Billy Pit releases new photos of Ghostlop; the proof is in the pudding!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
digger man isnt real.

its hacked homebrew bullshit.

why do people always bring that shit up???

seriously, dump teh roms, sell the cart, and then release the roms. you get all your money, and you got da roms for everybody.

but some people are just too selfish

buster_broon

The Rock,
does it come with a mini marquee????

sorry only joking

anyway i would like to say thanks to Mr Pit for sharing this with us and if i had the money i would certainly buy it

but i also agree that it shouldnt be dumped - ever

**buster watches the romzzzz whores get furious**

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
sonic1687:
digger man isnt real.

its hacked homebrew bullshit.

why do people always bring that shit up???

seriously, dump teh roms, sell the cart, and then release the roms. you get all your money, and you got da roms for everybody.

but some people are just too selfish
Perhaps that's a lil' too harsh. If there would be absolutely NO risk of getting sued, it could be considered selfish and greedy not to share it in some way or another, but in the light of Playmore's recent legal activities, chances are that the finder (Billy) would be in big trouble if he'd dump it. His name is kinda written on this proto, so he would be the first to hear from Playmore should a rom of it show up somewhere.

Still, it's sad that we gamers prolly won't get a chance to play this rare find due to all these legal issues.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Wait... since when have roms been legal? How is this anything new... say I was to get the cart... I'd dump it in a second, I just paid $3500 for something that is all socketed EPROMs, sure as hell I would dump that thing, the bitrot is almost promised on that cart!

And say, somehow, these roms got leaked to a newgroup or a hotline site... trace them back to me! Prove I generated the dump... how would they know it was me? Why not assume it was someone else who owned the cart... I mean, anyone can unplug the chip and read it!

Sorry, I don't see the problem. For me, I would do it simply because I know the game will die, not if it will die. Loosing $3500!?! Shit, I am trying to convery Iron Clad from CD to MVS... Do you know what I get paid an hour at my job? At this point it is worth way more then $3500 in lost sleep/time... And I don't even have an original cart to resell later if I want!

The argument is weak... If you don't want it dumped for fear of monetary loss (something you bring up over and over), then don't dump it, but don't say it is because of fear of Playmore's wrath,

-Nick

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
nruva Wait...
Nick, let me please second all your statements. no one will be forced to include a ***.nfo file, like the ones of the major warez groups. wink

btw : are you guys that sure, that the previous owner doesn't have the files on his hdd?

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Daisuke Jigen:
SuperGun:
Daisuke Jigen:
Billy, It's only impossible to dump it now with your name attached to it for prosperity.

But, you're doing the same thing you whined about Arcade doing with his protos. Instead of doing what would truely be in the interest of the community, you're looking for money.

If you just want everyone to love you, let it happen naturally. Telling us about how selfless you are while asking for 3500 to make back what you spent doesn't quite paint the image of the "Neo Proto Savior" you seem to want to portray.

Someone argue with me on this issue, I'm bored.
I won't argue with you on this issue, but I will debate it with you. On your first point, yeap, your right, my name is highly associated with this. And it is because I wanted it to be. I won't lie, I am weak when it comes to getting my 15 minutes. It's something I really enjoy and take pleasure in.
However what you say is not completely true, because once I sell it, it is no longer my item and so if/when it gets sold again and resold again and even eventually dumped, it will have nothing to do with me or my name.

On your second point, the arcade angle, first off Ray Young hasn't shared JACK SHIT. Where are HIS full spread screenshots of pair pair wars? Furthermore, again, broken record, how am I "looking for money"? I am "looking to GET MY MONEY BACK"! Don't you get it?
Had this item popped up by anyone else and anywhere else, such as where I MYSELF got it, then what you would have told that person the same thing?! I MYSELF was just prior to this the buyer! Only NOW am I the seller.

As for your last point, I don't know if being a savior is something that I should be considered, but I sure as hell am not the bad guy here!
I happen to be the guy that got the game. I am someplace in the middle. Not the best, not the worse.
A WORSE person (like Ray or Larry!) could have been the guy and then we would have NO INFO, SCREENSHOTS & REVIEW, plus the game would never even have a chance at getting bought for it would sit on a shelf forever and never be sold!
A BETTER person (like WHO?!...I ask now SHOW YOURSELF!) could have been the guy and then he would have bought the game with his own money, and then thrown his money away by giving it for free to the EMU community. yeap, a real savior!

Now your ONLY recourse to this is "claiming" that there is a guy who would do this...and guess what! ok, fine! PROVE IT! This is very easy to do because all that has to happen is that guy has to buy the game from me and do just that! (throw his own money away to be a "hero".

Does it all make sense yet to you?
It's very easy to say this and say that, but it's quite different to do this and do that.
Let me see YOU spend YOUR money and be that "best" guy hero savior.
spock
Billy Pitt
Money talks.

I'm glad you "saved" this game from the depths of obscurity. I really am. But if you're only looking to get a few shots of the ROM chips, and you standing next to your cab with the game running in attract mode, all it does is prove that you're only in it for noteriety. Selling it to someone else is only going to let it sit in someones safe, or glass cabinet. Those re-writeable ROMS won't last forever sitting in someones den. You're no better than Larry Bassin.

Data East, as far as I can tell from searching the web, was bought out by Sega in 1995. Unless Sega cares about the IP, then Playmore has nothing on you.

Sit on it, let it die. I dare you.
I'm on the same side of the fence as Daisuke here.

Billy, I seriously misunderstood your claims from a few months ago when you were bashing Bassin and Young. I had the crazy notion that you were going to make sure that these game could be played by everyone. Well, that doesn't look like the case.

I guess I can understand that the price you paid was too high for you, and you're going to have to compromise your ideals. It happens to the best of them, I guess.

MeanBeanMachine

Crazed MVS Addict
AFAIK SNK produced the carts, no matter who made the actual game. Thus playmore 0wnz your ass should yopu dump it. For those who whine around now: buy the goddamn game and dump the roms. Just go and fucking do it, it's up for sale. Prove to be the saviors you try to make yourselves out to be and not some freeloader who wants Th3 R0mz. oh_no

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
MeanBeanMachine:
AFAIK SNK produced the carts, no matter who made the actual game. Thus playmore 0wnz your ass should yopu dump it. For those who whine around now: buy the goddamn game and dump the roms. Just go and fucking do it, it's up for sale. Prove to be the saviors you try to make yourselves out to be and not some freeloader who wants Th3 R0mz. oh_no
Bah.

Dumping proto games isn't 'freeloading'.

I don't know about your idea of preserving lost games, but I sure as hell know that shelling out $3500 for a proto game with only one existing copy doesn't help shit if the game code itself rests on a cart with socketed eproms that will be dead in a couple of years.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
no one has ever been arrested or sued for dumping roms - but distributing yes.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
the reason DA ROMZ exist in the first place is for preservation.

youre an arcade operator, o shit one of the rom checksums failed. hop on your pc in the back room, and burn a new one.

say that happens to ghost lop. oh shit whatere you gonna do now? play puzzle bobble?

Pro_Gear

Another,
20 Year Member
Perhaps an organized effort to raise money to purchase and properly preserve this game is in order...

NeoGoaT

Mickey's Coach
A very exciting discovery, congratulations to Mr Pitt. I've been aware of his frantic quest for protos for a few years and I'm glad to see it wasn't in vain. The game must be dumped for preservation reasons in case of flood, fire, act of god etc but purely from an ethical point of view no-one but the prototype owner has any right to play/own it. It's exactly the same as downloading and using roms from games you don't own that got a full release. Even if Data East are dead and gone, you can be sure someone took over the rights to Ghostlop. Let's not kid ourselves here.

Of course if it gets dumped and leaked I'll be d/loading that badboy within seconds of it hitting the 'net. And I'll have my production line of grumpy Leprechauns knocking out AES versions NGF-Zupapa style by the end of the week at $750 a pop wink

nruva:
Shit, I am trying to convert Iron Clad from CD to MVS...
Triple cool :cool: :cool: :cool:

chamane

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
SuperGun:
NeoLord
Billy just sent a new picture with his name written on today's newspaper to prove once and for all that this is for real.
Just to update everyone here, this entire thread was started SOLELY because Chris Ray called my bluff on the Neo-Geo ML. He challenged me to prove that I own the proto through a select series of pictures.

Hi Billy,I do not manage to send you an e-mail...It is unavailable...Please,contact me as I can make you a solid offer.
Please,e-mail me soon.
Best regards,
Chamane.
I just want to make sure that everybody here realizes that THIS (as well as the full spread and review I posted prior to this) is the PROPER and PROFESSIONAL way to BACK UP a "claim" of having a proto.

Keep this in mind the next time some SAP claims to have something and provides either NOTHING but words or 1 or 2 fuzzy or faked pictures.

oh_no shame oh_no
wink
Billy Pitt [/QB]

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
waku7:
I don't understand how it would be "throwing your money away" to get the roms dumped. I don't think the proto would lose its value, if anything its value might increase.

====> If game is dumped, you can burn eproms, and make another proto
Sir you are wrong. As far as we know there is only one proto of this game. Just because people can burn the eproms and slap them on a cart doesnt mean they will have the original proto too. Mr. Pitts cart will retain its value because it is the original.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Lagduf:
waku7:
I don't understand how it would be "throwing your money away" to get the roms dumped. I don't think the proto would lose its value, if anything its value might increase.

Sir you are wrong. As far as we know there is only one proto of this game. Just because people can burn the eproms and slap them on a cart doesnt mean they will have the original proto too. Mr. Pitts cart will retain its value because it is the original.
Hmmm, but here is something that will blow your mind... is it really the original?

-Nick

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
nruva:
Lagduf:
waku7:

Hmmm, but here is something that will blow your mind... is it really the original?

-Nick
Ahh that is true :) However I trust that Mr. Pitt has found one of the original protos of the game.

Edit: Oh and good luck on your neo cd -> mvs project nick!

<small>[ May 12, 2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Lagduf ]</small>

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
Takumaji:
Bah.

Dumping proto games isn't 'freeloading'.

I don't know about your idea of preserving lost games, but I sure as hell know that shelling out $3500 for a proto game with only one existing copy doesn't help shit if the game code itself rests on a cart with socketed eproms that will be dead in a couple of years.
Is that what people are really worried about? Honestly?

I get the feeling that knowing this game is safely backed up on Billy's computer isn't the issue - people want it "backed up" on their computer too.

If the dump is available to the public, anyone with the proper equipment can whip up a "proto" of their own, can they not? People argue that the value of Billy's cart won't take a hit if the roms are available - is there something I'm missing that would make this cart totally unique from copies that could be made? These don't appear to be special eproms or anything...

If I'm wrong, please do let me know. But based on what I think I know, it doesn't seem any less selfish to ask Billy to sacrifice a few grand so everyone else can play. Unless he's loaded. wink

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
There are other protos that have been dumped, but not spread.

Remember when Billy got pissed off at Ray Young for not sharing his Pair Pair Wars (another unreleased puzzle game) - Of course Ray has the roms on his computer, safely dumped and perfect. The prototype is safe for posterity's sake.

But at the same time - IT'S STILL LOST!

And if Billy sells the game to Chamane, or some other collector who can't distribute the game properly, then what? IT WILL STILL BE LOST.

There is a proto that a very well respected member of the community has. It starts with a Z. It's dumped. If he wanted to make a dupe of it on MVS, he most certainly could, and maybe even has done so. I haven't played it, but I know it's in good hands. That's all I could hope for.

Protos I wish would enter the same hands include:
Warlocks of the Fates
Ironclad

MeanBeanMachine

Crazed MVS Addict
Remember when Billy got pissed off at Ray Young for not sharing his Pair Pair Wars (another unreleased puzzle game) - Of course Ray has the roms on his computer, safely dumped and perfect. The prototype is safe for posterity's sake.

And if Billy sells the game to Chamane, or some other collector who can't distribute the game properly, then what? IT WILL STILL BE LOST.
Give me Pulstar, Blazing Star and Twinkle Star Sprites Romz. I hear others own them and bought them but for me THEY ARE LOST! by your definition I should be eligible to get them for free. thank you.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
*sigh*

I am almost 100% positive this is not the only Ghost Lop cart. Lets take a trip back in time...

Late 1990s. Stinger Report says that Ghost Lop is being tested in about 10 japanese arcades. This is confirmed by several people.

Right there there is more than 5 carts - so that means they are out there, somewhere - whether it be w/ arcade ops, former SNK or Data East employees - who knows. But they are out there, unless they were destroyed.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
MeanBeanMachine:

Give me Pulstar, Blazing Star and Twinkle Star Sprites Romz. I hear others own them and bought them but for me THEY ARE LOST! by your definition I should be eligible to get them for free. thank you.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
MeanBeanMachine:

No one is stopping you from getting the roms. Go ahead. I won't stand in your way.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
MeanBeanMachine Give me Pulstar, Blazing Star and Twinkle Star Sprites Romz. I hear others own them and bought them but for me THEY ARE LOST! by your definition I should be eligible to get them for free. thank you.
bullshit.
they never tried to earn money by selling that game -> they didn't want our money -> it's their own fault

simple as that. smirk

<small>[ May 12, 2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: supergoose79 ]</small>