Car Enthusiast Thread

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Does anyone have any experience with a GM supercharged 3800 V6? I might have a chance to get a 2004 Grand Prix GTP cheap from a family member, its got a little over half of the miles of my current car, so as long as I'm not looking at a bunch of huge issues coming up around the 120k mile mark, it might be worth it.

Only thing I can tell you is the water inlet/outlet "hoses" are plastic & prone to break.
A new set is about $10 for the pair but they are a bitch to do.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would drive that truck Smokehouse, and I'm definitely not a truck person.

Those tires look like they would make some road noise tho.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I would drive that truck Smokehouse, and I'm definitely not a truck person.

Those tires look like they would make some road noise tho.

Funny enough...not much at all. A very slight bit of whine at 60+ mph but that's it. Being in the trade! I know many people with jacked trucks/jeeps and I can tell you, those tires are nothing compared to actual MT tires...holy cow, those are loud on pavement.

I was more worried about ride quality given the toyo's are a 10-ply LT rated tire and the stockers were passenger rated...but nope...just about the same there too.

I'm curious to see what they do in the snow, the stockers were crap.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Bringing this back to the front as I'm still in the market for a car or two. I ended up finally donating the Mark VIII as I just didn't have the space to store it or drive it. Still ran like a dream. in hindsight, I should have dropped it off at a car auctioneer. The donation doesnt do shit for my taxes as a single white male. The donation company just has an auctioneer pick it up anyways.

I've almost given up looking for a decent 993 turbo as my mid life crisis. I find rust buckets and show room. I'd drop the money on a new Cayman GTS than a showroom 993.

RabbitTroop/Nruva still have his Super Seven?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Did a little bit of cornfield driving today LOL…

photo-3_zps0af3996d.jpg

photo-4_zpse522ebfd.jpg

photo-5_zps48168632.jpg

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Alright fellas, I need some help.

I have a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder and the car has been shaking/studdering like mad when making slow turns and sometimes just accelerating from a stop. It's gotten to the point where my wife is afraid to drive the damn thing.

I searched online and it looks like it is a CVT transmission issue...and a lot of Nissan owners are experiencing it and writing about online.

But unfortunately it looks like people are getting mixed results in getting this resolved. Some dealers are saying its normal, and are refusing to do anything about it or try and get you to reproduce the effect with them in the car...and other dealers are more helpful in working on fixing or replacing the transmission.

I am seeing my dealer on Saturday, and don't want it to be brushed off. I want it fixed and fixed ASAP. Any pointers on making sure I get it addressed, even if I can't reproduce the shaking when driving with them?

EDIT:
Bullshit this is happening on owning the damn car less than 1 year....

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
the easy solution is to never buy anything with a cvt transmission again.

for your specific problem- you need to hold the dealer accountable for the problem. take it as high up the food chain as you can. get it to happen before you go there with your camera phone recording so even if it does not happen at the dealer, you can show them.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
the easy solution is to never buy anything with a cvt transmission again.

for your specific problem- you need to hold the dealer accountable for the problem. take it as high up the food chain as you can. get it to happen before you go there with your camera phone recording so even if it does not happen at the dealer, you can show them.

Good idea, I'll record it while driving around tonight/tomorrow.

When I made the appointment, I didn't know it was a transmission issue (I figured that out afterward). I wonder if I should call them back and let them know.

I've also read to make sure that it is documented that they are looking at the transmission when I go there on the invoice. I am going for my 15,000 service, but I guess I need to have that listed as well in case it becomes a safety/lemon law issue. I don't know anything about this crap, argh.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Just remember your dealer does not = Nissan. If they fuck you around, go to another dealership. I had to do that with a Pontiac I had. Get the issue on record, get paperwork with your claim. Look up your state's lemon laws too...a buyback is not uncommon if you have to go down that road...but states differ.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Just remember your dealer does not = Nissan. If they fuck you around, go to another dealership. I had to do that with a Pontiac I had. Get the issue on record, get paperwork with your claim. Look up your state's lemon laws too...a buyback is not uncommon if you have to go down that road...but states differ.

Thanks, yeah I just read that as well. Every time I take it in for a transmission issue, to make sure it is documented as a transmission issue. This time will be tricky since technically I am going for my 15k service, but maybe I will give them a call tomorrow to let them know there is a transmission problem as well.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Alright fellas, I need some help.

I have a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder and the car has been shaking/studdering like mad when making slow turns and sometimes just accelerating from a stop. It's gotten to the point where my wife is afraid to drive the damn thing.

I searched online and it looks like it is a CVT transmission issue...and a lot of Nissan owners are experiencing it and writing about online.

But unfortunately it looks like people are getting mixed results in getting this resolved. Some dealers are saying its normal, and are refusing to do anything about it or try and get you to reproduce the effect with them in the car...and other dealers are more helpful in working on fixing or replacing the transmission.

I am seeing my dealer on Saturday, and don't want it to be brushed off. I want it fixed and fixed ASAP. Any pointers on making sure I get it addressed, even if I can't reproduce the shaking when driving with them?

EDIT:
Bullshit this is happening on owning the damn car less than 1 year....

That sounds similar to either a powertrain issue (CVT trans on the 2014 model) or the computer software on the trans needs to be reflashed.

Do yourself a favor, get the tech to drive with you as you replicate the issue. On older Nissan models, they extended the CVT warranty up to 10 years/120k. There is no current recall for your model, but there are a shit ton of people that experience the same issue across different models. I've only experienced it driving a new Murano with 500 or so miles.

I would also point them towards lemonlaw.com, carcomplaints.com or the other sites that document potential NHTSA issues.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thank OMFG, all good points. Yeah, I just checked the MA Lemon Law info, and it appears I am still covered since I have not yet owned the car for a year and have not done 15,000 miles yet...

I bought it 12/31/13 and have put about 10k miles on it (it already had 5k when I bought it), so I am close to exceeding the period for lemon law, but just made it within the time frame thankfully.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
The more I read up on this issue, it looks like it may be a torque converter issue within the CVT. I would bring it in before the holiday season and have then foot the bill for a similar temporary vehicle for the meantime.

Seriously, be prepared to make some phone calls in the interim. While the vehicle is being repaired, call up the regional office and tell them the repair invoice number, the VIN, everything. If you have a recording of the vehicle doing the shutter, let them know that you have it. There are a few videos on youtube on this as well. Don't be shy in publicly documenting it.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I've had a few cars with these character flaws. If you let the dealership dick you around, you will eventually learn to live with it, and that's how they win.
There are lots of cars with these issues, and you hear very similar stories from the dealerships. The problem is that it takes far too long for someone to start up a class action lawsuit. You need it fixed now.

Now, it could be something simply like an unbalanced wheel/tire. Does the steering wheel shake, or does the whole car shake? If it just shakes under brakes, then you prolly have a warped rotor.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thanks Neosneth, the whole car shakes, it feels like it is jumping/skipping/studdering. It lasts for a few seconds. It happens when accelerating, usually from a stop position. I noticed it when turning, but my wife said it has happened even when driving straight and on a small incline.

I did a lot of reading up on this yesterday and this seems symptoms definitely point to the CVT transmission. There are a couple of proposed solutions that some people have experienced with Nissan.

Software upgrade that somehow fixes the issue (don't ask me how)
Repairing the cvt transmission
Replacing the cvt transmission
Getting a new pathfinder
Getting Nissan to buy back the car

I'm not letting this go until I get one of these things. Like some folks said, I'm just going to be a pain in the a$$ (something I'm very good at), and go up the food chain until something gets fixed. This was the most money I spent on a car, and I sure as hell won't accept it jumping and sputtering. Plus, its my wife's car and she drives my daughter around everywhere in that...so I have safety concerns.

I have little faith in my Nissan dealer since after the deal was signed to buy the car, I thought to ask for some all season mats, and the guy absolutely refused...literally moments after I just bought the car. But like Smokehouse said, if these guys dick me around there are at least 4 or 5 other dealers I can go to.

Thanks again everyone, I feel better now but still want this resolved asap.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Well just a little update...this has been very frustrating. On Friday night when I got home from work I drove and the shudder happened 3 times just in 1 drive...all of which I recorded on video.

I took the car for service on Saturday and after being at dealership for 3 hours they said the technician could not replicate the problem. I said I will leave the car there, but they did not have a loaner and asked me to come back on Monday.

So I went back on Monday and dropped off the car, and they gave me a Altima as a loaner (which was not ideal since I have a family with a baby and it is very tiny), but that is fine.

They called me today (Tuesday) and said they are still not able to replicate the problem and asked me to pick up the car. This is very strange since the shudder happens pretty much every time we use the car, at least 1 if not more times. I am at work tonight and wont get home until after they close, and they will be closed tomorrow and Thursday for Christmas, so I will go back on Saturday (I have to work on Friday as well).

I guess now I have to drive around with the technician on Saturday until it happens again, and if it doesn't then I have to take the car back. This is very frustrating. I fear this back and forth can go on for quite awhile. I asked them that even though I showed the shudder video to them, shouldn't that help them diagnose the problem, but he said no, Nissan will not authorize any repair at all unless the technician experiences it themselves.

I've been posting on a Nissan owner forum too, so hopefully I will get this resolved or some good advice. But this has been a colossal pain in the ass...worst car experience ever. I bought this car because my mom has a maxima and a great experience with it, but this pathfinder is garbage. If it is giving these problems in less than 1 year, hate to think what will happen in the future.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well just a little update...this has been very frustrating. On Friday night when I got home from work I drove and the shudder happened 3 times just in 1 drive...all of which I recorded on video.

I took the car for service on Saturday and after being at dealership for 3 hours they said the technician could not replicate the problem. I said I will leave the car there, but they did not have a loaner and asked me to come back on Monday.

So I went back on Monday and dropped off the car, and they gave me a Altima as a loaner (which was not ideal since I have a family with a baby and it is very tiny), but that is fine.

They called me today (Tuesday) and said they are still not able to replicate the problem and asked me to pick up the car. This is very strange since the shudder happens pretty much every time we use the car, at least 1 if not more times. I am at work tonight and wont get home until after they close, and they will be closed tomorrow and Thursday for Christmas, so I will go back on Saturday (I have to work on Friday as well).

I guess now I have to drive around with the technician on Saturday until it happens again, and if it doesn't then I have to take the car back. This is very frustrating. I fear this back and forth can go on for quite awhile. I asked them that even though I showed the shudder video to them, shouldn't that help them diagnose the problem, but he said no, Nissan will not authorize any repair at all unless the technician experiences it themselves.

I've been posting on a Nissan owner forum too, so hopefully I will get this resolved or some good advice. But this has been a colossal pain in the ass...worst car experience ever. I bought this car because my mom has a maxima and a great experience with it, but this pathfinder is garbage. If it is giving these problems in less than 1 year, hate to think what will happen in the future.

I hate to say it...but this is pretty much the same all over. Most modern cars are pretty reliable...but get a bad one and good god, you're on your own. I've heard horror stories from about every automaker around. I know I've had a few myself. Sorry to hear about this...it really sucks.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thanks smokehouse, I am going to get this resolved one way or another...but just looks like it is going to be a colossal pain in the ass...which is the last thing I needed on top of work, school and family life....blah

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Thanks smokehouse, I am going to get this resolved one way or another...but just looks like it is going to be a colossal pain in the ass...which is the last thing I needed on top of work, school and family life....blah

And it will get resolved...it always does. The problem isn't "if", its "when". It is always just a huge time-suck is all...

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The further away from it I get, the better I think the "New Edge" 99-04 Mustangs look. Much better than the subsequent retro look does.

2003_00007_01.jpg

Too bad they didn't make the Mach 1 in a convertible.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
It's a mustang. There will be fans of every generation.
I actually think the modern retro style is very well done.

I've lost track of all the special editions though. My friend had a Bullet that was pretty slick.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

Any joy on this one yet? I had an issue that sounds similar on a range rover just recently - turned out to be a faulty torque converter.

Try this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/vehicle-maintenance/how-to-test-torque-converter.htm

It warns that the test in itself can fuck the transmission sometimes, but if it's under warranty and they're still dragging their heels about getting it sorted then sometimes you need to just start trying shit out.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The further away from it I get, the better I think the "New Edge" 99-04 Mustangs look. Much better than the subsequent retro look does.

2003_00007_01.jpg

Too bad they didn't make the Mach 1 in a convertible.

Also…to drive one was to love one.

The car had enough "grit" to still feel like a muscle car.

The problem was that I passed on the perfect Mustang…the one you pictured.

I had an '01 GT…which was the "premium" package which almost always came with an auto trans. It was a dog…the transmission was plain stupid. Always second guessing you, never holding gears long enough, never down shifting when you wanted it to. Mate to that a mediocre 260hp and it really wasn't all that fun. I jumped right from that to a 2003 Cobra…which was an insanity machine. In my opinion, it was just too much. Too damn fast, too hard to control and all of that horsepower on that IRS made for a car that seemed like it wanted to flat out kill you when you punched it.

As for my regret, I remember the day like it was yesterday. Late 2005 and I had a clear cut choice. I was driving down a road and if I took one off ramp, I could go to a local dealership that had a pewter 2003 Mach 1 manual with high teens milage on it, if my memory serves me correctly, they wanted low $20K's for it…something like $21,995.

The other off ramp was the white 2003 Cobra which I know for a fact was $24,995. High 20K milage.

Having never driven a Mach 1 and knowing the Cobra was the king of the hill…I went for the SVT. The previous owner had the thing dyno tuned after adding an overdrive pulley and K&N intake, and had a short throw B&M shifter installed. Long story short, the car was just not enjoyable to drive. Even on Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 tires, it would just melt them off. In town driving was a 1st to 6th gear shifting deal and again…that insanity IRS…good god.

As some here know…I kept the car only a few months and traded it in on a '04 GTO 6-speed. Save the mechanical issues with the car that would force my hand in trading it come 2008, the car was predictable, controllable and fun to drive.

Back in 2010 I had the chance to drive a red 2004 Mach 1. The car was a bit rough and had an obnoxious exhaust system on it but it functioned well. I took the car out and thrashed on it and it was a blast to drive…so much in fact that I immediately wished I had opted for it back in 2005 over the Cobra. Oh well…life is life and you win some, you lose some I guess.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member

I arrived at the same conclusion back in 2012(?)
I was working out east on a bridge, money was coming in quick and every day I would drive past this mean-as-fuck looking stang that I can only assume was dolled up to look like an SVT-R....since actual SVT-Rs only came in red, they were a bit slower than vipers..... and they still go for about 50 grand (this one was 14.5k).

stang_zps79c265a6.jpg
It was just about perfect though....except for the wing type spoiler, which I fucking hated. Everything else I loved; like the high hood and the side pipes (which actually looked better than the ones you find on the SVT)