BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I’m thinking about picking up all the trade paperbacks. I’ll take that you have a poster of Invincible in your office that I should do that.

So is this digitally rotoscoped or what?sometimes it looks like it shot on a green screen with a drawn background.
It's fully rotoscoped animation, yeah. All the backgrounds are actual oil paintings.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I’m thinking about picking up all the trade paperbacks. I’ll take that you have a poster of Invincible in your office that I should do that.

Do. The show is no slouch, its great, and some of the minor changes they made to it aren't really that big of a deal. But the comic is (as always) the better version. The comic also *ends*, rather than ending because of cancelation. It basically goes out on top instead of fizzling out like so many other comic properties.

Some of the minor changes that don't affect anything:

William is not gay from the outset. He realizes it after the Rick Sheridan kidnapping.
Amber Bennet is not black (gals voiced by Zazie Beets... oof she cute).
Eve doesn't wear boyshort bloomers when shes in costume.
Seance Dog is actually called "Science Dog." They changed it because Kirkman (or Walker, cant remember) wanted to specifically keep the rights to the character of Science Dog. Other than the name, the story plays out in the books exactly as it does in the show.

edit: Duffles - I assume you've seen the 2nd season by now but if not, this vid isnt a spoiler by any means. Remember that scene where Mark goes to different universes and meets "Agent Spider" who is fighting... Professor Squid, I think? (or professor Ock?).

That's taken straight from the comics. Mark actually ends up in the Marvel 616 universe, (Marvel Team-up #14) meets Spider-man and a bunch of the Avengers, and talks to them about their names. He calls Wolverine Claw-man, and Cap "Flag man." And then in one scene ( like the show) you see him talking to someone who "dresses like a bat and he calls himself..."

ANYWAY sorry for the ramble. They had to change Spider-man to "Agent Spider" because of reasons or whatever, but the guy that voiced him is the guy that voiced Spidey in the Spectacular Spider-man show. And this guy changed up the scene to include Spider-man instead of Agent Spider. Its a pretty cool vid and explanation.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Undone was indeed pretty good.

At least up until the last episode

That completely 'undoes' the entire series. Talk about a Dallas Bobby-in-the-shower moment. It was fun, different take on time travel, alternate timelines etc. But then Alma decides to "save herself" and negating the entirety of the series. If it had actually happened, that would have been ok and just been an ending where the main character is just selfish enough to save herself rather than making everyone else's lives better, honestly kind of like the ending of the first Butterfly Effect theatrical ending where Evan changes a single event that saves the main girl. Or the deleted one where he goes into his baby self and strangles himself in the womb, thus attaining the same goal.

But in this one... the entire series was a hallucination/schizo episode. Kinda lame, tbh. My internal canon will end at episode 7.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Undone was indeed pretty good.

At least up until the last episode

That completely 'undoes' the entire series. Talk about a Dallas Bobby-in-the-shower moment. It was fun, different take on time travel, alternate timelines etc. But then Alma decides to "save herself" and negating the entirety of the series. If it had actually happened, that would have been ok and just been an ending where the main character is just selfish enough to save herself rather than making everyone else's lives better, honestly kind of like the ending of the first Butterfly Effect theatrical ending where Evan changes a single event that saves the main girl. Or the deleted one where he goes into his baby self and strangles himself in the womb, thus attaining the same goal.

But in this one... the entire series was a hallucination/schizo episode. Kinda lame, tbh. My internal canon will end at episode 7.
You seem to have completely missed the point of the series.

Watch season 2 and you'll understand it better.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
You seem to have completely missed the point of the series.

Everything that happened actually happened. Alma just chose to return to her original timeline and help her original mother and sister rather than staying in the new one with her dad and the alternate versions of her mother and sister. Her dad and the alternate versions of the rest of her family lived happily ever after with the version of Alma they'd already had before our Alma inserted herself into that timeline.

No, no point missed. Going by the logic of time travel (as if there were a thing) and by the events played out in the series, they can change things in the past, yes? This isnt Avengers weird timetravel about alternate universes. In this show cause/effect acts just like it does in BttF, Quantum leap (the good one), and your average time travel fiction.

If she went back and changed the timeline to where her dad didn't die, then her going back in time and essentially stopping that from happening would undo what happened. So this was a bobby-in-the-shower moment or like a worse version of Tommy Westphall. Its a bummer. Marred by the last episode like so many other shows. But it was enjoyable up until then.

famicommander

15 Year Member
No, no point missed. Going by the logic of time travel (as if there were a thing) and by the events played out in the series, they can change things in the past, yes? This isnt Avengers weird timetravel about alternate universes. In this show cause/effect acts just like it does in BttF, Quantum leap (the good one), and your average time travel fiction.

If she went back and changed the timeline to where her dad didn't die, then her going back in time and essentially stopping that from happening would undo what happened. Its a bummer. Marred by the last episode like so many other shows. But it was enjoyable up until then.
Watch season 2. You really, really missed the point.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think the point was you had to accept your own shit if you want to change anything like her Dad did and eventually Geraldine does.

Alma finally did in the last episode. Her problem wasn’t that her dad died, it was her inability to accept it and move on.

I’m unclear on whether it was real or a psychotic break (and I think that’s intended) but I don’t think it matters ultimately.

Alma is finally ok at the end.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So there was talk in the movie thread about Planet of the Apes and the fact they made a cartoon in the '70s came up. I watched a couple episodes so you don't have to. I watched the first episode and then an episode from the middle, in which Brent from Beneath the Planet of the Apes shows up.

On the plus side, there was a continuing story rather than being completely episodic, which was very rare for american cartoons back then. The 1980s Filmation Flash Gordon being the only other example I can think of from that era. And the opening is kind of interesting.

On the negative side, it is fucking ponderous. Because of the low budget, there is a ton of repeated animation and it takes forever for anything to happen. Sloooooooooow. The astronauts crash land in the first couple minutes of the first episode, but then they spend almost the entire rest of the episode wandering across the desert. Just a bunch of shots of three people walking from left of frame to right. Over and over and over. Sometimes they mixed it up with a shot of their shadows moving across the ground from left to right. Interminable.

Can't recommend.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I was going to watch Undone until I found out it was a cartoon :(
Sort of. All the scenes are filmed by real actors, then they trace over each frame to create the look of the show. It's actually quite good when the show has to deal with special effects since it's completely seamless with the rest of the show. No CGI that is going to age poorly, no cheesy cheap practical effects.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anyway, new season of Outer Ranges on Thursday. I wonder if they're going to keep on with the whole mystery box thing or if we'll get...something. I really enjoyed the last season.

Then we have the new season of The Boys in June. Once Boys is over I'll cancel prime and probably won't watch much of anything until the final season of Lower Decks comes out. I'm dropping Paramount as soon as the last episode of discovery airs, lol. Honestly I should have just waited until lower decks S5.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Bodkin- This is pretty much Ted Lasso meets Only Murderers In The Building, except not nearly as engaging as either. Will Forte is a naive and relentlessly chipper american who goes to Ireland to make a true crime podcast. He hires a couple of assistants, one a bitter and depressed native and the other a young optimistic overachiever. Of course the case they're investigating unravels into a larger mystery, there's some character development etc. It's not bad but it all just feels too by the numbers and is kind of slow.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Bodkin- This is pretty much Ted Lasso meets Only Murderers In The Building, except not nearly as engaging as either. Will Forte is a naive and relentlessly chipper american who goes to Ireland to make a true crime podcast. He hires a couple of assistants, one a bitter and depressed native and the other a young optimistic overachiever. Of course the case they're investigating unravels into a larger mystery, there's some character development etc. It's not bad but it all just feels too by the numbers and is kind of slow.
Yeah, just finished this last night. It's okay. Had the potential to be good, but never quite turned the corner. Parts of it are almost interesting enough for you to ignore the flaws. The mystery is fine. The characters probably let it down more than anything, but they do grow on you at least slightly.

I swear I didn't know anything about this series going in, so by far the biggest shock in the whole thing came when I let the end credits play through and saw that it was executive produced by Barack and Michelle Obama.

WTF

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I swear I didn't know anything about this series going in, so by far the biggest shock in the whole thing came when I let the end credits play through and saw that it was executive produced by Barack and Michelle Obama.

WTF
I also didn't know anything about it going in. Just that it had Will Forte and it was a murder mystery. I had to rewind the credits when I saw that, my brain was just like "wait what?..."

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The names attached to so much TV now as producers of some kind is weird. It just makes me suspect being a producer doesn't really mean anything.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The names attached to so much TV now as producers of some kind is weird. It just makes me suspect being a producer doesn't really mean anything.
It's generally the executive producer for TV that actually has the power to affect change while the producers are generally just there for funding or name value. For some reason it's the opposite in movies, and executive producers don't actually do anything.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm sure in this case that it amounts to some kind of post-Presidential money laundering thing. But I'd much rather see Obama doing this type of stuff than fake "public speaking" gigs at Blackwater or whatever.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Since it's been a while, was there ever any discussion about House of the Dragon? Personally, I really liked the series 'overall'.

Was that ever talked about? Might be a good time since the second season is coming next month.

Or maybe we're done with GoT in all its incarnations 'round these parts.

Just wondering.

Also, Redanian Intelligence posted pictures of Liam Hemsworth as Geralt for the next season of The Witcher. It's just a costume but I'm encouraged by the consistency in the show's look.

I thought the second and third seasons were much more satisfying than the first season despite the deviations from the source material.

I didn't waste my time with Blood Origin.

The animated film Nightmare of the Wolf was mid as fuck.

The spinoff featuring the Rats called, unimaginatively, The Rats, has been cancelled and the footage filmed is being used to pad episodes for season 04 of the mainline series.

And the 'childrens' show' for The Witcher has been cancelled, wisely. Netflix showed rare good judgement on that one.

Has a network ever botched a series more than Netflix did with The Witcher? It was tailor made to gobble up the GoT audience but they just couldn't stop stepping on their own lebia.

Any, here's Liam as Geralt.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The first couple episodes of HOD were really rough. I almost gave up. Absolutely hated that awful munchkin looking girl. Really turned around after the time jump though.