Car Enthusiast Thread

We had a Huracan Evo this past weekend. A big step over the bad LP610. Rear wheels steering is wild. New cars next year too. Can’t wait.

IMG_1233.jpeg
IMG_1234.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1230.jpeg
    IMG_1230.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1237.jpeg
    IMG_1237.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1244.jpeg
    IMG_1244.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1247.jpeg
    IMG_1247.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1250.jpeg
    IMG_1250.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1245.jpeg
    IMG_1245.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 3

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You think you business will carry over to the EV market? A ferrari is still a ferrari, but Jetson sounds don't really get the heart racing like exploding petroleum.

You think you business will carry over to the EV market? A ferrari is still a ferrari, but Jetson sounds don't really get the heart racing like exploding petroleum.
Maybe not but who knows. Electric cars do not excite me. Sure the tech is great but has the same value and response as the latest cell phone. Disposable after 3 years. The Future of cars is bleak, souless eggs that you summon with your phone to take you driver-less to where ever your next destination will be free of traffic as each car talks to one another. Your 12 year old will be mobile and not need rides anywhere as he can do the same. DWI's will be over and cops will need to find a new way to arrest or tax you since there will be no driving infractions and no way for a cop to search you unless you are on a "list". So yeah I'll keep my 01 Lightning with a 2.9 Whipple on it or my IX MR with a BB Red or Abarth or Soon to be Hellcat as I bring my kids to school. I will die on this hill.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's a bit pessimistic. It hasn't quite happened yet but Porsche, BMW or something will figure out the right recipe eventually to make a nice, fun EV without it being a 3 ton barge or have such little capacity that you can't run it at track. Then after a bit it will trickle to other manufacturers. Just because Tesla doesn't know or care what good driver feel is doesn't mean others don't.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Your 12 year old will be mobile and not need rides anywhere as he can do the same. DWI's will be over and cops will need to find a new way to arrest or tax you since there will be no driving infractions and no way for a cop to search you unless you are on a "list".
Sounds great to me. I really like our EV, a lot. Instant torque is just absolutely fantastic and it's hard to go back to ICE after that. No denying ICE has more character and the sound my 991 made was absolutely intoxicating.

That's a bit pessimistic. It hasn't quite happened yet but Porsche, BMW or something will figure out the right recipe eventually to make a nice, fun EV without it being a 3 ton barge or have such little capacity that you can't run it at track. Then after a bit it will trickle to other manufacturers. Just because Tesla doesn't know or care what good driver feel is doesn't mean others don't.
I hear you but who will get excited for a Battery operated Lamborghini? Needs V12 or V10. Hyrbid OK bring it but pure sport is an engine. It lives and breathes. Need that. Think Porsche 911 GT3 RS, now take away it's titanium engine. #nothanks.

Sounds great to me. I really like our EV, a lot. Instant torque is just absolutely fantastic and it's hard to go back to ICE after that. No denying ICE has more character and the sound my 991 made was absolutely intoxicating.
Correct, zero passion. Just a souless egg. Nothing there for enthusiasts or any character.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
When that battery powered Lambo does a quarter mile in 8 seconds I'm sure it will be plenty exciting.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
This video sums it up perfectly

The beginning is really well done. The way the Tesla plaid just absolutely trounces the other cars is really interesting.

But have no fear, they conclude that the Blackwing is where it's at because it's just so much more fun.

When that battery powered Lambo does a quarter mile in 8 seconds I'm sure it will be plenty exciting.
Not really. Especially to the modded croud going way faster and being much lighter. I get it's the future but a car needs to be a complete package not a one trick pony.

This video sums it up perfectly

The beginning is really well done. The way the Tesla plaid just absolutely trounces the other cars is really interesting.

But have no fear, they conclude that the Blackwing is where it's at because it's just so much more fun.
Oh yes say that. I'll Take the M5, hadles WAY better and some mods make it Plaid fast or faster.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I’ve got a 2012 Forester and had the rear brakes done in January this year and the fronts done in May. Just had it in for tire rotation and there’s a note for upcoming maintenance on my bill that says the brakes are at 50%. The fuck is this shit!? At that rate I’ll need a brake change every 12-18 months which to me is unheard of. I don’t drive a lot of miles, ride the brakes or mash on them to stop quick.

I’ve yet to call the shop on this but I’m going to. Spend $800 on them and I’m used to doing a brake job every 4-5 years. Something has to be up with this, and I’m going to find out what.

lol. Watch the first oh 5 minutes.
Yeah I see, only 627 HP in the BMW and trap speeds of 130 MPH. Telsa is 156 so the BMW would need at least 800WHP to keep up. Not hard to do on a CS which is also 1000 pounds LIGHTER than a Tesla who would melt its brakes by lap 2 or 3. The suspension ad build quality is light years ahead of the Tesla as well.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Yeah I see, only 627 HP in the BMW and trap speeds of 130 MPH. Telsa is 156 so the BMW would need at least 800WHP to keep up. Not hard to do on a CS which is also 1000 pounds LIGHTER than a Tesla who would melt its brakes by lap 2 or 3. The suspension ad build quality is light years ahead of the Tesla as well.
The real stat here is torque. Something the Tesla (which hasn't changed in 10 years mind you) has in spades. Hell, my Niro EV is faster than my 911 from 0-30. Hell, a LOT faster. But it was also naturally aspirated so not surprising.

I'm no EV fan. I just see things for what they are.

The real stat here is torque. Something the Tesla (which hasn't changed in 10 years mind you) has in spades. Hell, my Niro EV is faster than my 911 from 0-30. Hell, a LOT faster. But it was also naturally aspirated so not surprising.

I'm no EV fan. I just see things for what they are.
Yeah instant torque form an Ev then it falls off, a properly sorted V8 holds it flat once boost hits but I see your point. That M5 would need the boost turned of and a Straight pipe it would need another 250 WHP to hang in a straight but it is withing a SECOND of the Tesla with basically half the HP (Tesla is 1000 WHP while the M5 is probably 550 wheel after loses from 627 Crank).

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Yeah instant torque form an Ev then it falls off, a properly sorted V8 holds it flat once boost hits but I see your point. That M5 would need teh boost turned of and a Straight pipe it would need another 250 WHP to hang in a straight but it is withing a SECOND of the Tesla with basically half the HP (Tesla is 1000 WHP while the M5 is probably 550 wheel after loses from 627 Crank).

For sure, the M5 could be made a lot faster. It will be interesting how much faster EVs can get and how much better they can handle too going forward.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
The switch to EV is going to be faster than people want. The benefits outweigh the negatives.

For one.... how many things can go wrong with this? Look at this monstrosity. It's not peak engineering. It's a polished turd. 100 years of development, and that's what we get. The same gas mileage as a Model T with a lifespan of 10-15 years at best.
s-l1600.jpg

For sure, the M5 could be made a lot faster. It will be interesting how much faster EVs can get and how much better they can handle too going forward.

Once they switch to a graphene, which would be a fraction of the weight and be fully chargable in 15 mins or less, then yeah that would be it essentially. The Lithium batteries are finicky and lose life after years and hate the cold. Graphene would have none of that.

Read Here: https://www.azonano.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6233

One issue that lithium-ion battery continues to have is safety. The liquid contained within a lithium-ion battery is highly flammable. Any damage to the battery's outer layers can result in a short circuit, leading to fire and explosion. lithium-ion batteries used in electric vehicles have received an extensive cooling system. However, this cooling system takes up lots of space that could be utilized for energy storage and of course weight.

Graphene is a one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms with a relative surface area of 2,630 m2/g, which is superior at storing charges with almost no degradation over long-term cycling. The bonds in graphene give graphene more than four times the tensile strength of steel while being super transparent, flexible, and an excellent conductor of electricity and heat. These properties make graphene a suitable candidate for not only battery but also supercapacitor.

Last edited:
The switch to EV is going to be faster than people want. The benefits outweigh the negatives.

For one.... how many things can go wrong with this? Look at this monstrosity. It's not peak engineering. It's a polished turd. 100 years of development, and that's what we get. The same gas mileage as a Model T with a lifespan of 10-15 years at best.
View attachment 69268

If you know what you are looking at it's extremely modern and reliable and compact. Also a metric fuck ton lighter than EV and can be filled with gas in seconds for long trips.

Well we need an infrastructure to charge these batteries. Right now L.A. can't do it and tell people to only charge on certain days. Next stop will be the Government sending "Updates" to your car to PREVENT it driving or charging on certain days similar to gas rationing and license plate numbers. If we had constant nuclear power which makes power constantly night and day with ZERO C02 then you have more positives than negatives. Also to MINE for the batteries is extremely messy a pollution filled.

Graphene Battery + Nuclear Grid = undefeatable.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Once they switch to a graphenewhich would be a fraction of the weight and be fully chargable in 15 mins or less then yeah that would be it essentially. The Lithium batteries are finicky and lose life after years and hate the cold. Graphene would have none of that.
It will be really interesting where things are in like 20 years, maybe less. Lithium is also hard to get, which puts a bottleneck on things too

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Read Here: https://www.azonano.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6233

One issue that lithium-ion battery continues to have is safety. The liquid contained within a lithium-ion battery is highly flammable. Any damage to the battery's outer layers can result in a short circuit, leading to fire and explosion. lithium-ion batteries used in electric vehicles have received an extensive cooling system. However, this cooling system takes up lots of space that could be utilized for energy storage and of course weight.

Graphene is a one-atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms with a relative surface area of 2,630 m2/g, which is superior at storing charges with almost no degradation over long-term cycling. The bonds in graphene give graphene more than four times the tensile strength of steel while being super transparent, flexible, and an excellent conductor of electricity and heat. These properties make graphene a suitable candidate for not only battery but also supercapacitor.

This article is like listening to Trump talk about how he lost the election. Or how masks trap CO2 next to your face. There are arguments to be made, and then there's lazy people with fear mongering. Flammable? Do they not realize how gasoline works? or that billions of people have lithium in their pockets without any concern of a fire.

Batteries are heavy, but everything else is just so exaggerated.
They drive fine in the cold unless you are in the artic circle where ICE also need warmers. They charge fast to 85%. The cooling system is more compact than ICE. They are less flammable than....gasoline.

I'm very curious how our infrastructure will change in 20 years. Will gas stations turn into 15-20 minute cafe's? How will the middle east handle the decrease in demand for Oil?

Once they switch to a graphenewhich would be a fraction of the weight and be fully chargable in 15 mins or less then yeah that would be it essentially. The Lithium batteries are finicky and lose life after years and hate th
This article is like listening to Trump talk about how he lost the election. Or how masks trap CO2 next to your face. There are arguments to be made, and then there's lazy people with fear mongering. Flammable? Do they not realize how gasoline works? or that billions of people have lithium in their pockets without any concern of a fire.

Batteries are heavy, but everything else is just so exaggerated.
They drive fine in the cold unless you are in the artic circle where ICE also need warmers. They charge fast to 85%. The cooling system is more compact than ICE. They are less flammable than....gasoline.

I'm very curious how our infrastructure will change in 20 years. Will gas stations turn into 15-20 minute cafe's? How will the middle east handle the decrease in demand for Oil?

Not everything is about Trump and the election. Let's leave TDS out of this EV conversation.

What cannot be disputed is the environmental impact mining for lithium has on the planet and the lack of ability or a grid to mass charge cars as the grid cannot support it without a vast and continuous upgrade (Like Nuclear).

South America's 'lithium fields' reveal the dark side of our electric future

California is already asking people to limit charging and in turn limiting transportation and on a car that takes mobile updates from satellite the government can limit of that car tuns on or when it can charge.

California is the first state to make electric cars mandatory. Now it’s telling owners not to charge them

Amid Heat Wave, California Asks Electric Vehicle Owners to Limit Charging

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Not everything is about Trump and the election. Let's leave TDS out of this EV conversation.

What cannot be disputed is the environmental impact mining for lithium has on the planet and the lack of ability or a grid to mass charge cars as the grid cannot support it without a vast and continuous upgrade (Like Nuclear).
This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Lithium mining is bad" is a dismissive argument. Are people really suggesting that mining a renewable resource is better than pumping a literal ocean of Oil out of the ground?

Are people really this naïve?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Lithium mining is bad" is a dismissive argument. Are people really suggesting that mining a renewable resource is better than pumping a literal ocean of Oil out of the ground?

Are people really this naïve?

I think it is naive to dismiss what amounts to modern day slavery in the Congo to mine this stuff, Cobalt too. Millions of trees have been cut down in addition to water polution. Cobalt is used in the manufacture of almost all lithium ion rechargeable batteries used in the world today. There's complete cross-contamination between industrial excavator-derived cobalt and cobalt dug by women and children with their bare hands. Industrial mines, almost all of them, have artisanal miners working, digging in and around them, feeding cobalt into the formal supply chain. So we are transitioning this pollution and slave labor to poor and undeveloped nations.

How 'modern-day slavery' in the Congo powers the rechargeable battery economy

Imagine an entire population of people who cannot survive without scrounging in hazardous conditions for a dollar or two a day. There is no alternative there. The mines have taken over everything. Hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced because their villages were just bulldozed over to make place for large mining concessions. So you have people with no alternative, no other source of income, no livelihood. Now, add to that the menace in many cases of armed forces pressuring people to dig, parents having to make a painful decision, 'Do I send my child to school or do we eat today?' And if they choose the latter, that means bringing all their kids into these toxic pits to dig just to earn that extra fifty cents or a dollar a day, that could mean the difference between eating or not. So in the 21st century, this is modern-day slavery. It's not chattel slavery from the 18th century where you can buy and trade people and own title over a person like property. But the level of degradation, the level of exploitation is on par with old-world slavery.

We here in the States can make all the oil we need with out infrastructure and be the worlds largest oil producer. It's a boom for the middle class and working class and lowers the cost of everything the way that cutting a dollar or two off a gallon of gas only can.

Again I point out that without a tremendous power source, like 30 or so more Nuclear power plants, the grid CANNOT support it and it already stuggles as I just posted above with an article by the NYT'. The additional environmental cost of transporting these batteries results in a higher carbon footprint than ICE vehicles. A 2021 study comparing EV and ICE emissions found that 46% of EV carbon emissions come from the production process while for an ICE vehicle, they 'only' account for 26% .

In India, batteries contain some combination of lithium, cobalt, and nickel. Currently, India does not have enough lithium reserves to produce batteries and it thereby relies on importing lithium-ion batteries from China.

Mining these materials, however, has a high environmental cost, a factor that inevitably makes the EV manufacturing process more energy intensive than that of an ICE vehicle. The environmental impact of battery production comes from the toxic fumes released during the mining process and the water-intensive nature of the activity.

Almost 4 tonnes of CO2 are released during the production process of a single electric car and, in order to break even, the vehicle must be used for at least 8 years to offset the initial emissions by 0.5 tonnes of prevented emissions annually.

So I absolutely stand by truncated statement of "Lithium mining is bad" and RENEWABLE is also a slave labor enterprise of chidren digging through garbage dumps to get those metals back.