BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I watched the last season of Curb Your Enthusiasm for no reason a couple weeks ago. Imagine my surprise when I see the newest season premiered a few days ago.

Anyway, first episode was a dud. They're still carrying over last season's story with the horrible actress girl and Larry's horrible girlfriend. I think this show has run out of steam, something about it felt off. Last season was great though.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Isn’t this the last season?

Also how does it take 25 years to put out what, 12 seasons? Honestly I thought the show went off the air by like 2010.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Every season has been the last since 2005, no exaggeration.

Larry likes it like this. After Seinfeld was renewed for a season, he famously said something like, "holy shit I have to write 24 more episodes?"

Not being bound by network television, he can work whenever he wants with HBO.

I liked the last season, but combined with the death of Bob Einstein (you know, Marty Funkhouser, Super Dave Osborne) in 2019 and everyone's advanced age, the first episode of this season really made me feel there's no gas left.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So, that Night Country finale... huh. I think Issa Lopez is a heck of a storyteller and has a lot of potential, but I kinda think this season of the show really needed a couple more episodes to let things breathe instead of cramming quite that much into so little space. I suppose the sense of vagueness on many of the story fronts was intentional. Reis was fantastic and I know she still wants to box but dang, very talented actress too especially given how little experience she has.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So, that Night Country finale... huh.
Overall I'd probably give the season a 7/10, it's on par with season 3. It started really strong but they definitely crammed too much into 6 episodes and it created pacing issues, but it also felt a little too straight forward and the mystical elements were mostly just decoration. I did not find the actual resolution and explanation very satisfactory. It wasn't the worst but it definitely made me go hmmm... a little too convenient. They also definitely tacked on the last few minutes for all the people that needed everything wrapped up in a nice little package and it felt completely out of place.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I regret even watching this season of true detective. A thin story, weak dialog and interactions with no real expansions on the only interesting aspect -supernatural potential- is completely wasted. Show felt like a low rent twin peaks set in the arctic with a dash of “here’s how it really happened” you’d see at the end of an episode of Monk.

The fact this was universally praised everywhere with 5 stars or 5/5 just goes to show how bullshit the whole industry and media review machine is - completely bought and sold.

Season 1 is the only really decent TD series but I will say the acting in season 3 was very good.

Stick to Tokyo Vice if you want a decent show on Max right now. The plot isn’t groundbreaking, but it stays interesting at least and the cinematography is fantastic.

Last edited:

promking

Armored Scrum Object
No one else laughed at the Annie getting murdered scene?
Where she was rage killed by Scientists lol

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Stick to Tokyo Vice if you want a decent show on Max right now. The plot isn’t groundbreaking, but it stays interesting at least and the cinematography is fantastic.
It isn't any better, it's some Frank Dux level horseshit.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So I can skip True Detective season 4. Good to know, but I wish I was surprised.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i just finished ep4 of this season of True Detective. It's fun seeing Jodie Foster play a curmudgeon cop, so that's a positive. I'm kinda lost on the rest of the show. I'm gonna finish it, but I have a pretty good idea of what's going to occur. It's a bleak setting, but that's also detrimental in that nothing happens there. ALso, why would I care what happens there?

That's good to know about Tokyo Vice. I've had my eye on it, but I haven't even watched a trailer. I might grab a few episodes for my travels this week.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I watched True Detective Season 4 and I'm disappointed. Should have rewatched Wind River instead. Had some hopes for 4 since 3 wasn't that bad.
Season 1 was great. Season 2 between meh and ok. Would consider 3 kind of good and 4 back to meh.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Season 3 of Resident Alien premiered last week, apparently. First episode was funny.

Also started the Netflix version of Avatar the Last Airbender. First episode seems fairly close to the source material but some minor changes were there that weren't really a huge deal. Its getting middling ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, so take that for what its worth.

Hoping the first season coincides with the whole first season of the original.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Season 3 of Resident Alien premiered last week, apparently. First episode was funny.
Fuck that, they ruined the show as early as the second half of the first season. They completely cut Tudyk as the main character in favor of the females and those awful children but they push it into full on woke nonsense territory asap in season 2. He becomes little more than a side character while the women get montages of riding bicycles set to chick-folk, discussing their sex lives, shit there's an entire episode dedicated to equal pay for women that ends with them blanketing the town with fliers from a helicopter, in slow motion set to chick-folk. It's absolutely embarrassing, it's a shame too because the first couple episodes were good and Tudyk is great.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah we noticed that as well, but Tudyk steals the show in literally every scene he's in so it doesnt bother us too much. Im not a fan of Asta, that actress is kinda humdrum. But the other two girls (not the deputy) the town skank and the gal that works at the bar are pretty funny.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Shogun i didn't think a remake was needed but i decided to give it a chance it's not bad so far.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Fuck that, they ruined the show as early as the second half of the first season. They completely cut Tudyk as the main character in favor of the females and those awful children but they push it into full on woke nonsense territory asap in season 2. He becomes little more than a side character while the women get montages of riding bicycles set to chick-folk, discussing their sex lives, shit there's an entire episode dedicated to equal pay for women that ends with them blanketing the town with fliers from a helicopter, in slow motion set to chick-folk. It's absolutely embarrassing, it's a shame too because the first couple episodes were good and Tudyk is great.

Yeah it was pretty bad and the whole thing with the one woman’s “drug” problem was like it was straight out of Saved by the Bell when Jessie was addicted to caffeine pills.

Shameful and boring.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Shogun i didn't think a remake was needed but i decided to give it a chance it's not bad so far.
I quite liked the first episode, it was enough to make me check out the second. And damn, the second episode sealed the deal for me, I'm in. Looking forward to the next one.

I'm a fan of Kurosawa and period Japanese movies in general though, so perhaps it's not everyone, I'm not sure. With all the political intrigue, it has a Ran/King Lear thing going on. And I saw the original Shogun miniseries many years back, and liked it, but this just feels much more intense. And it's from the Japanese perspective, while the original series was more from the European perspective outsider looking in.

Idk, I'm loving it so far. I can't remember the last series that I waited week to week to watch. Game of Thrones, maybe. I think this one's worth it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Shogun is easily the best show on tv right now and at least somewhat into the recent past.

The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Lived is better than I thought it would be and is benefited quite a bit by both Lincoln's and especially Gurira's improvement as actors since the original show. Making the scripts tight and to the point is also a nice change.

And it took me a while to finally get into it, but man, Tokyo Vice is really good. Elgort is really good, the pacing, writing, supporting cast are excellent, I think I'm five eps in now, really liking it. After spending 60 hours on Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth just before it's pretty interesting to compare the two and their similar depictions of Yakuza.