Castlevania: Mirror of Fate (3DS)

hitorkori

Cheng's Errand Boy
pre ordered cant wait for some 3ds castlevanie & 2nd los sequel on 360 got to play em all

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Bump, for nine minutes of unadulterated, non-commented, straight gameplay.

Judging from this video the game looks terrible. It would be improved with good music but otherwise it just looks so bland and boring. I hate all the stupid combos and whipping the length of the screen.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Judging from this video the game looks terrible. It would be improved with good music but otherwise it just looks so bland and boring. I hate all the stupid combos and whipping the length of the screen.

Are you kidding me. They have an instruction screen before you play telling you how to play a 2D Castlevania game?

Fail on so many levels. But no surprise. This game looks terrible. Thankfully Konami has allowed an actual qualified developer to take on their Metal Gear series while they allow Castlevania to fall into the crapper.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Where is my demo?!!! This could be the greatest Castlevania ever!!! I've always wanted to play Rondo of Blood with SotN Ritcher, he just moves better. Also, I've always wanted a traditional Castlevania game with a deeper action system, I like the combos and the parrying. Lords of Shadow has some amazing parrying going on, if its anything like it I'm gonna be in heaven!

If only I could get a Ninja Gaiden like that I'd be all set.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Where is my demo?!!! This could be the greatest Castlevania ever!!! I've always wanted to play Rondo of Blood with SotN Ritcher, he just moves better. Also, I've always wanted a traditional Castlevania game with a deeper action system, I like the combos and the parrying. Lords of Shadow has some amazing parrying going on, if its anything like it I'm gonna be in heaven!

If only I could get a Ninja Gaiden like that I'd be all set.

Lords of Shadow is amazing? I fear for our gaming future with opinions like this.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Lords of Shadow is amazing? I fear for our gaming future with opinions like this.

Oh come on, Jedah. LoS is just another God of War with a different skin. And GoW is a pretty fantastic series. Is it so difficult to accept LoS as the best 3D Castlevania?

Although, admittedly, I never did get around to those two PS2 Castlevanias.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I almost lost interest in LoS during the prolonged chapter 2, but whatever followed was simply great for me.

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Quick general question about the 3DS...

Just picked one up today (XL) as Best Buy was having a President's Day sale on games...Grabbed Sticker Mario, Professor Layton, and Kid Icarus for 50 bucks total (15x2 and 20).

What are some other must have 3DS games that are out now?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Is it so difficult to accept LoS as the best 3D Castlevania?

Only if you dislike accepting the truth.

Don't waste your time. Lament of Innocence is all right but Curse of Darkness is a turgid pile of shit.

k'_127's opinion is the same to my own. LoS started a bit slow and I had a hard time initially getting into it, but once I got into the third chapter, the game was amazing.

EG is also right about the deeper combat system being very rewarding.

The only thing I don't like about LoS at the end of the day are the Shadow of the Colossus swipes. And the surprise twist ending, which I felt wasn't necessary.

I can wrap my brain around Castlevania as a 3D brawler. Conceptually, it fits the theme of the Belmonts and the combat engine in LoS pulls it off just fine. Nice aesthetics to pull you in too, from the music to the graphics to the voice acting.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Oh come on, Jedah. LoS is just another God of War with a different skin. And GoW is a pretty fantastic series. Is it so difficult to accept LoS as the best 3D Castlevania?

"Just another God of War"? That's what you're happy to let the Castlevania series turn into? I have to say my friend, that's a really sad sentiment.

There are a myriad of issues I have with LoS. One of the namely being the fact the game began its life as a completely different game. It was only until Konami saw it said "We can put the Castlevania name on it, swap out some polygons, and call it a day". Beyond it never originally being developed as a Castlevania game, it's sloppily done and not executed very well. It's not a terrible game, but as a 3D Castlevania it's below average.

I would encourage you to play Lament of Innocence. It's the best 3D Castlevania so far in my opinion. It's not perfect, but it's very fun and is the only 3D Castlevania I would consider good. Curse of Darkness was a big step backwards in terms of gameplay and pacing. I didn't even get around to finishing it because I found it stale.

I'm waiting for the day Konami takes the franchise back from this joke of a developer, or gives it to a developer more qualified. Until that day I'm not interested in anything Castlevania. Sure I'll give the 3DS one a try just in case they somehow manage to get it right, however doubtful.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
"Just another God of War"? That's what you're happy to let the Castlevania series turn into? I have to say my friend, that's a really sad sentiment.

There are a myriad of issues I have with LoS. One of the namely being the fact the game began its life as a completely different game. It was only until Konami saw it said "We can put the Castlevania name on it, swap out some polygons, and call it a day". Beyond it never originally being developed as a Castlevania game, it's sloppily done and not executed very well. It's not a terrible game, but as a 3D Castlevania it's below average.

I would encourage you to play Lament of Innocence. It's the best 3D Castlevania so far in my opinion. It's not perfect, but it's very fun and is the only 3D Castlevania I would consider good. Curse of Darkness was a big step backwards in terms of gameplay and pacing. I didn't even get around to finishing it because I found it stale.

I'm waiting for the day Konami takes the franchise back from this joke of a developer, or gives it to a developer more qualified. Until that day I'm not interested in anything Castlevania. Sure I'll give the 3DS one a try just in case they somehow manage to get it right, however doubtful.

For "not a terrible game", you sure do show up in threads for it and related projects a lot to rag on it. Just sayin'.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
LoI got too many empty rooms. Count Dracula must have raised the rent.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Then fear away 'cause my opinion is about to change the world! The world!!!

Ignorance is not bliss when spoken as valid. All your points are void, you can go on and on about how much you think LoS sucks but you're only deluding yourself, sure it may sound good in your head but let's just face it, you're not everyone. Everyone that likes Castlevania likes it for different reasons, I've always seen the series as a myriad of ideas pasted into a horror ambiance setting. Ever since chapter one Castlevania has taken cues from other games to make its own blend of horror gaming.

It's like folks crying about certain KOFs or a movie sequel or prequel, they're just games and movies, move the fuck on.

Fear for our gaming culture...now that sounds much too naive.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Curse of Darkness had some amazing music, so good in fact that it kept me playing just to hear the next level's score. The game was pretty dull though. I never played LOI as I feared it would be like Cure of Darkness but without the great music.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
LoI got too many empty rooms. Count Dracula must have raised the rent.

This is my major issue with the game. Too many square, empty rooms, too many parts of the dungeon that had the exact same, geometrically plain areas that were dull, with cool colors that killed my emotional connection.

If the combat would have been more entertaining, there would have been something to engage me. But the puzzles and environments are bland, and the gameplay and combat are PASSABLE, but that's about it.

Curse of Darkness had some amazing music, so good in fact that it kept me playing just to hear the next level's score. The game was pretty dull though. I never played LOI as I feared it would be like Cure of Darkness but without the great music.

I agree 100% with this. Definitely the strongest point of CoD. Actually, I liked the characters and the story in it too. Novel idea to take a single element -monster ranching- and build gameplay around it, because we know how much the Japanese love monster ranching in their games.

So when you factor in the two N64 Castlevania games, LoI and CoD and compare them with LoS, there is simply no comparison: LoS is the best 3D game with the name Castloevania.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
CoD has an amazing soundtrack, I was lucky to get the OST from GameStop, they were giving them away like crazy, I grabbed 2 and gave one to my GF back on the days when they were giving them Timeline DS Portrait of Ruin package.

I actually enjoyed CoD, it felt like Dawn of Sorrow familiars with 3D, I actually liked the combat better than LoI, I should play more LoI though.

Best Castlevania character has to be Ritcher from SotN, he runs, slides, backflips, all kinds of crazy, a true challenge for SotN speed runs. Also I like Just Belmont from Harmony of Dissonance 'cause of the Back/Foward Dash, this feature added so much flexibility to the game play.

People talk a lot about GoW clones, CoD clones, yada yada clones, well if it wasn't for clones we wouldn't be talking on a Neo Geo Forum, at least I know I wouldn't be. It's not cloning, if so then everything in life is a clone of something else, oh let's not kite surf 'cause it's a clone of surfing, gotta keep it real!

What are some other must have 3DS games that are out now?

The list of good games is slowly starting to build. I'd also recommend Resident Evil: Revelations and the Adventure Time Game. The latter being kind of like Adventure of Link with art I think is by Paul Robertson who did the Scott Pilgrim game amongst other things and it all looks good.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Bump, for the Simon Belmont story trailer.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm in fear for the future of our...

...STFU and like the game already you fucken peon!

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I'm in fear for the future of our...

...STFU and like the game already you fucken peon!

Sorry. I've just gotten in the habit of not liking poorly made games by developers with bad track records *cough* Jericho *cough*. It's a tough habit to break.