Castlevania: Mirror of Fate (3DS)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
About DOA5, every time I get to play it I have guests so I'm playing local matches but I'll make it a point to get some matches with my NG pals. Also, I want to play story mode as well so I can unlock some crap and get the hang of the new features.

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I wanna hear how this game doesn't play smooth. The combo system is way better than any other action game, it just is. All I can think of when I hear all the whining is; Ok let's think, is there a better game out there? What game plays better than this? Is there a better system out there? Is there a game with a better replay feature? is there a game with tighter controls? I always come up empty handed but if anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Four syllables: Bay-o-net-ta. Best third person action game of this generation and possibly of all-time IMO. LoS isn't even in the same league. Plus just look at the pedigree and quality of the respective developers. Platinum Games > Mercury Steam.

Last edited:

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Konami should finish the Castlevania from Dreamcast that was shelved years ago and release it on the PSP. Make it a bonus game in the upcoming title.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I got one for ya, better then the Dreamcast... Back before the PS1 and Saturn generation, Konami was working on what was to be a direct sequel to Dracula X (PCE-Super CD2) for the Sega 32X. This title was to be another action or "classic" formula Castlevania (like DX) and not what later became known as the Metroidvania style used on PS1's SotN and future GBA/DS games. Rumor has it a late start, mixed with faltering sales of the 32X hardware, lead to the cancellation of the game while still in the pre-production faze.

This one image (which originally appeared in a issue of EGM) is the only known image containing assets from the canceled game.
unusedvk.gif

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Wow Jassin! I never heard of that 32X work in progress before. How awesome it would have been. Dracula X for PCE is astonishing and just imagine what a successor would have been like. Yeah, 32X was pretty much a dud. Konami should have been looking at the bigger picture back then and had it made for multiple platforms. Man, now you got me going. I've gotta break out my Duo and fire up Dracula X!

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I've always wished a prototype of the lost 32X version would someday surface. It seems tho, that because the game was canceled in this very early preproduction stage, no proto was ever made. Only the few assets above as the rumor states. Maybe DavidG has one in storage he can sell me for 30,000$? SOLD! :D

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
So I did some research on the game and found this neat info page about it:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/2/canceled-page2.htm

Seems that the assets from "Bloodletting" went into the making of SOTN. I guess that's better in the long run because Symphony is arguably one of the greatest Castlevanias of all-time. Still, I wish we could have seen what the 32X version would have looked like. Remember though, SEGA's machines at that time couldn't render transparencies like the PSX which is one of the best graphic features.

Back on topic, I am still gonna try out the new game for sure 'cause I'm a Castlevania freak.

Ukee

Geese's Thug
Castlevania was my favorite game series and i played through every single one up till LoS, I only got about half way till I gave up on it. I wan't to have the the drive to play this new one but I just don't think I can muster up the energy to try it. I don't know, maybe I just lost interest in non-arcade type games, 5 years ago I would of beat'n off a donkey to get the chance to play it, now I don't think I could care less honestly.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The only 3D Castlevania I've played was LoI, and I hated it. Loads of empty rooms with nothing shows that it was just a lazy effort on behalf of the developer.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Homer Simpson on jury duty: How many s'es are in innocent?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
New trailer

Looks totally awesome to me.

Don't believe the hate.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Mirror of fate is looking good. I'm hoping for the best. Castlevania is probably my favorite video game series. I tried really hard to like LOS but that game was a piece of shit. I'm just hoping mirror of fate follows in the path of the DS games, and not LOS

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Bump

Release date for NA is March 5th.

Magician

20 Year Member
Bump, for nine minutes of unadulterated, non-commented, straight gameplay.

Magician

20 Year Member
I am very hyped for this.

Definitely!

I don't know how other people feel about the new gameplay design, but I think it's a terrific way for MercurySteam to put their own stamp on the 2D series. I'm talking about the whip combinations, blocks/counters, items/spells in desperate times chaos I saw in that video. I can see where the devs said that they were influenced by fighting game mechanics. Combat-wise, this may be the most intense 2D Castlevania yet.

The platforming and puzzle sections looked great too.

I'm excited.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Bump, for nine minutes of unadulterated, non-commented, straight gameplay.

Regular combat seems like it takes too long, but the boss fights look cool.

Reminds me that I still need to get around to playing LoS at some point.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Not sure if it's been brought up here before:

Konami 'would consider' HD Castlevania: Mirror of Fate, MercurySteam has assets ready

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/04/konami-would-consider-hd-castlevania-mirror-of-fate-mercurys/

Speaking to CVG, Konami UK studio head Dave Cox said "Absolutely, yeah, we would consider it" to the prospect of an HD version of Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, following its 3DS debut next month. "We want as many people to play it as possible. Obviously we have an exclusivity deal with Nintendo right now though and they've been very supportive of the product."

Cox is so open to the idea in part because it wouldn't be that difficult. "We created everything in high definition - all the textures, all the levels, high-poly models, everything - and we kind of shrunk it all down into the 3DS," he explained.

Please note that the article's title is misleading, as Cox may represent his studio, but not Konami.

Last edited: