BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
I watched it on Starz awhile back.. really enjoyed it, don't think I finished the entire thing though.
IIRC I got to the beginning of season 4 and was like meh..

Starz is dead to me after they canceled American Gods without finishing it.
Probably could've closed the whole thing out in another episode or two or a movie.

Do they even have anything new going on in the last few years anyways?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So Netflix added Black Sails, one of the most underrated shows of the last decade which has been kind of stuck in limbo since it was initially aired on Starz and then stuck on their streaming service. It gets compared to Spartacus: Blood and Sand but it's way better imo.

For those unaware it's a very adult prequel to Treasure Island that draws heavily from actual pirate history and incorporates many historical figures. It's basically the backstory of Long John Silver and Billy Bones and where the treasure in TI comes from. All of the dialogue, acting and casting is excellent. The set design is incredible and the maritime battles are very well done.

This is near GOT level production quality and writing, as well as GOT level sex and violence. It's also not as disappointing or as drawn out as GOT. It's 4 seasons at around 50 episodes so it's not too much of a time investment. Highly recommended. I mean how can you not like a show that has Ray Stevenson as Black Beard.
I'll vouch for this series as my personal top live action TV show of all time (so far). Everything Terry says about it is trutn.

Criminally underrated series. It's amazing how they crossed Treasure Island over with actual historical figures so effortlessly. And I don't think any of the sudden character deaths are portrayed in such a way that they are meant to generate social media 'Burlington Bar normie' buzz. They're just a natural part of the story that play out. When Game of Thrones succumbed to the desire for social media buzz to create unnecessary hype, that's truly when the quality dipped. Along with running out of book material to crib from.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I think the thing that really sets the show apart from it's peers is the characters motivations and the way they play off each other. It's one of the few shows where their motivations evolve and morph just as much as the character development. John Silver's starting point and perspective versus his ending point is absolutely incredible. Almost every main character has that level of depth and complexity.

Jack Rackham might be one of my favorite characters in anything ever.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm over the moon to see Black Sails getting some love. I think it was one of the very few things I've watched that I've felt motivated to come on here and praise.

Just to undermine the quality of the comments on in it so far, though - french whore had great tits.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So during prolonged forced periods of not moving, I got around to watching

3 Body Problem - I've read most of the comparisons/contrasts between the book and the series, and I think Benioff and Weiss made good choices. Moves along at a very nice pace while still telling the story. Really liked it, very much liked the casting of some lesser folks in GoT and Westworld in this, and those scripts weren't going to let them down. I assume they'll do three seasons to match the books? This was one of those that made me wonder how Warners decided to be outbid for a show.

Baby Reindeer - goddamn. Talk about living up to the hype. BR is like, hey, this is about a dude who was traumatized, and somehow it will also entertain you, and also make you re-examine many of your existing beliefs. Amazing show. Gadd deserves, and I think will, win all the Emmys. I was trying to explain the show to my dad at lunch today and it was like uh, yeah, you just gotta kinda watch it and please don't hate me at the end. One of the more impressive things I've seen in a while. Jessica Gunning, holy shit, amazing performance.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I wanted to check out some shows on Amazon so I got a free 30 day prime trial lol.

Fallout was surprisingly good and I like the story reveal at the end.

Reacher season 2 was dumb and entertaining, I think I liked the 1st season more but this one was not without its moments. I was glad to see Herc from the Wire playing a good guy.

I’m a bit miffed I’ve slept on Invincible. Watched both seasons. It’s great. Probably the best Superhero shit in ages. Show has great pacing and manages to juggle super hero camp, teen melodrama, serious drama, and incredible action. Is does everything well and nothing overstays its welcome. Particularly the violence. It’s horrific when it’s serves the story, but isn’t over the top shock shit that say The Boys leans in to.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
No?

Earth, the good guys, technologically inferior but on a fast accelerating path.

Aliens, the bad guys, technologically advanced but slow changing, trying to stifle earth's progress and stop them leap frogging them.

Written by a Chinese guy.

Hmmmmmmmm.

I’ve already watched the Robotech cartoon. Chinese guy is guilty of plagiarism.
IMG_7841.png

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I wanted to check out some shows on Amazon so I got a free 30 day prime trial lol.

Fallout was surprisingly good and I like the story reveal at the end.

Reacher season 2 was dumb and entertaining, I think I liked the 1st season more but this one was not without its moments. I was glad to see Herc from the Wire playing a good guy.

I’m a bit miffed I’ve slept on Invincible. Watched both seasons. It’s great. Probably the best Superhero shit in ages. Show has great pacing and manages to juggle super hero camp, teen melodrama, serious drama, and incredible action. Is does everything well and nothing overstays its welcome. Particularly the violence. It’s horrific when it’s serves the story, but isn’t over the top shock shit that say The Boys leans in to.
Fuck all those shows, Undone is 20X better than anything else on Amazon. Watch it now.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Fuck all those shows, Undone is 20X better than anything else on Amazon. Watch it now.

Nah I’m good. I watched Gen V instead.

I found it interesting that Amazon pulled a Disney and appears to have dropped story hooks for The Boys in this show. Not to the extent that say Book of Boba Fett was mandatory to understanding the Mando storyline but somewhat similar.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nah I’m good. I watched Gen V instead.

I found it interesting that Amazon pulled a Disney and appears to have dropped story hooks for The Boys in this show. Not to the extent that say Book or Boba Fett was mandatory to understanding the Mando storyline but somewhat similar.
You are doing Amazon Prime wrong.

Undone is one of the better shows to come out in the last decade, period.

2 seasons, only 8 episodes each, 30 minutes a pop. Self contained with a great ending. Rosa Salazar, Bob Odenkirk.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You should have started with Bob Odenkirk.
We've had this exact conversation twice before when you asked for show recommendations and it ended up the same way, except both of those times you said you'd get around to it when you got Prime.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
We've had this exact conversation twice before when you asked for show recommendations and it ended up the same way, except both of those times you said you'd get around to it when you got Prime.

It’s a good thing I have you to remember for me.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Sounds a lot like the Butterfly Effect.

I have a prime acct, but they started putting fucking commercials in there, so I'll just download it like i do with Invincible.

famicommander

15 Year Member

I have a prime acct, but they started putting fucking commercials in there, so I'll just download it like i do with Invincible.
It's much, much better than Butterfly Effect

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Have you read the Invincible comic?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Undone is really good.

Don't let fami recommending it put you off, I know that's everyone's initial reaction but he's actually right this time.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Bruh. Every issue. C'maaan

View attachment 73939
I've had this hanging in my office for like 10 years.

I’m thinking about picking up all the trade paperbacks. I’ll take that you have a poster of Invincible in your office that I should do that.
Undone is really good.

Don't let fami recommending it put you off, I know that's everyone's initial reaction but he's actually right this time.

So is this digitally rotoscoped or what?sometimes it looks like it shot on a green screen with a drawn background.