• Samurai Shodown: Sen

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

Yun

New Challenger
I like the first one the best, but I voted for 3. That Ukyo sprite is amazing

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Def my fav move in the game, combo it in or use it delayed to minimize risk.
I'm also a big fan of Ukyo's 'lock'-in' sword attack on Bust (SS3). I think it's QCB or HCB with attack, he throws up the fruit, does about 30 sword slashes and then finishes his attack. Any of those kind of attacks (Zanretsuken, Geneikick, etc)... SNK coined those sorts of attacks, right up to the DMs and SDMS. They're amazing. Capcom's efforts in SFII Turbo were so weak by comparison...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think SNK DMs and SDMs are flashier than any Capcom Supers, that's just how it is. I have no complaints about ST whatsoever, I like the Supers just the way they are. To me ST is perfect.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Capcom usually creates their supers by recycling special move animation frames. SNK DMs often have fresh animation. Always appreciated that.

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
@JoeAwessome..Like your Lazerhawk avatar. Garrett makes some sweet tunes.

SamSho II, IV, III, I in that order. Never cared for 5

Last edited:

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm pretty new to Samurai Shodown having only gotten in to the series because of the Wii. So far, though, I'm really liking II and IV the most. SamSho II has fantastic atmosphere while I think IV feels like a thoroughly modern fighting game given its speed. I consider both to be gorgeous works of art as they're as beautiful to look at and listen to as they are to actually play.

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
14460402.jpg

In my case, the memories towards this game make me choose the second one in this vote. When this great video game saw the light for the first time in 1994, it supposed to me a visual shock, from the first time that I played it.
I remember that Genjuro always supposed a great challenge. In my childhood I was never managing to conquer him on the MVS. Some months ago, I could obtain the AES Dog Tag version, in mint condition (I sold my euro SS2 three years ago). It has been a great luck for me to have added a 'like new' dog tag unit for the collection, 21 years after playing it for the first time...

animated-gif-of-fighting-games-backgrounds-13.gif

Last edited:

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
I chose 2 because it really kicked ass and stood out at the time. I dig 3 and 4 as well and still looking for V and VI.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i previously posted on this thread saying my favourites are ss2 and ss5/5 special. and they are. but the samurai shodown series is a little hard for me to pick a favourite because they all hold their special place. ss2 and ss5/5 special are my favourites, but i really like the difficulty, move set and look of ss3, and the presentation of ss4. also ss3/4 has my favourite ukyo. and ss4 was the first samurai shodown i owned, so it was a big deal for me and the one i spent most time with. loved samurai shodown 4.

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
I'm not surprised most people in this thread are picking II, I love pretty much every one in the series but II was one of the first fighters I ever played back at my local arcade and it blew me away: huge damage per hit, fighting with weapons instead of punches (8 year old me was blown away at this) and a really solid fighting system. It had a parry system that predated SFIII by like 3 years, which is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Also to the two people who picked samurai showdown rpg, I challenge you to defend your decision: I played through it recently and found it nigh unplayable. The difficulty is all over the place, the encounter rate is way too high, and the gameplay is pretty much just ripped from final fantasy. I thought the dialogue differences for the different characters was cool, and inputting moves using command motions was actually super fun, but it felt like an honestly kinda bad jrpg, nothing that could compete with the early SS fighting games.

Slithis

n00b
If I was picking a favourite based on nostalgia then it would be the first one. So many great trips to Matlock pestering my parents for change to use in the many arcades, but one cab that always devoted my time was Samurai Shodown. Not played any after IV though so don't know how they fit in the series.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
i previously posted on this thread saying my favourites are ss2 and ss5/5 special. and they are. but the samurai shodown series is a little hard for me to pick a favourite because they all hold their special place. ss2 and ss5/5 special are my favourites, but i really like the difficulty, move set and look of ss3, and the presentation of ss4. also ss3/4 has my favourite ukyo. and ss4 was the first samurai shodown i owned, so it was a big deal for me and the one i spent most time with. loved samurai shodown 4.
I'm relatively new to the Samurai Shodown series yet I can still appreciate II, III and IV for the works of art they truly are. I love those three so much that I'd kill to have a similar game released today on my PS4! Are the rumors true, is a new SamSho game in the works for the latest generation of consoles?

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I'm relatively new to the Samurai Shodown series yet I can still appreciate II, III and IV for the works of art they truly are. I love those three so much that I'd kill to have a similar game released today on my PS4! Are the rumors true, is a new SamSho game in the works for the latest generation of consoles?

glad to hear that you enjoy ss2. it's a classic. ss3 is an underappreciated gem imo. i also think ss4 has one of the best presentations, but the weakest in terms gameplay in the entire series. try ss5/5 special and see what you think if them. they do play a little differently in comparison to the previous games, but i think they are great.

as for the rumours, there have been some for a while. snk is some what "renewing" its self and is telling the fans that they are interested in revisiting games like samurai shodown, metal slug and even ikari warriors and bringing them to the new gen consoles. but for the time, as far as i know, they are still just rumours.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
glad to hear that you enjoy ss2. it's a classic. ss3 is an underappreciated gem imo. i also think ss4 has one of the best presentations, but the weakest in terms gameplay in the entire series. try ss5/5 special and see what you think if them. they do play a little differently in comparison to the previous games, but i think they are great.

in the year 2016, SSIII is the most well-liked.
SSIV is considered the least-liked.
No one EVER mentions the first SS.
And SSII is also the most popular by vote, apparently.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Xander's masterplan: even the most "lavish" graphics can't help, where animation cuts occur.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Samurai Shodown V 0 0%

:keke:

However, I don't get why so many people prefer SS2 over SS1. After all SS1 is what got the series started and I don't see any substantial differences to justify so much appreciation for part 2. Ok it got Genjuro and a Super bar. But apart from that? Please enlight me.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
:keke:

However, I don't get why so many people prefer SS2 over SS1. After all SS1 is what got the series started and I don't see any substantial differences to justify so much appreciation for part 2. Ok it got Genjuro and a Super bar. But apart from that? Please enlight me.

Samurai Shodown II has an enhanced moveset which provides greater depth than the original. Samurai Shodown I feels very bare-bones by comparison.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
in the year 2016, SSIII is the most well-liked.
SSIV is considered the least-liked.
No one EVER mentions the first SS.
And SSII is also the most popular by vote, apparently.

accurate.

in all fairness i haven't talked about ss3 for a while, but i do remember a time where ss3 was quite under appreciated. people would say how ss3 would of been higher on their lists if it wasn't for the hit detection bug, the quick depleting life bar and the lack playable characters. which for me was a minor complaint. although i find the hit detection bug annoying and would of liked jubei to be in the game, ss3 has my favourite versions and move sets of a lot of the characters like ukyo and galford. and also ss3 has one of the most satisfying ai in any fighter imo.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
accurate.

in all fairness i haven't talked about ss3 for a while, but i do remember a time where ss3 was quite under appreciated. people would say how ss3 would of been higher on their lists if it wasn't for the hit detection bug, the quick depleting life bar and the lack playable characters. which for me was a minor complaint. although i find the hit detection bug annoying and would of liked jubei to be in the game, ss3 has my favourite versions and move sets of a lot of the characters like ukyo and galford. and also ss3 has one of the most satisfying ai in any fighter imo.

I'm really curious how members here liked 3 when it came out in '96. Game mags slammed it and said it was worse than 2. I was prety surprised when I played it for the first time how much I enjoyed it, but that was way later in like...2004? Maybe later even.

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
I'm really curious how members here liked 3 when it came out in '96. Game mags slammed it and said it was worse than 2. I was prety surprised when I played it for the first time how much I enjoyed it, but that was way later in like...2004? Maybe later even.

Honestly I would guess that a lot of the hate to SSIII at the time had to do with polish more than anything. It looks really good and the fighting system is fantastic but it honestly feels kind of like an unfinished beta when played (wonky hitboxes, terrible balance, etc.), and I'm sure that was reflected in the reviews.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I don't know if it was hate, at least here in Germany. III was rather overlooked, everybody was still playing II or the KoF series. Maybe it wasn't the right time to release it? If Zero Special and III would trade places in the timeline, things would've been different.