Cave. Steam. *mic drop*

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Silly noobish question...

How much money would I be spending on a PC to run Shmupmame and some of the Steam shooters? (Raiden Legacy, Mushi etc...) Ideally, I'd also like to hook it up to my TV.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Silly noobish question...

How much money would I be spending on a PC to run Shmupmame and some of the Steam shooters? (Raiden Legacy, Mushi etc...) Ideally, I'd also like to hook it up to my TV.

Shmupmame will run most games fine on a cheap PC with integrated graphics. I have a Dual core usff Dell with 4gb of ram that runs everything except for the newer cave stuff. However, even on my $2000 gaming rig it still runs crappy...it's just not emulated 100% yet.

As far as steam games go, it's all gonna matter on the title. Games like Raiden 3 and 4 are much more demanding then say Alltynex. I'd say you could probably spend about $500 on a decent build in an htpc case with a low profile gpu and it will run 99% of the stuff on steam in low/medium settings.

Edit: avoid Raiden legacy at all costs...it's a hot mess.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Will it though? They couldn't give away the US 360 release of Deathsmiles. Amazon still has a new one in stock for $15.

It sold great for a shmup released at retail in the US. The problem is that Aksys was forced to produce more copies than they could realistically sell, which was due to Microsoft's strict minimum print run rules for retail 360 games in the US at the time. IIRC, Microsoft required publishers to produce a minimum of 50,000 copies for any 360 game released at retail in the US, which is an unrealistic number for any shmup to sell in any region. Supposedly, Aksys was able to sell a little over 25,000 copies. For comparison, the best-selling retail shmups released in Japan during the previous console generation were Deathsmiles and Otomedius Gorgeous, both of which managed to sell ~35,000 copies.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Shmupmame will run most games fine on a cheap PC with integrated graphics. I have a Dual core usff Dell with 4gb of ram that runs everything except for the newer cave stuff. However, even on my $2000 gaming rig it still runs crappy...it's just not emulated 100% yet.

As far as steam games go, it's all gonna matter on the title. Games like Raiden 3 and 4 are much more demanding then say Alltynex. I'd say you could probably spend about $500 on a decent build in an htpc case with a low profile gpu and it will run 99% of the stuff on steam in low/medium settings.

Edit: avoid Raiden legacy at all costs...it's a hot mess.

Raiden IV will run on a Core 2 Duo with a ATI radeon HD40XX. When it first starts a game it's running around 50 fps, but when you pick up the first power up it goes full 60. That might have to do with my computer being old and full of crap.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
So is it safe to say that we should see every 360 release on steam now? They still have quite a few popular titles to roll out like Futari and Espgaluda 2.

Here's to hoping.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Don't hold your breath for Ketsui or DOJ, since they were published my 5pb.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Are any of the Cave shmups out yet? I'm getting my Alienware Steam Machine on Thursday, my first foray into Steam, and these would be my first purchases if they are.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Are any of the Cave shmups out yet? I'm getting my Alienware Steam Machine on Thursday, my first foray into Steam, and these would be my first purchases if they are.

Mushihimesama is out.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

Mushihimesama 1.5 is out right now, Pedosmiles releases March 10th.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Excellent, thanks guys. Looks like that will be my first purchase, assuming it runs on Linux.

Edit: Looks like that's a no. Dammit!

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Excellent, thanks guys. Looks like that will be my first purchase, assuming it runs on Linux.

Edit: Looks like that's a no. Dammit!

You're gonna find this alot. Also, Linux versions of some games have awful frame rate issues.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
You're gonna find this alot. Also, Linux versions of some games have awful frame rate issues.

Yeah, I'm starting to notice that already. I guess I'll see what's available and hope that games get updated to run on Linux over time. It's the only way Steam can expect these consoles to become a success.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
Don't hold your breath for Ketsui or DOJ, since they were published my 5pb.

even though degica is already working with 5pb on phantom breaker pc?

not that this is any indication of a steam release, but
Spoiler:
ketsui_zpsf7en8u8p.png

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
My prediction for the next release is Ibara with Kuro DLC available. However that tweet makes me think it could be Ketsui, which follows the pattern of them using games that already have a 360 port.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
to be fair, there's some other determination "ketsui" content that they're promoting, but I still think it's possible. It'd probably be my #2 pick behind progear which in my eyes is very unlikely.

as for DOJ, that's probably a lost cause cause of the source code used.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Hmmm interesting. Will most likely pick it up so I can add it to the Rombox.