Best Buy to stop selling DVD's and Blu-Rays next year.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
The fucked up thing I've noticed is that younger people don't seem to be stealing shit the way people our age do. They just bend over and pay for the digital rental because they've been trained their whole lives to accept being nickeled and dimed for digital stuff.

combo of only using closed platforms and marketing brainwashing to identify with corps

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Yeah, and now physical releases are so insignificant that they just give you the standard release with the steelbook 'on the side' so you already have the regular case for the game, which matches better on the shelf anyway. The steelbook is just extra junk I keep unopened off to the side.

If I ever sell it I suppose someone might pay more with it included.
Eh just like Episode 1 toys you will still find them sealed and in droves in 20 years time.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Eh just like Episode 1 toys you will still find them sealed and in droves in 20 years time.
No, you all will pay and pay out the ass for my limited physical editions. I have two unopened Red Dead Redemption 2 shot glasses.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
My local Best Buy closed a couple of years ago. I would still shop there otherwise. But yeah, this is not good.
I never understood the steelbook. It is the most useless thing in the universe. Besides they rust and scratches super easily.
How about those fake trading cards or postcards you get with most "limited" releases these days. ugh.
I wish they would just have cooler art in the manual.
And cases that are not made of the cheapest possible plastic.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I’d buy more physical if I could easily find it. Ps5 selection at Walmart is a fucking joke for example. Not sure where people find them, but I get most of my physical copies online now, which I don’t prefer. Last movie we got was the new top gun. Wife wanted the boxed collector edition. But same with movies, finding 4k ultra blu rays in person is difficult if not often impossible in my area.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I’d buy more physical if I could easily find it. Ps5 selection at Walmart is a fucking joke for example. Not sure where people find them, but I get most of my physical copies online now, which I don’t prefer. Last movie we got was the new top gun. Wife wanted the boxed collector edition. But same with movies, finding 4k ultra blu rays in person is difficult if not often impossible in my area.
Your wife wanted the boxed collector edition? Might be time to consider a divorce. Post pics to confirm.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Your wife wanted the boxed collector edition? Might be time to consider a divorce. Post pics to confirm.
We like the movie. She supports my hobby, doesn’t say jack when I bring home yet another crt or console or pc. If she wants a crappy box filled with trinkets and a few discs of both movies in 4k and hd formats. Whatever, I’ll stand by that.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I can totally see someone taking the Limited Run Games model and applying it to movies and shows.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I can totally see someone taking the Limited Run Games model and applying it to movies and shows.
I hope not.

I think there's already enough established companies that release niche stuff with minimal hoops to jump through that it would be pretty difficult for a FOMO everything is limited style company to be very successful. Plus companies like Arrow, Shout, Vinegar Syndrome etc. already release such high quality products with adequate standard and limited editions that ridiculous cereal box sized ultra special editions stuffed with useless trinkets and cost $200 just don't appeal to most movie collectors and that's really the only niche to fill.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
This was simply a matter of time. Physical media is less and less of a going concern and fewer and fewer people buy shit from big box stores. This gives BB the opportunity to free up space to sell more useless shit that's likely higher margin. Whether that allows them to stay afloat, beats me. Wouldn't put any money on it but there are plenty of less relevant stores that seem to keep the doors open.

I've more or less given up on physical media especially as the market has continued to become more geared towards shelf queens and less on a decent product (audio/visual quality of 4K Blus from the major studios are consistently shit, game discs are just glorified activation codes at this point).

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
audio/visual quality of 4K Blus from the major studios are consistently shit
Yeah it's pretty hit or miss quality wise but what really gets me is the lack of special features. WB has been really bad about not even porting over the extras from older release. The upside is that a lot of smaller labels have been able to license bigger movies and give them proper releases that the big studios aren't willing to do.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
just when I get a top end 4k tv... I had considered a 4k blu ray player, but all the issues surrounding them including notoriously poor film transfers makes me not want to bother

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Early 2000s Best Buy was almost as magical as early 90s Toys R Us. Such a ridiculously large variety of media, geez it was the number 1 place I'd want to visit on the weekend as a middle and high schooler.

It's depressing walking into nowadays. That something special is just gone.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
just when I get a top end 4k tv... I had considered a 4k blu ray player, but all the issues surrounding them including notoriously poor film transfers makes me not want to bother
Just don't blind buy older movies in 4k from major studios, read reviews first. Criterion, Arrow, VS, Shout etc. are usually safe.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
New scans from old analogue movies are pretty fine. New shit is often only shot digital in 2K and then upscaled to 4K.
Nolan and his IMAX stuff is more an exception nowadays.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
This whole "notoriously bad 4k transfer" thing is news to me. Which movies???

Don't know if it's the 4k transfers, but many original 1080 blu rays had indifferent versions released with wrong color timing and other issues. For example, the Lord of the Rings blu rays had a shitty blue filter over everything... Saruman looked like he was wearing blue robes.

Apparently, this was corrected for the 4k version.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Early 2000s Best Buy was almost as magical as early 90s Toys R Us. Such a ridiculously large variety of media, geez it was the number 1 place I'd want to visit on the weekend as a middle and high schooler.

90's Best Buy was also amazing. It was a great place to try 3DO and CDi games. I got to play a JVC X'Eye. I remember the line to try Mario 64 on a giant screen. You needed to stop in at least once a month to see what new 16-bit and portable games were in the bargain bin.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
This whole "notoriously bad 4k transfer" thing is news to me. Which movies???
A lot of it is left over negativity from the earlier days of blu-ray when they were doing really stupid things to try and eliminate film grain. Going way overboard with DNR, edge enhancement, smoothing, color timing etc. But there are some 4k titles that do actually look worse than the old blu-rays.

The ones I've personally owned in 4k that look worse than blu-ray are T2 and Halloween. I ended up re-buying T2 on blu-ray. Halloween fortunately got a really nice new release from Shout that includes multiple versions.

I know the new 4k release of The Exorcist is getting a lot of flack, apparently they totally changed the color timing and saturation. That seems to be a big complaint, they remaster a movie in 4k but then fuck with the color. So they don't usually look worse than BD just different in a bad way.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member

The experience of gaming as a kid is a lot different now compared to when we were that age; doing away with physical media makes that divide even greater. It's weird and kind of sad to see physical games being removed as childhood Christmas or birthday gifts.