Better Call Saul !

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I watch this show but it's a struggle. We know the outcome, so it's very cringeworthy to watch him act normal. The lady is .....attractive.
You know he's going to ruin anything good going on.

nio

Cheng's Errand Boy
I like it even better than Braking Bad. Think Kim is perfect.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I enjoy the show quite a bit, but I feel like many scenes are dragged out considerably longer than they need to be. It makes me wonder if they have the whole story outlined and are stretching it out as much as possible.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Bump for season 3 :D

Mike & Gus Fring vs. Hector Salamanca? Fuck yes! Breaking Bad is back! :buttrock:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This week's episode was great. Gotta love the opening w/Hector and Don Eladio. I don't think Jimmy's situation w/his brother is what turns him into Saul. I imagine it happens later down the line when Mike gets more involved w/Gus and Jimmy gets mixed into that world.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
This series in general has been strong. I'm really really loving this season. Crazy that the down parts of the the episodes has been the Saul parts. Who'd have thought that would ever happen. Mike's drama is WAY more interesting.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah, I'm really enjoying season 3. Bringing Gus into the series was a great idea, because Saul and Mike are the only really interesting characters. Now there is a 3rd, and although we all know how it's going to end it's going to be a great ride watching it get there.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm unsure if I think this because I haven't watched BB in a while, but I'm finding this show to be equally as impressive as BB. Maybe I need to go rewatch it. Right now I'm finding all the characters in BCS to be very interesting. God how I hate Chuck. Is it bad that I hope he dies at some point?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I watch this show but it's a struggle. We know the outcome, so it's very cringeworthy to watch him act normal. The lady is .....attractive.
You know he's going to ruin anything good going on.
I think this is exactly why I'm liking S3 so much more than 2. Last season felt very tedious to me, so much so that I stopped watching altogether.

This year I thought what the heck and tried it again. It's much, much better now that Jimmy is very much sliding toward the dark side of things, and it's much more interesting to see Kim on a similar path. Chuck has become far more compelling, Mike still steals every episode, and Fring already has a similar level of depth as do all of the first four.

It's really good right now.

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
I'm unsure if I think this because I haven't watched BB in a while, but I'm finding this show to be equally as impressive as BB. Maybe I need to go rewatch it. Right now I'm finding all the characters in BCS to be very interesting. God how I hate Chuck. Is it bad that I hope he dies at some point?

I agree that I'm every bit as impressed by BCS.

Haven't started season 3 yet. I've been itching for it a little.

I love the slow pace of last season. It started escalating at just the right time.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I love the show...it's superb. It has all the emotional hi-low of the BB...but the overall tone is far lighter. I consumed season 1-2 and I'm waiting for 3 to end so I can just buy it and watch it all at once. Unlike other shit shows like TWD that runs well over $40/season...this BCS season 3 is $20.

...BTW...that pile of shit Chuck reminds me WAY too much of my fuck-all brother in law...including my shit business dealings with the asshole over a span of 16 years. I despise the motherfucker.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Huge fan here as well. I wish they would just release this show a season at a time like Netflix does.

The new season has been pretty good so far, but a bit slow.

I kind of gave up midway on Breaking Bad but I feel like I should give it another shot. Only thing is I much prefer the tone of BCS and BB is a bit too dramatic and depressing.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Better Call Saul is a mature, intelligent show. The pacing is perfect. Nothing is rushed but it's still extremely compelling. My only concern is that all the actors live long enough to conclude the proceedings as intended ;)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
...BTW...that pile of shit Chuck reminds me WAY too much of my fuck-all brother in law...including my shit business dealings with the asshole over a span of 16 years. I despise the motherfucker.
Michael McKean does an amazing job with the character. He and Odenkirk ought to have Emmys locked down for however long the show runs.

Last edited:

neo-geo 2

Raiden's Valet
This show leaves you guessing till the end, this has become a must watch show foe me.

madman

This relates to last night's episode, spoiler tagged because I'm a fuckin' gentleman.

Spoiler:

I was looking forward to this being a pure Jimmy episode and that's what we got. I feel like Mike has basically entered the BB world with Gus as of two episodes ago so it made sense to pump the brakes on his story and focus on the Jimmy storyline since it had the potential to be a huge change in the direction of Jimmy as he inevitably turns into Saul. First off, the return of Huell. Brilliant. I'll have to watch it again but I'm not entirely sure of the whole point of the ex-wife flashback scene that began the episode. It seemed like they were separated, not divorced, and he was hiding his "illness" from her. So what though? Maybe it was to show his slow descent into madness?

Obviously Jimmy had her in the courtroom to rustle Chuck's jimmies. Having Huell plant the battery on Chuck was classic Jimmy. I think between Chuck's rant after he discovers the battery that even went back to their childhood showed that he does indeed have some internal hatred/jealousy towards Jimmy. And Jimmy's case that he made up the whole story about doctoring those documents just to make his brother feel better seems pretty believable after not only the rant, the obvious conclusion that Chuck's "illness" is mental and not physical and the state of the house itself. It all points towards Chuck being mentally unstable and Jimmy mostly being the loving brother despite the break-in and destruction of the tape.

But, as with BB, I could be totally wrong and talking out my ass that they will find in Jimmy's favor. I think even in Season 1 I was thinking "OK, he becomes Saul really soon." I need to watch the episode again and see what subtleties I may have missed. I think there is still more Kim/Jimmy and their law firm story to tell, maybe it's more of a gradual move to Saul rather than a single event. Is Kim the catalyst down the road?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Last night's episode was probably my favorite one thus far. I loved the entire court scene. It sucks that I'm caught up on Netflix and have to wait from week to week like the old days. Ugh.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I always think that I prefer the Mike storylines to the Jimmy ones, but last night's episode was incredible. This series might be the best one yet.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Shit just keeps getting better and better. I was really waiting to see Chuck take the stand.

Marek

Banned
Well I'm finally caught up and it feels good to be waiting a full week for an hour long episode just like in the BB days

madman

Spoilered around last night's episode.

Spoiler:
I was a little surprised to see almost no Mike storyline for 2 eps in a row, but assuming he's now working for Gus, the current Hector and Gus stories are essentially Mike stories. It's been interesting to see Hector's pre-BB character when he's still able to function mostly normally. Obviously Nacho has the intent of poisoning Hector's pill that landed on the ground, but again we know that either doesn't happen or fails since this is a prequel. There is some tension developing between those two, especially with Hector wanting to use Nacho's dad's company to import teh drugs. Which is interesting as the episode starts with Nacho getting an extra brick of coke (?) for Hector from Gus's guys.

This series always keeps us guessing but it seems like Jimmy really is done w/Chuck and maybe that story line is coming to an end. It looks like Chuck is maybe trying to get help when he leaves his house to call the doctor. Not sure if that story will be interesting anymore if Jimmy is completely out of it. There's no real reason to care about Chuck's mental health anymore.

Which leads us to Jimmy's 12 month suspension and his Saul be a star TV commercial. Is the 12 month suspension what makes him take the final steps to becoming Saul? Does he just figure hey I made up this fake commercial guy, why not just have him become a lawyer? The big question is this and BB all happens in more or less the same area of New Mexico. How can be have had a law firm under an assumed name when he was pretty well connected to the law community as Jimmy? I guess we'll find out.

Oh and to see Gus scoping out the laundromat that becomes his meth house was great. And Lydia is back too. Great stuff all around!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Spoilered around last night's episode.

Spoiler:
I was a little surprised to see almost no Mike storyline for 2 eps in a row, but assuming he's now working for Gus, the current Hector and Gus stories are essentially Mike stories. It's been interesting to see Hector's pre-BB character when he's still able to function mostly normally. Obviously Nacho has the intent of poisoning Hector's pill that landed on the ground, but again we know that either doesn't happen or fails since this is a prequel. There is some tension developing between those two, especially with Hector wanting to use Nacho's dad's company to import teh drugs. Which is interesting as the episode starts with Nacho getting an extra brick of coke (?) for Hector from Gus's guys.

This series always keeps us guessing but it seems like Jimmy really is done w/Chuck and maybe that story line is coming to an end. It looks like Chuck is maybe trying to get help when he leaves his house to call the doctor. Not sure if that story will be interesting anymore if Jimmy is completely out of it. There's no real reason to care about Chuck's mental health anymore.

Which leads us to Jimmy's 12 month suspension and his Saul be a star TV commercial. Is the 12 month suspension what makes him take the final steps to becoming Saul? Does he just figure hey I made up this fake commercial guy, why not just have him become a lawyer? The big question is this and BB all happens in more or less the same area of New Mexico. How can be have had a law firm under an assumed name when he was pretty well connected to the law community as Jimmy? I guess we'll find out.

Oh and to see Gus scoping out the laundromat that becomes his meth house was great. And Lydia is back too. Great stuff all around!

Yeah, pretty decent, if a little more restrained episode.

Spoiler:
I don't think things will end well for Nacho. Since he was never on BB, I'd say there's a real high chance he's going to be offed on BCS, likely by Hector or one of Hector's guys after he eventually defects to Fring's side.

Regarding the bricks of coke and Nacho taking an extra, it seems like Hector is just basically trying to push Fring as far as he can in hopes that he'll finally push back and give Hector an excuse to either complain to the Cartel or flat out kill him, and he's especially willing to make Nacho do the heavy lifting.

I assume Gus will be responsible for Hector's bad physical condition in BB. Fring is pretty much not to be fucked with, and I could see him being the one to ultimately get the poisoned medication thing pulled off after Nacho tips him.

I'll be shocked if we've seen the last of Chuck. Add revenge and vindictiveness to his already overwhelming arrogance and I'd say he'll stay a problem for Jimmy.

Re: Mike- he's almost assuredly gonna be hiding bodies in that cement coming up soon here. Only question is for who, though yeah it's probably Fring.

Agreed regarding the long-awaited debut of Saul Goodman. My reaction was HOLY SHIT that's him immediately followed by HUH THAT MAKES NO SENSE THAT'S DUMB.

madman

My thought was that Gus already knows Hector is ill, that's why he told Mike that a bullet to the head is too humane or whatever the exact phrasing was. And we see that Hector is on some sort of pills. I can't remember if we ever learned what happened to him in the BB era, I just assumed he had a stroke. The background on their relationship with each other is excellent, especially knowing that we know how it ends up with Hector essentially winning in the end.

Goddam I love these shows.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
yeah i'm really digging on how much care they put into the continuity. Making sure to keep everything consistent a filling the back story of characters. Even though we know how everything ends up, who'd have thought that this show could rival BB itself