missing and would need to be recreated. These would have to be made perfectly from the red book audio on the CD.

Frankly, not worth it for what this conversion is. Perhaps one day we'll see a version from SNK that has the original samples in place, whether from MVS or recreated, but for now a lot of us are more than happy to have the music from the first game.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
what RabbitTroop said.

Also: I think it would be a lot less work if someone made a new soundtrack... could even add some freshness to the game - like it was with Star Control 2->Ur-Quan Masters. And it would make playing the "cartrelease" more attractive for those that already own the CD version.

[...] the MVS/AES can handle this pretty well these days [...] It is too bad SNK never did it, [...] because they love to lose money these days.
:scratch:

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
Awesome work razoola¡¡¡ i hope you release it with or without CS2 soundtrack, is a great job alike.

Zonks678

n00b
This would be great for the Neo Geo community if it does in fact come out. I would probably pick up a copy.