Crossed Swords 2 AES/MVS and Rom Thread.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Since Crossed Swords 2 was exclusive to the Neo Geo CD will it have both a Home mode and an Arcade mode? Or just a Home mode?
Does it have limited credits in Home mode?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Unfortunately I won't have the money this time around. If this is sucessful consider doing another run next year around tax time. Good luck with the game launch.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
I've seen various WIP insert posted up in this thread. Will the official final be available to download in high res? I ordered the MVS kit, but I keep all my games in shockboxes. Would be nice if I can print my own insert using the final art.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Thanks for your order. The MVS label has already been changed from what's in the picture, as you have noticed both labels are different in the picture also (which was a quite knock up of the art available at the time. We were experimenting with different layouts and what you point out has already been changed.

Presently the layout is the same as what you see across the top of the page (http://www.neobitz.com/crossedswords2) with a couple of minor differences. The 'made in japan' is slightly more bolded and the registered mark next to MVS is changed to trademark.

Is that more like what you expect to see?

Yes Raz, that's exactly what i was more expecting to see.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Since Crossed Swords 2 was exclusive to the Neo Geo CD will it have both a Home mode and an Arcade mode? Or just a Home mode?
Does it have limited credits in Home mode?

It has Full arcade mode and full home mode like you would expect from NeoGeo cart based games. This means with a unibios you have access to either mode depending on your bios settings.

I have taken great efforts to move the game away from the CD version. Console mode _DOES NOT_ have unlimited credits, like most AES games it has 4 credits available. The games CD menu screen (start game, demo, how2play) is also gone now. When you start a game in console mode you have a choice of either Easy, Normal or Hard difficulty setting before the game starts.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
That's awesome. I really like having limited credits in console mode.
I'm really looking forward to this!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Will the MVS version work on a converter for AES?

Fusion and Daedalus have been tested and confirmed working. There is no reason why it should not work on any of the converters TBH.

housethemous

New Challenger
Even though I am not a huge fan of conversions, this one is something special I think for the sake of this community. I will be picking up the AES version on pre-order very soon. Whose going to make the Samurai Shodown RPG conversion next? :vik:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
$280 for the MVS is higher than anticipated, but for the work put in it's warranted. I guess I should say, a $20 premium for a home cart and snaplock is probably the deal of the decade when it comes to Neo Geo stuff. I can't wait to give this game a try. I really shouldn't be dropping nearly $300 on MVS games anymore, but this was an amazing community project and I'm really happy with how this all came together. I'll be supporting this one, for sure.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I just pre-ordered an MVS copy. Very excited about this. It's great that you were able to work out a release with NeoBitz.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
AES Preordered. Thanks Raz, Jeff, Rot, and all others who made this possible. Very excited!

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
I've seen various WIP insert posted up in this thread. Will the official final be available to download in high res? I ordered the MVS kit, but I keep all my games in shockboxes. Would be nice if I can print my own insert using the final art.

Even nicer would be including a shockbox insert, or having the option to purchase one. I don't have the skills or resources to print my own unfortunately. If you guys could think about making an insert available for those that want one it would be appreciated.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
$280 for the MVS is higher than anticipated, but for the work put in it's warranted. I guess I should say, a $20 premium for a home cart and snaplock is probably the deal of the decade when it comes to Neo Geo stuff. I can't wait to give this game a try. I really shouldn't be dropping nearly $300 on MVS games anymore, but this was an amazing community project and I'm really happy with how this all came together. I'll be supporting this one, for sure.

Yes, one thing to remember here is the MVS version is a full kit and also has a brand new black cartridge shell. The AES kit has a used snapbox and cartridge shell which is one of the reasons we are including an extra cartridge label (in case anyone wants to replace the shell with their own.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Even nicer would be including a shockbox insert, or having the option to purchase one. I don't have the skills or resources to print my own unfortunately. If you guys could think about making an insert available for those that want one it would be appreciated.

We will see about this, at the moment I am working on getting the artwork finished that we are already supplying so I have to see how the time goes. Some very good ones have already been posted to this thread that can probably be printed at southtown.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
@jackc and other insert designers.

Attached is one new screenshot that you may want to use on your cover.

Now that I have seen a translation of the manual it seems there is no reference to 'guada fortress' at all which is used in the text on the back of the insert and I have had no confirmation as to where that text came from. There is a reference to 'magic castle of Raduuin' but this refers to the devil castle used on the second line.

Presently for the AES insert I am planning to use.

NAUSIZZ HAS RETURNED
TO THE DEVIL CASTLE OF BELKANA...

Attachments

• gameplay9.png
    gameplay9.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I was talking with a friend and fellow member here about this project and he brought up a really good point.

Iron Clad started high and now is worth 100 once it was made public.
Ghostlop started high and now is worth 100 once it was made public.
This game is being sold for 300 and the uniformity thing is just arts, and mediocre at best if I might add, so the art being uniform point seems null. 200% mark up seems unjustified.
I think he brings a very compelling argument here. I'm not gonna throw him under the bus, if he wanted to be known who he was he would have already posted.
I have to say he kinda open my eyes about this in a whole different way.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I was talking with a friend and fellow member here about this project and he brought up a really good point.

Iron Clad started high and now is worth 100 once it was made public.
Ghostlop started high and now is worth 100 once it was made public.
This game is being sold for 300 and the uniformity thing is just arts, and mediocre at best if I might add, so the art being uniform point seems null. 200% mark up seems unjustified.
I think he brings a very compelling argument here. I'm not gonna throw him under the bus, if he wanted to be known who he was he would have already posted.
I have to say he kinda open my eyes about this in a whole different way.

Tell your friend to go and study business. Its totally normal in matters of supply and demand.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Can I ask why Iron Clad conversions were chosen for this project? I don't fully understand the choice. Is it because they were all done poorly or because there were many available and you didn't mind saccing an already sacced cart?

Wouldn't this push the price up of Iron Clad? Or was this conversion produced in fairly high numbers?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Tell your friend to go and study business. Its totally normal in matters of supply and demand.

I'll relate the message but I'm sure he'll see it as well.

Now this is just me; Business as in charge more simply because you can? I thought you were different, I must be misunderstanding this, I was under the impression you were one of the good guys, you know, fair is fair and all about the community. I can understand that if you are good at something, don't do it for free, absolutely without a question, but let's say I buy a cart, have it open and inspect it top to bottom and find that costs aren't but 50 bucks, then by all means let's have a mark up on materials of 100%, that's 100. Is the other 200 your brilliance fee? Maybe I'm way off base here, but I'm truly curious.

Now let's say NG: Dev Gunlord, the game is worth every penny IMHO, proprietary hardware, proprietary software, excellent game (that's besides the point though). This supply and demand philosophy applies to them simply 'cause it their game, CSII is not your game, you simply altered the software with what is already there, how can it be worth half what Gunlord is worth when so much more work went into it. Even the arts, I mean that insert is using poorly scanned art and on top of that you're deeming that as official art, a 300 tag should go along with better standards on that aspect.

I respect what you do, you've been doing it for a very long time and there's no doubt you're an asset to the hobby but I'm just trying to be objective, as you can see I was all excited at first and very willing to support this project, my only question was the rom release. I completely understood your stance on it although dubious about release still, I took it as you will eventually do it because I like to think you are a decent man and you do this out of love for the hobby and for the community, I'm sure this is just pennies for you and you must have a "real" job that supports your endeavors.

Another point is, maybe I'm just spoiled 'cause you shared the Uni-Bios with everyone and then you also provide the legit chips (I have a few) which I thought was not just proper but awesome all at once. Maybe I thought you would treat all your projects for the hobby as such. Truth be told it was because of this very reason that all my art reproduction work was free for all, it was your Uni-Bios work that inspired me to do it all for the love of it and share it with the rest of the world just because it seemed right. I does sting seeing others use your work for monetary gain, people have done it with my work left and right but karma is a bitch and they'll get theirs, plus, they truly don't know how to do it right anyway so whatever, after all it really isn't my work to begin with, it's owner is gone and all is left are the fans so in my eyes it belongs to them.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hi Lads...

The price is the price atm... We ALL know in the future once the romz get out the prices of the game itself will fall...

It SHOULD NOT BE VIEWED as an investment... This project should be viewed as a community affair and your chance to have something that Raz, Jeff and a few others worked very hard on...

I say the arguments about business practices are dumb and invalid when it comes to a project like this...

xROTx

PS. I initially paid upto $500usd EACH for my Ghostlop carts from Jeff... includes the original donation to buy it... get the sac carts... pay for postage... etc etc...

I did NOT view the item as an investment... I just did it to help out and piss off teh French e3lit3...

EDIT: I also wanted Ghostlop for the community... not some elitists assholes who feel having numbered carts 1-10 makes them awesome!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
@Electricgrave

If you look at the examples you gave of iron clad and ghost lop I am sure you will see that the prices did not instantly drop once the ROM was available. These things take time to happen and its more likely the prices stayed high before they dropped (sales vs demand). Once the demand drops the prices come down.

So if the CS2 ROM was released now while in the long term I can agree the price would probably be lower the initial price for a good few months would not be. This is why the little extra effort is being put in now because I am personally hoping that when we look back at this in say 5 years this batch of Crossed Swords 2 carts will be more sort after than the ones people make themselves by saccing carts simply because there will be a little history attached to them. The protection of currently original non sacked games is another factor in doing it this way.

I feel you are getting a little ahead of yourself, never has it been said the ROM would not be released. You are just seeing a part of the picture with CS2 and I'm sure once you look backwards on this in the future you will have probably a different overall view.

Last edited: