Car Enthusiast Thread

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:
Pretty big price difference.

$44,595 (Boxter) vs. $61,275 (SLK 55 AMG)

My bad - I knew both were pretty much in the same "range", but I didn't know the difference was that big.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yeah. i am talking used as well.

so more in the 35k-40k range.

There are many many many cars in that range. That is why i am asking...

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I would get an S2000 over the regular Boxster, but if you have the extra money to spend then getting a Boxster S over an S2000 makes sense.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Throw in a BMW Z4 3.0 liter and Mercedes-Benz SLK (6 cylinder) version in there for the comparison in addition to the Boxster and S2000.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
well if you have $40,000 to blow you can just save up until you triple it then buy this car ;)

smiley is a link foo!

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
yes yes great other cars.
Any bad things about the boxster S tho?

One of the things that brought me to this car is the mid engine. I was really into the Fiero scene (86gt-88gt only!) when i was younger. I loved hammering the engine and hearing it whirrr behind me. Plus it is a handling experience most people will never get to appreciate.

the BMW is nice, but i dont trust em. had bad repair problems with friend's.
the s2000 is asian, and i dont like it. looks cheap despite the rave reviews.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
NeoSneth said:

One of the things that brought me to this car is the mid engine. I was really into the Fiero scene (86gt-88gt only!) when i was younger. I loved hammering the engine and hearing it whirrr behind me. Plus it is a handling experience most people will never get to appreciate.

Remember though, the S2000 will outperform both the Boxster (non-S) and BMW Z4 3.0 no problem. Do you really think it looks cheap? It pays such homage to the S600, S800, etc.

I just hope Honda eventually makes an S3000 with a 3.0 liter V6. It'd probably produce around 350 hp. :drool:

At any rate though, if you can get a Boxster S definitely go for it (especially if you get a good price) because that car is pretty awesome and is the best out of its class.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
NeoSneth said:

which is why i showed you the stratos. a mid engine ride is something that once you feel it you love it. my dad's delorean was like that for me. just flooring it and being tossed back in the seat then going around a corner at 80 and feeling the car do all of the driving. it's truly an experience.

now im looking at fiero's... do you still have one that is up for sale?

Last edited:
Lets Gekiga In said:
Here's your Kia Elan! Man, I wish I had one. :drool:

KIAelan.jpg

Get in line pal!!! :mad:

Robert said:
I remember that. I was shocked in the first place but Lotus had to survive in those time (before the explosion of the Elise) so making money buy selling an old model to Kia was a good idea.

I would like to know how the Kia model feels compared to the original one.

From what I understand it is the exact same car as its Lotus counterpart with the exception of the engine. In other words, it has the same specs and handling as the original.

Tony_N

Astra Superstar
If you're specifically looking for a mid engine, a new Boxster S is probably it.
The used ones are the previous model and they're not as good as the new one.

I personally wouldn't have any of the current "popular" roadsters, maybe not even the S2000..
The reason is Opel Speedster.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Tony_N said:
If you're specifically looking for a mid engine, a new Boxster S is probably it.
The used ones are the previous model and they're not as good as the new one.

I personally wouldn't have any of the current "popular" roadsters, maybe not even the S2000..
The reason is Opel Speedster.
How many times do us Americans tell you that we don't have Opel over here?! :p

I guess he could think about buying the Lotus Elise, but since that car is fairly new here the dealers are being assholes and charging WAY over what they're really worth.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:
I just hope Honda eventually makes an S3000 with a 3.0 liter V6. It'd probably produce around 350 hp. :drool:

And seriously violate the forumla.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
And seriously violate the forumla.
What the fuck are you talking about?

I really wish they would use a V8 and it'd be closer to an F1 car (starting next year), but using a V6 would make it lighter.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:
What the fuck are you talking about?

I really wish they would use a V8 and it'd be closer to an F1 car (starting next year), but using a V6 would make it lighter.

None of the S cars ever had large engines. That was the point. In fact, the first, the S600 was as the name indicates 600CC. It also had a chain drive rear axle.

The formula for the S car is to have a very lightweight body, small high revving engine and sporty handling.

See, most cars follow a formula. Like the Thunderbird was originally slated to compete directly with the corvette, however Ford violated the formula and we all know what happened there.

I think the Ford Mustang has been the closest to staying with the formula in America. The Europeans usually don't have specific names for their model lines, only keeping with a series or alpha numeric. These series or alphas are usually formulaic in their own.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
None of the S cars ever had large engines. That was the point. In fact, the first, the S600 was as the name indicates 600CC. It also had a chain drive rear axle.

The formula for the S car is to have a very lightweight body, small high revving engine and sporty handling.

See, most cars follow a formula. Like the Thunderbird was originally slated to compete directly with the corvette, however Ford violated the formula and we all know what happened there.

I think the Ford Mustang has been the closest to staying with the formula in America. The Europeans usually don't have specific names for their model lines, only keeping with a series or alpha numeric. These series or alphas are usually formulaic in their own.

Like I said, a V6 isn't that big of an engine anymore. It would still be following the formula. The name of each S car comes from the displacement as you indicated so it's very logical that the next step is to make a 3.0 liter engine and thus make the S3000. I suggest V6 because it is still lighter than V8, V10, V12, W12 and W16. So it is still paying tribute. But also remember, Honda and F1 are closer than you think.

The S600 was launched in 1964, the same year Honda entered F1... a coincidence? I think not!

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:

the trans-am has also stayed in formula too. at least i'd say so. a large lound engined musclecar with bad gas mileage and wait... the twin turbo trans am D'OH! well there goes my post.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:

I guess the U.S. version of the S cars defeated your formula as well though. It has a 2.2 liter engine and it's still called the S2000. :kekeke:

It should be called the S2200 in the U.S.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Lets Gekiga In said:
I guess the U.S. version of the S cars defeated your formula as well though. It has a 2.2 liter engine and it's still called the S2000. :kekeke:

It should be called the S2200 in the U.S.
a 2.2 liter engine isn't big at all. that's like half an engine in my book. i dunno what you're smokin, but i've seen motorcycles with bigger engines.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
i am test driving some boxsters this weekend.

The s2000 is not even an option. You are talking about minute performace variations, but it is still not a mid engine. I am not taking this to the track. It's a bout a comfortable ride, that handles smoothly.

I no longer have any fiero's, but i am on the lookout for an 87-88gt to play with. Fun car, and quite collectible.

*oh, and the lancia was awesome looking, but that link showed one priced at $100k. Those are not easy cars to find....*

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
a 2.2 liter engine isn't big at all. that's like half an engine in my book. i dunno what you're smokin, but i've seen motorcycles with bigger engines.

You obviously didn't get the point. The whole point is that the name is incorrect (at least in the United States). Each number following the S is the displacement. Since it has a 2.0 liter engine (2000cc) it's called the S2000. Since the S800 has 800cc it's called the S800. Get it?

Well, the proper naming system is fucked up in the U.S. (at least) since it now uses a LOWER revving 2.2 liter engine and is still called the S2000 when in fact it should be called the S2200.

Got it now? I didn't think I'd have to go into that much detail.

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
NeoSneth said:

The s2000 is not even an option. You are talking about minute performace variations, but it is still not a mid engine. I am not taking this to the track. It's a bout a comfortable ride, that handles smoothly.

I no longer have any fiero's, but i am on the lookout for an 87-88gt to play with. Fun car, and quite collectible.
damn, well i know someone who has a couple of 88's that he might be looking to sell. i wouldn't mind getting a fiero it's just modification of one that would be difficult. i mean the mark VIII is nice too. and i might just go for both of em. have the markVIII as something to make a down payment on from a used dealership and pay off slowly and the fiero as just something to play around with. but what's modifying them like?

Got it now? I didn't think I'd have to go into that much detail
hey hey, since when have i been one to know much of anything about japanese cars? you know i see another ricer and go "oh, another japanese turd" hahaha

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
NeoSneth said:

*oh, and the lancia was awesome looking, but that link showed one priced at $100k. Those are not easy cars to find....*

Why not think about a used Acura NSX Targa then?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
hey hey, since when have i been one to know much of anything about japanese cars? you know i see another ricer and go "oh, another japanese turd" hahaha

You acted like you knew a decent amount about the history of the S car lineup when I posted that S600 pic as well as when I was talking about the S2000. I figured that you already knew.