Car Enthusiast Thread

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah. that's entirely a dismissive argument, but I guess we're not at debate club.
All mining is bad.
EV's don't create slave labor.
I'm very glad the US is able to generate more of it's petroleum resources domestically.
Employment is not justification for maintaining a practice. -see coal mining.
Your statistic for CO2 is based off a 2015 quote which has been disproven as early as 2016 by car manufacturers, the government, and MIT researchers.

Yeah. that's entirely a dismissive argument, but I guess we're not at debate club.
All mining is bad.
EV's don't create slave labor.
I'm very glad the US is able to generate more of it's petroleum resources domestically.
Employment is not justification for maintaining a practice. -see coal mining.
Your statistic for CO2 is based off a 2015 quote which has been disproven as early as 2016 by car manufacturers, the government, and MIT researchers.
We appear to be talking in circles. Also you keep repeating "dismissive" like it simply erases all my factual and provable points; it doesn't.

All materials that are needed to make cell phones and batteries are mines and Manufactured by slaver labor outside the states. Not all mining is bad but the lithium and Cobalt mines are particularly bad and cause massive environmental harm as there is no care for the enviromnet in that aria. Asia itself (China, India, Tigers) account for 75% of C02 Emissions BTW. This is a HUGE reason why.

If the U.S. is energy independent it crates a whole host of benefits such as lower costs on all industry and stronger buying power and the ability for people to generally live better lives while it's supporting their own business or leisure travel and not relying on foreign enemies for energy.
The energy and mining going into Manufacturing electric vehicles is massive and has not been disproven.

Want to get off oil? OK... Graphene battery & Nuclear power will remedy most of these issues. The battery charges as fast a super capacitor and Nuclear power is zero emissions and works 24/7.

fake

15 Year Member
Gaiz I’m doing some early Xmas shopping. Is this modeled after a mustang?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Hm, tough call, it seems to be kind of an amalgamation of a variety of muscle cars.

Looking at some blue cars with white vinyl tops

I see some Dodge Charger with the front grill

Some Barracuda for the rear for sure

Then the overall profile view makes me think Corvette a little bit more than anything with a back seat.

fake

15 Year Member
Gotcha - thanks. I'm trying to find something for my dad who has a blue GT.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Do some new cars not have an oil dipstick? It's bad enough not having a tranny dipstick...

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Do some new cars not have an oil dipstick? It's bad enough not having a tranny dipstick...

Most known on BMWs but I'm sure it spread further. No dipsticks, no spare tires, fake engine noises.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Had an unseasonably warm day in the 50s yesterday, so I wanted to take out the vette before it got cold again. First time out of the storage unit since a random day in early December, and she fired right up thankfully. I was worried I'd have to jump the battery.

Drove up north through some windy forest roads, and then back down south along the Lake Michigan coast. It was great. Spring can't get here soon enough.

Dat ass...

Attachments

• 20240209_162323.jpg
    20240209_162323.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 7

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I took my W202 in for a service this week. Saw some cool stuff in the garage.

Morris Traveller was in for a clutch change. White car (?) was in for recommissioning. Toyota Starlets belong to the owner, he races them.

IMG_8059.jpeg
IMG_8061.jpeg
IMG_8062.jpeg

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
mk4 interior looks like you're in a fighter jet. rocks

in news everyone already knows - the affordable modern daily driver selection in the states is dire. i knew it was bad but hadn't experienced it firsthand since i've only ever bought old shitboxes my entire life. was just in the market for one and ended up having to go 200 miles away to buy one that was decent. god bless the miata, didn't end up buying one but it's honestly mindblowing that they still make them. never would've remotely considered a mini before this, but it's that bad out there

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Sold the mini clubman S All-4, for a fat down payment on pre-owned Volvo XC90 ReCharge plug-in hybrid.

The Volvo is nice; not 90k new nice, so we scooped a 2021 for under 30k.

Installed a new 50A run to an outdoor outlet, along with a ChargePoint for Class 2 charging at home.
IMG_1107.jpeg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
mk4 interior looks like you're in a fighter jet. rocks

in news everyone already knows - the affordable modern daily driver selection in the states is dire. i knew it was bad but hadn't experienced it firsthand since i've only ever bought old shitboxes my entire life. was just in the market for one and ended up having to go 200 miles away to buy one that was decent. god bless the miata, didn't end up buying one but it's honestly mindblowing that they still make them. never would've remotely considered a mini before this, but it's that bad out there
Please go into more detail. What are low end prices for used cars nowadays?

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
View attachment 70817
View attachment 70818

Parked in the lot behind the brewery, nice looking Cord 810 or 812 (I don't know the difference).
Is that a "coffin nose" cord? My grandpa, who was born in the 1910s was telling me about them once as they were regarded as a cool car when he was young. Always meant to look it up to see what they looked like but never remembered.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Please go into more detail. What are low end prices for used cars nowadays?
it's rough - i'm into 80s/90s JDM stuff. 240sx/ae86 bare shells are going for like $2500. clapped miatas are like $5k. miata hardtops alone are like $1500.

from my recent search looking for manual daily drivers - a decent shape 2017 GTI with 80k miles was still like $17k. i ended up going with a 5000 mile 22 corolla hatch as it was the last year they made it with a stick. was still $26k which is bananas.

but even as far as average dailies, the truck/SUV market has blown up so much in the states that the used market for, well anything else is really hot. there's not really a lot of decent older cars left in new england due to rust/rot as well. don't want to sound like a boomer but you used to see great, drivable cars on people's front lawns for like a grand all day long 10-15 years ago. now that's genuinely almost what you'll get in scrap value for anything with usable parts

i bought a 2012 top trim passat with the 3.6 v6 with 80k miles for like 8 grand in 2018 as an example. there's a 2012 middle trim level passat with the base engine with 100k miles still selling for $7k nearby today. 2007 rav4 with 110k miles is $9k.

if you're not clearing like $60k+ a year you're going to have to gamble a lot on FB marketplace on like 90s civics with 200k. if you're not able to work on your own car (and have the space to do so where you live) i'm not really sure how people are affording cars and rent around here. i drive an 86 ae86 corolla project car for fun when it's warm out. i'm not bill gates, but i'm decently well off. and even i genuinely considered just saying fuck it and driving a 40 year old car year round because of how expensive things are.