Cardboard, Softcase or Snaplock - Which AES packaging do you like most?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I am not expecting any serious votes for cardboard, only some early Japanese AES games used them after all, but I'm including them anyway

Are you a cardboard, vinyl or plastic kind of person?

Me, I'm a mix of softcase and snaplock, though if I own any AES games, I do always want at least one in a snaplock case. One cannot deny the raw power and eye appeal laden in those snaplocks. They're such big and badass cases, they have a lock on them to keep them closed. Only downside is they crack and break easily. The softcase is humble but still so decidedly Neo Geo. I can't think of another game system that used a similar type of case for its games. I have one cardboard game and it's only because this game never got a softcase (King of the Monsters 1).

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I prefer the snaplock but the softcases, provided they are in good condition, are excellent also.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Each case used for AES games has pros and cons, from a condition perspective.

Soft cases are great when in really nice condition like lachlan said. The inserts were slightly larger and the "Neo Geo" smell is glorious. However, the vinyl used is effected by outside influences such as moisture and heat. There are plenty of examples of not only the clear plastic "shrinking" over time leaving the insert exposed, plus the black vinyl itself getting warped and wrinkled which leaves the insert literally fitted to the wrinkles of the case. You can't perfectly flatten an insert that has been in a warped soft case, and plenty of inserts show wear at the top from being exposed over time. When getting copies that have been stored improperly, those are two common issues, as well as their ability to retain mold and musty smells due to the use of cardboard inside the vinyl. I've had to toss soft cases due to them retaining smells and mold.

Snaplock cases are my preference, however they aren't perfect either. Like HMG said, they can have issues cracking, and the hinges can wear poorly if stretched open too far. Sometimes the clear plastic protecting the insert was fitted loosely, leaving the insert more open to wear on the top and bottom, and the clear plastic susceptible to tearing. Because the snaplock has hollow areas, it leaves obvious imprints in the insert. That never bothered me, but when handled improperly, someone could easily push the insert in, worsening the condition. I've seen edges on snaplock inserts pushed deep back into the case, and it's not a good look. Because of the raised "SNK" logo inside the case, it has the tendency to scuff the back of the cart with an "SNK" imprint. On some carts it's extremely noticeable. SNK changed the texture of the clear plastic used on snaplock cases from 1995 to 1996 and onward. 1995 snaplocks will have a matte texture, and later cases will be glossy, so if originality is a priority, that'll need checked.

Carton boxes are carton boxes. They suck outside of shelf collections. They wear terribly, and finding the set in actually nice condition is a chore.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I'm not trolling when I say this - but I love the cardboard boxes. At one point I had nearly every release, I think. Was a fool to sell them off.

Now I have about 4 or 5 that I've slowly re-bought.

Weird neo moe fetishes aside tho, snaplock are easily the "best".

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I really like the soft cases, just wish the trays weren’t quite as prone to cracking. Snap locks are cool too, but I’ll pass on cartons.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The soft cases could have benefited from extra PVC in the trays and better build quality overall but they are the easiest to use and they smell and feel like Neo Geo. Soft case inserts are bigger than snap locks so you get a bit more art.

The snap locks are luxurious and seem really tough until the hinge wears out or you accidentally drop one and it lands wrong. The sheer weight of the carts will chip the rigid plastic or even shatter the case if you're unlucky.

Cardboard homecart cases are definitely the worst. Pain in the ass to use, thin loose tray from the soft case and of course they don't hold up at all. MVS kit boxes are superior but many are damaged or written on by ops. They were never meant to be collected.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I like the soft box flater spine better than the snap lock rounded ones.

Even the carton box are nicely imposing. We cant go wrong with any. They're so cool that even a LOSJ looks good on it. ;)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The soft cases were often broken (separated) at the corners when buying used even back in the 90's.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The evolutions of SNK cases:

Cardboard box
Soft clamshell
Snap lock
Snaplock within Snap lock NGP
Snaplock in Cardboard clamshell NGPC

how interesting that they advanced their abilities and understanding of cases only to dial it back when the money got tight. I wonder if that move really saved them money.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I actually keep my cardboard boxes in a protective plastic sleeve thing and keep the carts out....otherwise ya you wear out the flaps and stuff. I dunno something about them feels awesome and significant.

Particularly love my Nam and Ghost Pilots cardboard boxes.

Cyber Lip looked great too, hate myself for selling that one...

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Damn now I want to buy some more :p

Anyone’s selling Baseball Stars?

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I am a cheap fuck so most of my games are older titles, hence the soft case.

All my other stuffs are MVS.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
First generation snap-locks for me, that matte finish does it.

BTW, wasn't cardboard second? IIRC, rental first in soft clamshell, then cardboard as a special reedition for launch.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Hard to make a case (see that?) for anything but the snaplock case in terms of both function and form. Majority of the heavy hitter titles are in snaplock cases, so even the lower value games that come in these cases feel pretty prestigious, just by association.

The look of the soft case is iconic, no doubt, but the design of the case is beyond impractical. If you ship a soft case game with the cartridge in the tray, you can count on a thousand tiny tray fragments coming out when you open the case. At this point, I imagine perfect condition older titles are extremely, extremely rare.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Overall, AES snaplock cases are the coolest video game boxes ever made for any console ever (said like a 90's teen with frosted tips).

Seriously, though, from a design perspective the ornate, ostentatious flair, embossed SNK logos, weight, and sturdiness befit the expensive and sought after game housed inside. It's a premium case for a premium product. While I do love the scent of a good conditioned vinyl case, there is nothing like carefully opening an AES snaplock and digging into your favorite game. It's ritualistic. Hell, it's a big part of why I still mostly prefer physical games - interacting with them is akin to a ritual every time you play.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
Personally in my opinion I think the snaplock case just looks better and I like the durability on it with the SNK logo engraved inside the case. Just looks great and love the quality

Leback

Stakes Winner
I prefer the snaplock but the smell from the soft cases is almost like that from a new premium car at the dealer.

I totally agree with yagamikun about the whole ritual before playing an AES game. The only thing gamewise that comes close to holding a snaplock/softcase in your hands are the old big box PC games. But you installed those games and then put the box on a shelf and rarely touched it.