BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I heard Disney is bringing back The X-Files and they put the Black Panther director in charge.

Fuck me.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Foundation is so fucking bad. Not anything like the book at all.

I would agree here. Its absolutely nothing like the novels.

But honestly I fucking hated the Foundation trilogy. Im sorry it was boring as hell and I hated the whole "introduce a character for one chapter and then its 1000 years later" mechanic.

Better off reading the Positronic Man, or the Robots novels.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It couldn't possibly be any worse than the last 3 times they brought the X-Files back.
Yeah those new seasons sucked (aside from the comedy episodes) and the second movie was beyond horrible but never underestimate Disney. They will fuck this up in ways never thought possible.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Yeah those new seasons sucked (aside from the comedy episodes) and the second movie was beyond horrible but never underestimate Disney. They will fuck this up in ways never thought possible.
I guess we'll see. Of Coogler's four films, I loved Creed and thought Black Panther was okayish. Never saw Black Panther 2 or Fruitvale Station.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Went back and re-watched Midnight Mass after recently seeing House of Usher and Gerald's Game and it absolutely did not hold up. It's just so incredibly heavy handed, drawn out and bloated with schmaltzy monologues. It was really hard to get through huge chunks of it and I actually ended up muting it frequently. It's so incredibly self indulgent but it doesn't actually have much to say. The basic premise is solid but it should have been a movie or at most a 3 part limited series.

House of Usher is just on a completely different level.

I've also been half assedly watching the new season of Reacher. I wasn't a big fan of the first but it was fine for what it was and it was certainly better than the ridiculous Tom Cruise version. This season is way more enjoyable, teaming him up with a squad of old friends and having them all play off of each other really adds another dimension to the show. Plus they got Robert Patrick as the villain, dude has been getting tons of work in his old age.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Watched the first two episodes of the new live-action YuYu Hakusho. It's fine. Infinitely better than the American One Piece for however little that's worth. Well-cast across the board except for Botan, which seems like a first time acting job from someone reading cue cards. Hiei hasn't spoken yet, so I guess it's possible he's no good, either. But everyone else is. Directing is fine, effects are fine for what it is, and the pace so far is decent.

It's only 5 episodes, so I'll stick with it and see if it gets better or worse.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Watched the rest. It's solid. Moves fast. They merged the save Yukina and Dark Tournament storylines, so they were able to finish in 5 episodes what it took the cartoon 50. I appreciate that.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, i watched it over the past week. It was alright. The condensed format was much appreciated.

I thought it was about equal to One Piece it's just that YYH is better material to try and adapt to live action. Plus the fact that it's all Japanese. That was one thing that made One Piece feel weird. You cast a bunch of westerners in a live action manga and it's just not going to feel right. Even if it's accurate to the source material.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Mannix reruns on MeTV.

Mike Connors was perfectly cast. All sorts of recognizable actors (before they hit the big time) pop up on this show…Loretta Swit, Victor French…been watching Kolchak:The Night Stalker episodes too.

It’s PB & J level television, but sometimes that hits the spot.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Season premier of True Detective was excellent. Very much Twin Peaks meets X-Files meets The Thing. Looks like it's a proper return to form after the last two seasons both being disappointing in their own ways.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Season premier of True Detective was excellent. Very much Twin Peaks meets X-Files meets The Thing. Looks like it's a proper return to form after the last two seasons both being disappointing in their own ways.
Glad to hear it, big fan of co-lead Kali Reis.

She was a two-weight class world champion pro boxer. Came up the hard way, winning her titles in boxing just before women started getting real paydays. Had to travel all over the world, jump up and down in weight class by as much as 20 pounds from one fight to the next, take short money. The first time she got to fight on TV happened to be the last fight HBO ever aired when they got out of broadcasting the sport. Had 5 losses and a draw before she won her first title. Zero acting experience prior to the director of the independent film Catch the Fair One seeing her at a boxing press conference talking about murdered and missing indigenous women, which is what his movie happened to be about. He cast her as the lead and she ended up with a story credit, knocked it out of the park, and now she's suddenly getting co-lead billing alongside Jodie Foster in an HBO series. Some real life Rocky shit.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I really feel season 3 is much better than people give it credit for. It wasn't season 1, but it was much closer to season 1 than it was to season 2.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I really feel season 3 is much better than people give it credit for. It wasn't season 1, but it was much closer to season 1 than it was to season 2.
I agree, the third season is pretty good. I re-watched it recently and even though it has some pacing issues and I felt the ending was a little lackluster it's still pretty solid on it's own. Strong cast and a good mystery but it'll always get compared to season one. Season two just doesn't even feel like it's part of the same series and was not very engaging.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I agree, the third season is pretty good. I re-watched it recently and even though it has some pacing issues and I felt the ending was a little lackluster it's still pretty solid on it's own. Strong cast and a good mystery but it'll always get compared to season one. Season two just doesn't even feel like it's part of the same series and was not very engaging.
I have a feeling season 2 was just a case of trying to put a novelist on a tv writer schedule. I don't know how long he spent writing season 1, but I'd imagine it was a good long time. Maybe years gestating in his head before even taking it to HBO, like how he'd approach a novel. So when it was a hit and HBO said we need a new season written and ready to go into production in a few months, it was inevitable you'd get garbage.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new season whenever it hits streaming here, but not being written by the original creator feels like a defeat to me. Like the transition from a work of art, good or bad, to a franchise.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I liked how Night Country is opening itself up to being something more horror-oriented than usual. Kali Reis also has a really interesting screen presence IMO, she brings a unique sense of physicality to her performance, probably mainly due to her background in boxing.

Anyone else watch The Curse? It's by Nathan Fielder and Benny Safdie and it is absolutely identifiable as a Fielder joint if you've ever liked his other work. The finale, in particular, was way out there, mostly in a good way. I liked the show a lot, though not as much as I did The Rehearsal.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Been watching Northern Exposure before bed for the last week or so. Never seen it before, it's a very comfortable feeling show. It's deceptively well made, especially for the time. There's none of the usual TV bullshit. It's just a down to earth, well written slice of life with a nice sprinting of old fashioned wisdom. I know it's been pretty hard to watch since the old DVDs went out of print and they had trouble licensing it for streaming due to music rights. It's on Prime now and I think it's worth checking out.

promking

Armored Scrum Object
Me and my wife finished the wire again.. it’s probably our tenth or so rewatch.
I’ve been telling her about homicide life on the street for years,,.. I bought the series on dvd from eBay and it’s so good. We’re only halfway through season one but we’re hooked.
Also very excited True detective is back.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Strain- I hate myself for watching this all the way through. Awful cast, bad writing, unlikable characters, cartoonish villains and eye rollingly predictable. It started out with a heavy Stephen King vibe but morphed into some sort of awful braindead trash drama in the vein of The Walking Dead. Everybody does the exact opposite of what they should at every possible opportunity.

A nazi-vampire holocaust that leads to a nuclear winter has never been less satisfying.

Oh yeah and fuck that goddamn kid, jesus christ what were they thinking? I knew when they didn't write him out in the second season that it was a really bad sign, they were keeping him around for a reason and it wasn't going to be good. It certainly didn't help that you wanted to strangle the actor every time he was on screen. This little weasely idiot made Carl from TWD look like a pimp hand motherfucker.

I did like the half vampire/human gladiator though.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Still enjoying True Detective: Night Country.

Danvers is such a bitch. I hope Navarro punches her at some point in this series.

Series is growing in viewership with each episode and outperforming the most recent seasons of Succession and White Lotus, so that bodes well for Reis' future as an actress. She says she hasn't retired from boxing yet, so maybe she can swing some of this exposure into a big boxing match on a PPV card sometime soon. Katie Taylor has all the belts Reis vacated to pursue acting and is the biggest star in women's boxing. Easy fight to market.